ZAG - TAV 10 PRE?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axdks

Hello guys and greetings !.

I recently acquired this danner module which i'd really like to know what can be used for,
and eventually rack. The only info i could find about this, is this company called Zellweger AG used to
operate in switzerland and construct all sorts of different stuff through the years. These weird black plugs
are actually retractable and are used as input and output for looping(?). The only modules that i found these 10 pin
plugs are NTP modules (danish company) ntp 351-100 amplifier and 179-250b limiter, so maybe they are somehow affiliated?.

From the pcb i can see that it is not very difficult to follow the trace and reverse engineer schematic maybe?
also any intrsuctions for figuring the pinout?

aV12UF.jpg

ASef19.jpg

EXeLzD.jpg

Hi! I have gotten several requests for info about these modules. Beofre I wrote about them on gearslutz, I didn't even know that someone else knows or has these.  :)

Over at gearslutz, you can listen to some comparison samples I've made (username Rumi). I've currently got 8 ZAG MLV10 modules.
I have one TAV10, and don't even know what it is for, nor do I know the correct pinout for that one.

They are discrete, built in the Seventies by a Swiss company named Zellweger AG, located in Dübendorf or Uster, close to where Daniel Weiss lives.
Nowadays they build elevator control systems.

The MLV10 mic pres are indeed somewhat related to NTP modules, and fit in the same lunchboxes. The NTP mic pres sound smaller and sweeter than the ZAGs, the NTPs have very special and sweet sounding mids, but lack the authority the ZAG have, and are the opposite of the API smack and mid-forward punch.

The ZAG MLV10 belongs to the best "vintage" solid state mic pres I know. It has a very even sound, nothing sticks out or grabs your attention, but they have authority, weight. They are clear, but have that certain vibe and attitude.
As far as I know, they don't use the NTP M100 OpAmp, but the sound is related to that of the NTP 179-120 compressor or the 179-250B limiters. Interestingly enough, the NTP mic pres have the M100, but lack the heft units equipped with the M100 usually have.
I would prefer the ZAG MLV10 over an API 512c in many cases, and also over many other high end mic pres.
What I use more these days are the incredible mic pres of NPNG and Pueblo Audio, though.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/992547-zag-preamp-info-needed.html

;)

Sounds better than some 1k preamps!!! :eek:

Back