Newbie builds a D-EF47!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsexton

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while and have finally decided on my first Mic Project to build. http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/D-EF47.html
I am a Degreed Mechanical Engineer and have worked in Manufacturing for 30 years. I owned a Commercial Recording Studio for a little over 10 years in the late 80's into early 90's. I'm decent with a soldering iron but electronic assembly from the ground up is a new adventure for me.

Now that you know a little of my background, I thought I'd start this thread to track my progress. I know I'll have a ton of questions and thought it would be of interest to someone else who might be contemplating the same. Be-side's, as nice a person as Dan seems to be I know he would grow tired of me asking a bunch of Newbie questions via email!  ;)

I have the kit and a bunch of parts on order and am still in the process of sourcing parts. I will post pictures as I receive parts and also will post pictures of my progress as I start to assemble things. I'll post any questions that I have in this thread as well and if I have to go outside to find answers I post the answers I find here as well.

Thanks in advance,

John

First question is about Capacitors?  ???

I've got the Vishay Metallized Polypropylene that the BOM calls for but would NOS P.I.O. be better?

I've also ran across some specific "Audio Grade Capacitors" such as AudioCap, Solen, and Jantzen.

We're only talking about a few dollars and if it makes a difference I'm willing to buy whatever is best!

jpsexton said:
First question is about Capacitors?  ???

I've got the Vishay Metallized Polypropylene that the BOM calls for but would NOS P.I.O. be better?

I've also ran across some specific "Audio Grade Capacitors" such as AudioCap, Solen, and Jantzen.

We're only talking about a few dollars and if it makes a difference I'm willing to buy whatever is best!

Short answer is yes. But you can drive yourself crazy and we can go on for a long time about the differences. My suggestion is build it as the BOM calls for and then if there is a quality you think is missing you can discuss where and which type to try. Have fun.

The first of the parts have arrived! A big box of all kinds of components from Mouser!

Attachments

• Mouser.JPG
    Mouser.JPG
    722.9 KB · Views: 39
jpsexton said:
The first of the parts have arrived! A big box of all kinds of components from Mouser!

A box like this is the beginning of everything over here  ;)
Step A) Complete
Best,
Dan,

More stuff came today. The heart, a Telefunken EF800 tube and two Tesla EF800 tubes as backup!

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 21
Also got this awesome PSU Case from Dan Deurloo at www.collectivecases.com!

Thanks Dan!

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 27
Does anyone know the wire labels for an Advanced Audio BV8? The colors are different than AMI, I assume they are the same as Peluso.

Attachments

• MicPCB1.JPG
    MicPCB1.JPG
    635 KB · Views: 60
Dave replied with the wire labels for the Advanced Audio BV8 so I am posting them here for reference if anyone else needs them in the future.

"Red is + and White is - on the primary side and Green is + and Black is - on the secondary side."

Latest posts

Back