Poor Paris

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not interpret the chants during the moment of silence it as as a greek-turkish enmity, but more as anti-western sympathy for the attackers in Paris.

Is the moment of silence (generally expected to be used for private prayers) considered inappropriate to that culture (whatever that culture is?).

I saw it more as showing sympathy and respect for the fallen victims, while there definitely seems to be a lack of proportion between attacks in western nations and similar attacks in the middle east or africa.  A suicide bombing in Lebanon got very little attention from the western media.

JR

PS the downing of a Russian jet for violating Turkish air space seems like it could end Putin's charm offensive with the west. This was not the first violation of Turkish air space in recent weeks. If the pilot ends up in anti-Assad rebel's hands that won't be very good for him.   

JohnRoberts said:
I did not interpret the chants during the moment of silence it as as a greek-turkish enmity, but more as anti-western sympathy for the attackers in Paris.

I can write volumes after volumes on this topic.

Indeed part of the Turkish  (and the Middle East) society has this pseudo anti-western notion. I'll lose my temper again as I do every single time I am up against a moron with that notion. First thing I ask, so why do you have a mobile phone? Why the eff do you wear jeans? Why do you take Asprin? These were all invented by the west and any penny you spend on these go to west.

These are illiterate  morons who have a brain size smaller than a fish.

Is the moment of silence (generally expected to be used for private prayers) considered inappropriate to that culture (whatever that culture is?).

No. It is not inappropriate but also it is not common either. But there are occasions that it is observed ( for example on the day Ataturk died).

I saw it more as showing sympathy and respect for the fallen victims, while there definitely seems to be a lack of proportion between attacks in western nations and similar attacks in the middle east or africa.  A suicide bombing in Lebanon got very little attention from the western media.

This unfortunately does not help the situation either. I can only talk about the British Media. When a suicide bomb killed over 100 people in Turkey it was pretty much like "  ... a suicide bomb exploded in the capital city of..... killing 100 people. Now the Manchester United......." on the TV.

PS the downing of a Russian jet for violating Turkish air space seems like it could end Putin's charm offensive with the west. This was not the first violation of Turkish air space in recent weeks. If the pilot ends up in anti-Assad rebel's hands that won't be very good for him. 

No matter how Turkey was right or wrong this is a very very bad news. Very bad indeed.

sahib said:
Just a little history here. There were no centuries of cultural differences between the Greeks and Turks.  We shared the same culture for centuries and  in spite of  the current modern borders  we still do. The differences only started with the imported "nationalism" from Europe during the declining years of Ottoman Empire.  Same applies to Turk-Armenian relations.
By the way the word "Greek" is a relatively modern word.

A quick read of Wikipedia/Greece/History suggests a slightly different story. But I definitely got your point that Greeks and Turks probably have much more in common than actually lies between them. Especially from where I am looking.

I guess I was referring more to the symbolic notion of Greece as being the "cradle" of "democracy" (with Paris being the first European country to realized it again later) and Turkey as a state that today is often portrayed as "torn apart" and "not knowing what it wants". Modern Hellas sure is not the cradle and the people living in Hellas are not the same people as, or direct decendents of, Ancient Greeks. And Turkey is not the Ottoman caliphate, yet I know people easily have doubts about Turkey, as the country or rather it's politicians are really not making it any easier. So all that makes for a nice and easy-to-pump story.

As for football/soccer stadiums: it's one of those places where emotions are allowed to run freely. But it's also a place where people easily get carried away and then tend to do stupid things. But I'm willing to give  people the benefit of the doubt. Also media tend to pick up unduly on this kind of stuff.

[...]I can only talk about the British Media. When a suicide bomb killed over 100 people in Turkey it was pretty much like "  ... a suicide bomb exploded in the capital city of..... killing 100 people. Now the Manchester United......." on the TV.
Good point. Just found this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGPsvWz2j8

I'm not saying this guy is right in everything he says, but he's making some interesting points. And reading only few of the comments to that video says it all  ::)

PS: Downed Russian jet. Apparently, President Obama has just declared he could imagine cooperating with Russia... interesting move.

Script said:
PS: Downed Russian jet. Apparently, President Obama has just declared he could imagine cooperating with Russia... interesting move.
Unfortunately I watched his whole press conference after the meeting with Hollande and didn't hear anything new ... (except that Obama may have honeymooned in Paris or something like that). Obama  would love for Russia to clean up ISIL but they are too busy propping up Assad by killing anti-Assad rebels.  Obama is going to fight global warming (yes he actually said that at the press conference).

The Turkish airspace that Russia over-flew is apparently disputed with Syrian claims to the same dirt.

Pretty tangled up over there, but with Turkey a member of NATO if Russia retaliates and attacks Turkey that could drag NATO (US) into it.

Doing nothing is doing something, and doing nothing about Syria has led to this mess...

JR

Script said:
A quick read of Wikipedia/Greece/History suggests a slightly different story. But I definitely got your point that Greeks and Turks probably have much more in common than actually lies between them. Especially from where I am looking.

I guess I was referring more to the symbolic notion of Greece as being the "cradle" of "democracy" .........

No problems. Understood.

JohnRoberts said:

Just for note. We have had all the same in Moscow. Not only Europa knows.
Indeed "A suicide bombing in Lebanon got very little attention from the western media. "
So  'Who are we bombing?'

whats up .. u all went  quiet.. US just added some Russian companies in to their black list for
doing business with ISIxzy 

edit: Turkey doesnt have the codes for anything, unless its authorized by US , or NATO

ungifted said:
Indeed "A suicide bombing in Lebanon got very little attention from the western media. "

indeed +

ungifted said:
JohnRoberts said:

I recall the Moscow theater siege with all those hostages. For those of us who get their news from more than late night talk shows such events get reported, but they don't get much attention from the low information crowd. It is worth note that China also has their own domestic terrorists.
I'm guessing you meant that as a rhetorical question but it is kind of interesting to inspect who is bombing who/what in Syria. Russia while claiming to attack ISIL appears focussed on bombing anti-Assad forces (often bombing american provided assets), to keep him in power to preserve Russian access to their only naval base in the region. Turkey while claiming to attack ISIL, is all too happy to hit Kurdish fighters in Northern Syria that they consider PKK who is designated a terrorist group by US govt.

The US and coalition (?) claim credit for how many bombing sorties they fly, while US pilots report being micromanaged often returning with unused ordinance because approval was not given in enough time to use it. The city of Sinjar that was retaken from ISIL by Kurdish fighters revealed a massive underground tunnel system connecting buildings with underground rooms. It's easy to see how an air campaign only, especially if sorties are delayed waiting for approval, could be ineffective as ISIL waits in underground shelters. There is no reason to expect that Sinjar was an isolated example. It is worth note it was taken back with very effective ground fighters (Peshmerga).   

The French seem  single minded and aggressive about attacking ISIL, but again from the air.

===============
I have some sympathy for the US administration position that terrorist events should be handled as a policing matter and not on a warfare footing, but when the other side declares war and attacks you it seems an in-kind response would be prudent.  ISIL has in fact set up an operating state, so they are no longer state-less actors but a state that can be defeated. Probably pretty easily once (if?) all the significant powers  fighting in the region get on the same page. 

It is good that they are thinking about the end game (at least for that region).  Iran and Russia support Assad, while the US and allies in the region want him gone.  In my judgement the Kurds would be ideal to run the Kurdish part of ISIL territory after it is stabilized, but they don't play well with the Sunnis or Shia in Bagdad for that matter, so that would have to be managed by the majority Shia Bagdad government  (not trivial). Turkey would never accept a Kurdish state on their southern border.  So almost more statism (state building?)  than war strategy remains to be worked out.

So for now there are too many competing goals with all involved. Not checkers but more like three dimensional chess.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I have some sympathy for the US administration position that terrorist events should be handled as a policing matter and not on a warfare footing, but when the other side declares war and attacks you it seems an in-kind response would be prudent.  ISIL has in fact set up an operating state, so they are no longer state-less actors but a state that can be defeated. Probably pretty easily once (if?) all the significant powers  fighting in the region get on the same page. 

I agree with the principle that sub-state crimes are non-military issues, and that this has seemingly broadened to a proclaimed state fighting other states. I don't think it's necessarily that easy to defeat it though considering its recent sub-state terrorist roots. Defeating the state is one thing, defeating the movement another, just like the Iraq war showed (as well as numerous others).

JohnRoberts said:
It is good that they are thinking about the end game (at least for that region).  Iran and Russia support Assad, while the US and allies in the region want him gone.  In my judgement the Kurds would be ideal to run the Kurdish part of ISIL territory after it is stabilized, but they don't play well with the Sunnis or Shia in Bagdad for that matter, so that would have to be managed by the majority Shia Bagdad government  (not trivial). Turkey would never accept a Kurdish state on their southern border.  So almost more statism (state building?)  than war strategy remains to be worked out.

So for now there are too many competing goals with all involved. Not checkers but more like three dimensional chess.

JR

Again I agree. I'd say the one tendency we see repeatedly is the desire for self-determination by people, and the difficulty in "allowing them" that when interests conflict.

- And while I'm at it: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!

That is a good summary JR, 3 dimensional chess indeed.

I can't see Obama getting involved unless there is a Paris style attack on the US.  I mean why would he with only a year to go?

He came to office on a policy of US extraction, he is hardly going to put US forces into harms way then leave it for the next incumbent to finish the job, it would ruin his reputation I guess.

The Nazi regime carried on for years under a much higher bombardment than this, so it will be a very long job, so expect terrorism on an increased level around the world.  Russia may end up using ground troops to speed things up, then they will get to decide the outcome and the west will have to put up with the result, that will be the price we pay for no boots on the ground.

It looks like the UK will soon be involved, but I think it is more of a political gesture of support to France than any practical solution.

Strange Days.

DaveP

mattiasNYC said:
Defeating the state is one thing, defeating the movement another, just like the Iraq war showed (as well as numerous others).
I reject the partisan characterization of Iraq as a failed war, in fact it was the peace afterwards that failed, because the US pulled out security forces prematurely (against the military's advice). 

Arguably the rise of ISIL can be blamed on this failure to secure Sunni regions of Iraq, after the US withdrew. The fledgling shia majority democracy in Bagdad, did not inspire confidence in sunni regions of Iraq.  Likewise the Red Line threat, and failure to follow up strong words with action, allowed ISIL room to expand in Syria under the cover of their ongoing civil war.
Again I agree. I'd say the one tendency we see repeatedly is the desire for self-determination by people, and the difficulty in "allowing them" that when interests conflict.
Simple democracy is never simple, especially in the middle east so security must be insured for years (decades?) to give them the time and space to grow their own version of a proper representative government. These don't spontaneously happen, it requires a lot of effort.
- And while I'm at it: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!
Thank you... While thanksgiving is an american holiday, there are many similar fall harvest/onset of winter type celebrations. We forget sometimes how much we have to be thankful for.

JR

DaveP said:
That is a good summary JR, 3 dimensional chess indeed.

I can't see Obama getting involved unless there is a Paris style attack on the US.  I mean why would he with only a year to go?

He came to office on a policy of US extraction, he is hardly going to put US forces into harms way then leave it for the next incumbent to finish the job, it would ruin his reputation I guess.
Yes he appears to be skirting the situation in the ME and declaring re-newed "war" effort against global warming, perhaps because CO2 doesn't shoot back. 
The Nazi regime carried on for years under a much higher bombardment than this, so it will be a very long job, so expect terrorism on an increased level around the world.  Russia may end up using ground troops to speed things up, then they will get to decide the outcome and the west will have to put up with the result, that will be the price we pay for no boots on the ground.
Russia already has Iranian ground forces supporting their efforts there. While both of them are focussed on supporting Assad and fighting ISIL is incidental to that goal.
It looks like the UK will soon be involved, but I think it is more of a political gesture of support to France than any practical solution.

Strange Days.

DaveP
A lot of the recent air campaign increase seems more for visuals to be shown on the evening news than impact. That said I do see a significant change in the rules of engagement. The micromanaged US air effort seems hobbled by reluctance to involve even a single civilian casualty (like oil truck drivers). Taking out the oil trucks could cut off tens of millions of revenue that ISIL needs for their caliphate building effort.

So an improvement, but only by degree.  Somebody needs to take out the garbage.

JR

Latest posts

Back