11 Slot DIY API 500 series rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biasrocks said:
desol said:
Hmm. I was under the impression that API mic pre's in fact did not need termination, and that Neve modules only did with long cable lengths.

It's for proper loading of the output transformer, without it the Neve and API transformers do not perform to spec. All of my API and Neve modules are terminated, it does make a noticeable difference to the sound of the modules. Some people prefer the Neve's without termination because it adds a certain HF enhancement/distortion from the ringing transformer. Dan Kennedy included a loading switch on his GR-Neve channel for that exact reason.

There's a often quoted story about Geoff Emeric complaining that some of the modules in his newly delivered console were brighter sounding. When Rupert measured it he found a bump up around 40kHz or 50kHz! It turned out that the suspect modules weren't terminated correctly.

Mark

Hey Mark... I was referring to Geoff Tanner's post here, about the Neves:
http://www.auroraaudio.net/dcforum/DCForumID1/506.html
I suppose it couldn't hurt anyways right?

[silent:arts] said:
audiox said:
the stock 5pin XLR hole can be used.

The A or B series PCB connectors (that you are using according to the photo) have different panel cut out than the 7-pin NC7MD.

(I understood the situation so that you are replacing the 5-pin PCB connector with a 7-pin wired connector.)

ouch - after checking the pdfs again this is sadly true  :-[

I was thinking about this more yesterday.
You probably wouldn't want to mount the 7-pin on the outside (even though that's how it's meant to be mounted)
because once you did that and soldered it to the board, you couldn't take it all apart unless you de-soldered the 7-pin connector.
That would suck to do.

It looks like there's plenty of room to mount the 7-pin on the inner side of the rear panel (just like the rest of the connectors).

A different aperture is still needed for this connector though, because the mounting holes are spaced & sized differently.

If you use the connector I linked to, it's got a nice, raised bezel around the connector that would pop through the panel and look very slick.

Skylar said:
You probably wouldn't want to mount the 7-pin on the outside (even though that's how it's meant to be mounted)
because once you did that and soldered it to the board, you couldn't take it all apart unless you de-soldered the 7-pin connector.
That would suck to do ...
why? if you use the Molex connector (which is already there) you don't have to desolder anything.
anyhow, I don't see another easy way to implement this.

why? if you use the Molex connector (which is already there) you don't have to desolder anything.
anyhow, I don't see another easy way to implement this.

You're right. That would be easiest.

It would still be nice to have an aperture somewhere on the rear panel to accommodate the 7-pin connector.

Its a game where the name of the company conducting a "test" on you is "Aperture Science".  They have a robot/computer that taunts you with a promise of giving you a nice cake if you complete certain tasks throughout the game but you find out that the "cake is a lie".

Sorry about the bad reference to the game..   ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game)

Skylar said:
It would still be nice to have an aperture somewhere on the rear panel to accommodate the 7-pin connector.
I'm sure Sahib can do a break out for it.

Won't be a problem.

You just don't worry about the type of connector. Currently I am using  5 way Amphenol for my robot arms and you can literally hang the damn case from this connector. There are so many others such as ITT, Hirose etc which are all readily available from RS or Farnell. I have not checked but I am sure Digikey would also sell them. I will look up something suitable and incorporate it on the back cover.

Any Ideals on a time line and cost yet?  the API 503 eq's of PeterC and this Case are calling my name a number of times a day!!!!!

Thanks guys

sahib said:
Won't be a problem.

You just don't worry about the type of connector. Currently I am using  5 way Amphenol for my robot arms and you can literally hang the damn case from this connector. There are so many others such as ITT, Hirose etc which are all readily available from RS or Farnell. I have not checked but I am sure Digikey would also sell them. I will look up something suitable and incorporate it on the back cover.

Cool!

Svart: I'm a fan of Portal! Very fun! And I have evidence suggesting that the cake is not a lie...just had a slice!

Thanks for the PSU info Sahib and Volker.

Can't wait to get some stuff out of the way to make time for development. Bummer about the Neutriks but not the end of the world.

I see Fabio is doing some stuff? cool!!

-Tom

the Neutriks we will offer are somehow special and only build by order.
integrated threads.
won't be fun to screw them on the back without ;D
but we will buy in kilo quantities, which makes them even less expensive.

A_Trusted_Friend_in_Science_by_Gnardog.png

Latest posts

Back