11 Slot DIY API 500 series rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[silent:arts] said:
the Neutriks we will offer are somehow special and only build by order. integrated threads. won't be fun to screw them on the back without ;D

Why not using standard Neutrik A-series connectors that are fastened by self tapping screws? These connectors are available everywhere and immediately.

You can fasten/unfasten the screws tens of times if you are carefull. I guess it is not necessary to disassemble your rack every day...

audiox said:
Why not using standard Neutrik A-series connectors that are fastened by self tapping screws? These connectors are available everywhere and immediately.

You can fasten/unfasten the screws tens of times if you are carefull. I guess it is not necessary to disassemble your rack every day...
well, the A-series is compatible to the (much better) B-series (which I prefer). you can use it.
but I don't like self tapping screws :eek:
if I can have a more luxury solution than other manufactures have for a better price ...  ;D ;D ;D
the lead time, as far as I know, is the cause of the missing case pin of the female connector.
will be the same issue with the A-series too.
now you can say cut it of :D
yes, technically this would work.

are these going to be a kit or are you selling them whole?  If they are a kit why not let those who don't want the 8wk lead time parts get the cases and use whatever they want?

All of my racks are XLR input and TRS output so I would either have to make adapters or just connect TRS jacks where the XLRs would solder to the PCB anyway.  It'd be nice to not have to unsolder all of those XLRs..

Svart said:
are these going to be a kit or are you selling them whole?  If they are a kit why not let those who don't want the 8wk lead time parts get the cases and use whatever they want?

All of my racks are XLR input and TRS output so I would either have to make adapters or just connect TRS jacks where the XLRs would solder to the PCB anyway.  It'd be nice to not have to unsolder all of those XLRs..

Svart, since you will have to solder everything yourself no need to unsolder anything.
no plans for selling assembled units. we are planning on kits, have to recheck with Sahib if we will sell individual parts (backplanes, cases, connectors). I think we will do.

however, will change nothing on the lead time for everything. still need to fill out the business files before ordering anything (and paying PCBs, connectors, metal work), need my VAT number etc. it is not that easy start a legal business in germany  :'( :'( :'(

however, we will be up and ready as fast as possible.

Svart

Maybe just a ROUGH thought.. (Please Jump in Volker). I haven't looked into this BUT
maybe some xlr/rts combo jack on the outputs.  It would most likely be female xlr
therefore the pinouts would backasswards but with the right Svart DIY mod maybe ??

Call me crazy but just a thought. ???

GARY

gar381 said:
Svart

Maybe just a ROUGH thought.. (Please Jump in Volker). I haven't looked into this BUT
maybe some xlr/rts combo jack on the outputs.  It would most likely be female xlr
therefore the pinouts would backasswards but with the right Svart DIY mod maybe ??

Call me crazy but just a thought. ???

GARY
Gary, you are crazy ;D ;D ;D

now, all I/Os are present at two 50 pin ribbon cable connectors at the backside of the backplane.
you can adapt this to just everything ...
my name is not "Klein & Hummel", thus no female output connectors with me :p

Hey all,

I just wanted to update everyone on the 51x racks. Things are progressing along very nicely. The boys are finalizing the engineering to incorporate the Dsub connector option. This has been a bit tricking due to space limitations and the goofy Tascam pin-out standard. The amount of emails with screen shots, CAD drawings, board layouts, daughter board layouts and hand sketches has been incredible the last few weeks. It all takes time but I must say how impressed I am with the attention to detail that both Volker and Cemal have shown.

I can say for sure that when they say they are done...everything will be spot on...you can count on that.  ;D

I would say that when the Dsub daughter board engineering is complete, the large stock quantities will be ordered. That should be any day now.

Cheers, Jeff

Hi Gary,

I think he meant 1/4" only on the outputs, not combo jacks..

Great job guys,  I can't wait for this..

take care
Gil

Ok. This project is sounding great..but...

What is the deal with the built in power and output terminations?
I'm assuming the 11 slot rack will have room for power...which i think i read before...is there a spot(jumpers) to add termination resistors, or will these have to go on the back of the card edge?

Hi Volker,

I am just at the end of designing a mic pre for your rack and am wondering how the grounding works.

Are the XLR pin 1s bussed together?
Are they all joined to one point on the chassis? (or jumper to allow this)
Are they seperate from power supply 0V? Is this joined to chassis?
Is pin 1 on the pcb (chassis) a connection to the star ground chassis point that you have made;
or is it for me to connect to chassis? eg. with the pcb standoff? (I assume not as then they'd
be multiple chassis connections)

Thanks

desol said:
... What is the deal with the built in power and output terminations?
I'm assuming the 11 slot rack will have room for power...which i think i read before...is there a spot(jumpers) to add termination resistors, or will these have to go on the back of the card edge?

sorry, I didn't added any termination resistors.
my opinion still is: if needed it has to be added at the module, not at the backplane.

onlymeeee said:
I am just at the end of designing a mic pre  for your rack...
cool

onlymeeee said:
...and am wondering how the grounding works.
however you want (speaking for the 11 slot rack with external PSU):
each XLR (input & output separately) has jumpers for pin 1.
can be assigned to Ground, Chassis or left open.
Ground and Chassis have separated connections on the PSU connector(s).
too much options ...

Cheers. So XLR pin 1 goes to a jumper where I can either connect it the chassis (and not pin 5 (gnd)).
Or pin 5 (gnd) and (not the chassis).  Then from there, I can take it to the chassis by making a connection
on the mic pre pcb by connecting pin 1 to pin 5. 
Is pin 1 on pcb (chassis) connected to the chassis? Have you done this? Or this something I should do via a standoff?

onlymeeee said:
Cheers. So XLR pin 1 goes to a jumper where I can either connect it the chassis (and not pin 5 (gnd)).
yes

onlymeeee said:
Or pin 5 (gnd) and (not the chassis).  Then from there, I can take it to the chassis by making a connection
on the mic pre pcb by connecting pin 1 to pin 5.
yes. but this could introduce a groundloop.

onlymeeee said:
Is pin 1 on pcb (chassis) connected to the chassis? Have you done this? Or this something I should do via a standoff
no. pin 1 of the Edac has its own "groundplane", pin 5 & 13 the other. both are only connected to the Chassis and GND pin of the PSU connector.

Thanks, so you have connected pins 5 and 13 at your end? So I won't join them on the mic pre pcb.
So the two GND planes go to 2 pins of power supply connector.
So there is: +24V, -24V, +18V, -18V, 48V, chassis, GND. (voltages dependent on power supply)

From the other end of the chassis and GND pins, does GND get connected to chassis?

onlymeeee said:
Thanks, so you have connected pins 5 and 13 at your end? So I won't join them on the mic pre pcb.
yes, both are connected to the same ground plane

onlymeeee said:
So the two GND planes go to 2 pins of power supply connector.
So there is: +24V, -24V, +18V, -18V, 48V, chassis, GND. (voltages dependent on power supply)
yes

onlymeeee said:
my PSU PCB has two separated connectors for GND & Chassis, mainly to form a star ground in the PSU chassis (and this is how it is done in the original API unit)
be aware most modules have [edac] pin 1 (chassis) connected to the metal work

Great. Thanks. That's all I need to know. I didn't know the PSU chassis was the star gnd pont.
So I won't connect chassis and GND at any point my end. I'll probably jumper XLR pin 1 to GND then in normal usage and let it connect to chassis at the PSU end.

Thanks again

Back