Behringer MDX2000 internal pics ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, the 4580 looks pretty okay on paper, but I don't really like it much. One of my MDX2100 had 4558 opamps. Getting rid of that one was sure worth the effort. JRC 4580 + THAT 2159 means your MDX2100 is a farily late one. Last revision, probably. They're pretty okay stock.

[quote author="Rossi"]As I said, the 4580 looks pretty okay on paper, but I don't really like it much. One of my MDX2100 had 4558 opamps. Getting rid of that one was sure worth the effort. JRC 4580 + THAT 2159 means your MDX2100 is a farily late one. Last revision, probably. They're pretty okay stock.[/quote]

Date code is '087' but I don't always know how to read their format. Most other codes I saw had four digits.

I'll be replacing it sometime but I do realize it'll be a small improvement in total since the Composer will likely be used in an insert of a certain mixer that's filled to the brim with 4580's :wink:

Bye,

Peter

I have no idea how their datecodes work. Satanic numbers, maybe :twisted: :green:

Yeah, I dream of replacing some 4580s in the said console. But I don't know if I'll ever find the time. NJM2114 would likely be my replacement, as those are available in SIP-versions. According to JRC the 2114 is a supercharged 5532 (which I like). Mackie now uses the 2114 in some new products.

As i said before , you dont get that many change with the 4590 or 4558 or...... , you should take one that can go to rail to rail like the opa2604.
But then you MUST put the voltage UP to 18V!!!!!!!!
Then these units are great in sound!!! not on 15V but only on 18V!!!!!
You dont have to change the VCA , only the opamps.
I am still waiting for a server to put my pictures on , any one???

[quote author="henk"]As i said before , you dont get that many change with the 4590 or 4558 or...... , you should take one that can go to rail to rail like the opa2604.
But then you MUST put the voltage UP to 18V!!!!!!!!
Then these units are great in sound!!! not on 15V but only on 18V!!!!!
You dont have to change the VCA , only the opamps.
I am still waiting for a server to put my pictures on , any one???[/quote]

To be honest, I find it a bit unbelievable that these units are so-so on 15 V but exactly & only on 18V they shine ! Why isn't that magic spot something like 17,82 V but such a neat value as 18 ? :wink:
(Sorry, didn't have my morning-coffee yet)

But rail to rail, especially on 18V, how does that combine with the circuits before & after the compressor ? Can these units handle all this ?

W.r.t. the server, did you try Mendelt ?

+/-15V as looks okay to me. +/-18V should increase headroom somwhat, but not really alter the sound. Or am I missing something?

I can see, though, that the MDX2ooo might profit from a better PSU. The non toroid transormers look a bit small, and on some units the PSU 'lytics could be bigger. Note also that B often skimps on additional paralleled small caps in the PSU.

I really don't like those 100 nF multilayer ceramics they use all over the place. I measured quite a few after I exchanged them for WIMA MKS-2, and most of them weren't even close to their nominal 100 nF rating.

Changing from 4558 to something like NE5532 or MC33078 is an appreciable upgrade (at +/- 15 V). Going from 4580 to a better opamp may not be very noticeable. But the 5532 or 33078 sure are nicer chips.

Yes the voltage may be 17.82 or so that does not matter , then the knee of the envelope is much better then with 15V , you cant go any higher because it is the max voltage of the VCA , i have looked in to that as well , we even tryed it to get to 24V but the difference from 18 to 24V is too much work but the sound is even better.
The sound by 15V is not so good as by 18V , because the knee is softer the sound is different and because headroom is much better (21V top top to 35V top top) so it is clear that it will sound better.
Personal i dont like the 45xx series , try opa2604 , it is a very nice opamp and it will change sound when voltage goes up (so it sounds better at 18V than at 15V) so if you change the mdx2000 , put in sockets and try it for your self!

[quote author="henk"]
I am still waiting for a server to put my pictures on , any one???[/quote]

http://www.imageshack.us/

Yes i did try that server , but the max of one file 1024Kb is for me just to small.
Therefor i am still waiting where i can put my things?

[quote author="henk"]Yes i did try that server , but the max of one file 1024Kb is for me just to small.
Therefor i am still waiting where i can put my things?[/quote]

I just Photoshop them before putting them on by saving them as smaller Jpeg files.

This makes them quicker to load on the website (especially for dial-up users).

Dear sismofyt , i also tryed that one , bigger than 250Kb is already a problem , up to 1 Mb is a bigger problem.
Do you want the quality it should have , than you need more space.
For rodabod it is nice to hear from photoshop , the only thing is that i dont have it and know nobody that has it or knows how to work with it.
So therefor i repeat it , i do need a server to put things on , and i dont know how photoshop work , i only know a little bit of electronics and audio.

well, the easiest way is just to buy some server space somewhere then. i've got 2GB from www.b-one.net and it's only costing me 4,90euro a month, which also gives me infinite amount of email accounts and www.sismofyt.net + some freeware for creating websites, so you don't need FrontPage or whatever

I am not into computers , know a little bit about controllers(8051) but dont like PC that much , they are tools for me to make my pcb and other things but then it is over , But i do like the internet Yes!!!
This forum is great but it would be nice if the upload zone would except also bigger files then 1Mb , then i would not have to ask you all.
The time i put i at savefile was a big *** because it was gone after 21 days and i had done a lot of work for it!!

Would like to talk about audio , about changing or modding nice audio gear that is normal not good and after some time in changing part can sound like the better stuff there is , that is a kick! to hear it.
Therefor i did change the Behringer mdx2000/2100 because they are easy to change and sound much ...much better than the drawmer stuff that i have heard. Also the (cheep) Focusrite cant do it , you need much better stuff.
The XR2000/24000 gates can also be changed as simple as the mdx2000/2100 and will sound very very good.
But there is not much difference betwene them , you only have to change the audio part and that is almost the same.
The BE2000 would be interested to know what B* did with these small pcb on the mdx2000 and xr2000/2400 , because in the mdx2100 the are gone.
Who can make nice picture of those small pcb's , so if a BE2000 is gone then there is a possibillity in repairing them insteat of throuw them away which is a shame for that nice piece of equipment.

As I said, I was unable to lift the subcircuit board that replaces BE2000 without doing some damage. I can tell you what's on there, though: 1x TL074, 2x CA3046, and 1x BA4558. You'll find the same chips in the MDX2100. So, from what I can tell, the MDX2000 subcircuit was incorporated into the MDX2100 board.

I suppose my MDX2000 was one of the last. The subcircuit board looks like a work around to replace an IC that became obsolete while the MDX2000 was still in production. When they later came up with the MDX2100, they simplified production by incorporating the subcircuit in the new main PCB.

Hey Rossi , is it possible that you make a very nice picture of that small board? So if the BE2000 is dead or the SSM2120 is just to expensive , we could use that design to make it work.
Because we have about 5 x mdx2000 and would like to keep them.
From the picture i would like to make a pcb , every body can get a gerber output from me , i now can host it somewhere , or will make a few pcb's myself to test them.
Then there is nothing on that pcb that cant be changed/replaced.

[quote author="henk"]
So therefor i repeat it , i do need a server to put things on , and i dont know how photoshop work , i only know a little bit of electronics and audio.[/quote]

Op www.Herejezus.nl kun je voor 5? per jaar 512 mB webruimte krijgen.

Everybody who helped me getting some space to put things on , THANKS!!

Now you only have to wait until it is there on the net.

[quote author="tony666"]Op www.Herejezus.nl kun je voor 5? per jaar 512 mB webruimte krijgen.[/quote]

Is that just me, but isn't it odd Tony666 recommends a site herejezus.nl ?! :shock: :grin: :twisted:

What is going on here ? :roll:

Latest posts

Back