Best of the 'affordable' CK12-type capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about that because it look like keeping the some part from the og circuit board.
Here a post from Klaus about what he did: https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=16314944&postcount=5
Thanks for the link
However if I understand what was written the drain goes to the one of the transformer primary leads and the other side of the primary goes to the coupling cap and then to ground? That should not make any difference at all.

How do you retune a assembled capsule? by changing the spacer(s), changing the diaphragm(s), stretching or heating the diaphragm(s)?

How do you retune a assembled capsule? by changing the spacer(s), changing the diaphragm(s), stretching or heating the diaphragm(s)?

From his own description:

So I have to first find the one in the batch that is closest to what would be right, then I rework the diaphragms. Remember, there are mirror image systems in all large diaphragm condensers, front is identical to the rear—seemingly. So I would reverse them, and make what I call a front side selection. Which of the two sides on that preselected microphone would give me the better result?

Then I fine-tune the capsule, physically yank it out and using a torque screwdriver, adjust the distance from the diaphragm to the backplate and maybe even adjust the two backplates together. There are basically four parts to this sandwich: diaphragm, backplate, backplate, diaphragm. How these are put together determines midrange behavior, and also determines high and low frequency behavior.

So you have, within a certain range, some tolerance for discretionary adjustment. I can either tighten or slacken a little bit. Or I may take a diaphragm off and try another diaphragm, one with a different resonance frequency. I know from experience how a certain resonance frequency translates into upper midrange behavior.

I’m not sure how well that works with capsules that are glued in, not to mention tightening beyond torque specs could compress the spacers to the point of damage. Loosening may result in future movement too.

I agree, @Gus - the better solution would be to use thicker/thinner spacers and tighten to the same torque specs as the original.

From his own description:

So I have to first find the one in the batch that is closest to what would be right, then I rework the diaphragms. Remember, there are mirror image systems in all large diaphragm condensers, front is identical to the rear—seemingly. So I would reverse them, and make what I call a front side selection. Which of the two sides on that preselected microphone would give me the better result?

Then I fine-tune the capsule, physically yank it out and using a torque screwdriver, adjust the distance from the diaphragm to the backplate and maybe even adjust the two backplates together. There are basically four parts to this sandwich: diaphragm, backplate, backplate, diaphragm. How these are put together determines midrange behavior, and also determines high and low frequency behavior.

So you have, within a certain range, some tolerance for discretionary adjustment. I can either tighten or slacken a little bit. Or I may take a diaphragm off and try another diaphragm, one with a different resonance frequency. I know from experience how a certain resonance frequency translates into upper midrange behavior.

I’m not sure how well that works with capsules that are glued in, not to mention tightening beyond torque specs could compress the spacers to the point of damage. Loosening may result in future movement too.

I agree, @Gus - the better solution would be to use thicker/thinner spacers and tighten to the same torque specs as the original.
I'll try to be kind. I don't doubt Klaus' knowledge, but everything publically posted by him is just meant to confuse, throw off anyone who is trying to do the same, at the same make mystery about his process and present him self as some kind of sorcerer. All stated here is a nonsense, and to anyone who has ever done anything with any kind of capsule this should be very obvious.

Spacers in the capsules he talks about are metal, and if you tighten them all you do is risking to snap the plastic tensioning tings. This will not do anything to the sound.

When you change the aspect of the capsule he is talking about you change the voicing, but mess up the pattern polar response of the capsule.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back