C800G

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should be getting my beringer B2 pro back today. It has a 797 6 micron multipattern capsule. I think it will be mounted in the sony type clone.

I put the capsule from the b2 pro in the 800 type today. I had the Vm1 setup next to it. Turned them on let the run for about an hour. That 797 audio capsule sounds good with good electronics behind it!!!!! Wow what a difference from the other china capsule.

The 800 type seems to "sound " better than my VM1 now note it could be the more open grill in the 800 type. I might change the transformer in my VM1 and an electro cap.

Someone must have helped out 797 audio with their 34mm capsule design!

The one in my MXL 2003 and SP C1 sound OK as well they are a different cardiod back backplate design.

Maybe I just got a good one it sounds like a good k87 capsule.

With good electronics the other 32mm china capsules I HAVE sound dull compared to the 797 audio capsules I have.

Is it possible to use power supply from Nady TCM1050 for C800 ?
What kind of Jensen would be suitable for mic, Jensen JT-DB-E uncased ?

The nady power supply has two output voltages 200VDC and about 6VDC for the heater IIRC (If I Recall Correctly) I would think 7:1 to 12:1 would work fine for the output transformer.

If you want to use the Jensen JT-DB-E I would use the cased one if you are building the body and grill. I used a Lundall 7903 wired 8:1.

If you want to read more on transformers for microphones look at Klaus's forum.

[quote author="Gus"]The nady power supply has two output voltages 200VDC and about 6VDC for the heater IIRC (If I Recall Correctly)...[/quote]Since your design uses a 280V supply, can it be modified to work off 200V?

Tim

The supply is now zener regulated to 230VDC. The real sony runs about there. The 200VDC should work. A person might want to adjust the voltage to the capsule via the "top" resistor and maybe the cathode resistor. You will want more than 1.1VDC at the cathode.

There is a real sony schematic with voltages in this thread.

The microphone and PS have changed from the early posts. Now the microphone has a B2 pro capsule and mount cardiod only now. The power supply is going to change a little and a pattern control might be added. If I add the pattern control I will add a switch to drop the rear skin in cardiod pattern.

I would like to find heatpipe so I could make a copper sleeve to transfer the heat outside of microphone body The heat of the tube causes outgassing in the glass, this can lead to more noise.

FWIW I built this microphone more to find out why the real C800G is considered to be a GOOD microphone. Not wanting to spend the thousands of dollars for one I built something like it. I learned alot. Would I build this again I don't know I am not sure if the 6AU6 tube is the best at the operating points of this circuit. FWIW my ears seem to hear lesss noise with NO grid to ground R?

Maybe a EF86 based circuit at 230VDC B+ a 100k plate resistor and a cathode resistor giving about 1.5 VDC at the cathode. Instead of the neumann G3 to ground, G3,G2 and the plate connected together like the sony.

So much to do and learn

Is it possible to upper voltage in Nady power supply to 230 V ?
It is ideal for such project because of pattern switch on it.

It might be possable to get more voltage out. I have not traced the power supply circuit. IIRC the PS uses two 100V zeners at the last stage of filtering. You might be albe to add a 24V zener at 1 watt to the two for 224VDC this might need the resistor(s) between caps beening replaced with lower resitance values .

The pattern control will need to be modded a little to drop the capsule voltage IIRC it is 100V at the middle.

Did you record with it ? Will B2 capsule stay in the microphone ? Does it worth to build it ?

[quote author="Gus"]Maybe a EF86 based circuit at 230VDC B+ a 100k plate resistor and a cathode resistor giving about 1.5 VDC at the cathode. Instead of the neumann G3 to ground, G3,G2 and the plate connected together like the sony.[/quote] Gus... I'm all for this one!!
Thanks for all your work...I have learned a lot from your work!

Peace!
Charlie

I would like to ask. Who has built this circuit or is thinking of building it?

Why I asked? I want to build it again with a EF86 3 watt metal film plate R and maybe a different transformer. Maybe multpattern.

I can draw something up and scan it if people want.

I am thinking we could use a modded G7 circuit board and a different power supply circuit

I think the extra B+ voltage is a big part of the sony sound.

I would think we could make the parts fit in bar rail tubing, like a few people have done. I think this might help make it easyer to build all over the world

I just have not had the time to build it . I have been busy with other things.

[quote author="Gus"]I would like to ask. Who has built this circuit or is thinking of building it?

Why I asked? I want to build it again with a EF86 3 watt metal film plate R and maybe a different transformer. Maybe multpattern.

I can draw something up and scan it if people want.

I am thinking we could use a modded G7 circuit board and a different power supply circuit

I think the extra B+ voltage is a big part of the sony sound.

I would think we could make the parts fit in bar rail tubing, like a few people have done. I think this might help make it easyer to build all over the world

I just have not had the time to build it . I have been busy with other things.[/quote]

Hi
I will build one C800G with 6X4 tube rectifier with three caps and two resistors and with zeners and poly cap. I use 250V-0-250V secondary with 6V for rectifier heater and 10V for stabilized voltage for 6AU6. I measured off-load PSU and I can get (on-load) 230V but voltage for 6X4 was about 5,2V on load and I must order new one with higher voltage.
I will use original schematics (500M I cant find but I have one 1G) with Lundahl LL1577 (who is 7:1) and with SKE106. I will locate 6AU6 outside chassis (like Sony). I will put some pic on my site when I make it.
Gus thanks for some details and for support.
Also I make one G7, one Ela M and this one. Maybe I will buy one B2 for chassis and capsule. Does anyone have B2 schematic?
Best to all
Duka

The nady 1050 problems IMO.

The older transformers do not sound good to my ears. Marik has posted that the newer ones LOOK to have a different core lam alloy I have not heard a newer one.

Capsule is a 32mm 3 micron not bad sounding(better than most of the 6micrion 32mm IMO) but not as good as a 34mm 797 3 or 6 micron IMO.

I have not tried a JP capsule 32mm or 34mm

Tube soldered in in older ones

Good for a base to build from easy to change parts (except for the tube)

OK power supply IIRC 200VDC B+ and about 6V DC heater with pattern control.

I would use a mini tube with wire legs and solder it to the PCB or install pins like Marik did and cut and rewire traces for an EF86. Relam the transformer or install a new one 7:1 to 12:1 good core and size.

Upgrade some of the caps to taste.

I would think more VM1 with the 1050 than c800g

Too bad Behringer doesn't make a tube version of the B2. :wink:

BTW, has MXL obsoleted the V77? Just noticed it's not on their website any more.

Gus,

Thanks for the advice. My 1050 is one of the newer ones. So the tube is not soldered. There's no wrinkles in the membranes either!:green:

I have a SCM1000 and I like the way that mic sounds better overall, though it doesn't have the "tube sound". It has the larger capsule and I originally bought the 1050 with the thought of swapping the capsules.

Was there ever a group buy or full report on the relammed original trafo? I remember that being discussed but never saw the conclusion.

Thanks again!
Charlie

I recieved the relamed v67 transformer from Chris. Thanks Chris. When I install it I will post.

[quote author="Gus"]I recieved the relamed v67 transformer from Chris. Thanks Chris. When I install it I will post.[/quote]I am REALLY excited about this! I am very hopeful that this will be a very easy but worthwhile mod.

Gus, do you think the diaphragm in the scm1000 is the one you speak of as being better? N@dy says it is "1.1 inch, 3 micron" Would you advise I swap this capsule into the 1050? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Charlie

Latest posts

Back