collins 'minimixer' project finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gang of elk

mini, as in 2 x 2 x 1.. not as in lbs/kg. :green:

modules are from a collins 212E-1 console, circa '57-'63. the 2 preamps are 356A-1's and the limiter is a 356E-1 vari-mu.

collins4.jpg

the preamps have 40db of gain and 28db of feedback so i rigged a switch to raise R in the feedback loop and boost gain to 65db or so. with no feedback it's a very colorful amp. in the 'low' / 40db position, the preamps are flat and sound robust and articulate, quiet as a mouse.

there's also a switch to send each preamp signal to its direct output or to the limiter. the signals can be blended into the limiter's input.

collins2.jpg

the limiter has a 600 ohm T on it's input and a pot for variable threshold. the output is followed by a fixed 20db pad then another 600 ohm T for final level control. it's all very usable considering these modules were designed to operate at such high levels.

collins3.jpg

i lucked out and found these matched tubes (and a new 6386 for $30!) from nice ham radio guy.

collins6.jpg

total of (4) 600 ohm mallory T's (thanks NewYorkDave!) help keep levels under control.

collins5.jpg

homebuilt PSU made w hammond 369ax, original collins choke from 26U, and dual cap from angela. it's putting out 302Vdc under load, just right!

collins7.jpg

thanks to everyone here at the lab and especially to NewYorkDave for all his contributions to the subject of passive mixing.

I can't believe this fell halfway down the page with only two replies.

Wait, I know why: everybody is simply left speechless by the awesomeness of what you have built.

:thumb:

You know, I love those serious toggles on the front panel. I can hear the "thunk!" just from looking at the photo. It looks like a control panel from a Con Ed plant, circa 1955.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I can't believe this fell halfway down the page with only two replies.

Wait, I know why: everybody is simply left speechless by the awesomeness of what you have built.

You know, I love those serious toggles on the front panel. I can hear the "thunk!" just from looking at the photo. It looks like a control panel from a Con Ed plant, circa 1955.[/quote]

Yup speechless. It's so professional looking. I'm a navy brat so I thought it looked like some naval radio. :roll:

Is it a rebuilt Collins or did you rack the pres and compressor yourself?

ok I'm selling my scope and soldering iron now... dusting off my old Brother.

Kiira

Collins mixer.
Just add vodka! :razz:

Now that's thinkin outside the chassis.
Cool project.
Envisioned.
Realized.
Put forth.

And from this day on, you are the Collins Meziah!

yeah, and back when they made metal name plates.
no plastic on that bad boy.
have to drop the chassis from a high rise to bend it.

I see more UTC!!!!

hey dave, thanks for throwing a rope! :grin:

yes i'm a fan of those toggles too, the main reason i used them is because they're in healthy supply at my local electronics shop.

kiira, the modules are original collins modules that i just racked up. same tune we've all heard before, par-metal, front panel express. (may god/satan bless them both!!) oh yea, knobs, meters, and cinch-jones connectors are all NOS from richard at leeds electronics in brooklyn.

i'm thrilled you guys and girls like it, yer a tough crowd! i put alot of thought into the layout and i think it has paid off. it's very simple to operate and the feedback switch modification really gives it a jekyll-and-hyde personality, can be perfectly behaved and honorable one minute, then (thunk).. downright mad. :twisted:

edit: can't spell

That is soooooo freakin' cool. :cool:

Weird coincidence, I just decided to build a 356E clone and I've been thinking about building it into this Bogen MXM-A mixer I have with a few One-Bottle pres in front of it with direct/mix options.

So mine would be like a scrappy little cousin to yours. Pretty soon I'll start dressing like you. :green:

Man I can dream about using that on snare.
Put a SM57 2" away from the head and an omni about 12'
away pointing straight up. Route both of them tru the compressor.
Hey! bring that thing over to Nashville and I'll use it on my next session.

RonL

http://www.nashaudio.com

Latest posts

Back