collins 'minimixer' project finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone! Seems to be a good bunch of people here that I can relate to.
The Collins Creation is really outstanding! Beautiful work!!!!
It makes the decision tough to restore the 212 console I have or to rack the pre's up. The ADC iron is sweet stuff that has it's own flavour and really is just as nice as UTC in my opinion. Especially the older pieces.
What was that B'cast transmitter I saw down the posts? It sure wasn't a KW1. Maybe a 300G?
Will have to get the hang of this Forum posting so I can look back at the previous postings.
More later after a nights sleep.
Enjoy!
Bill, KB3DKS/1 AM Rules!

hi bill, welcome to the lab! would love to hear more about your console sometime. what's the configuration? i have full documentation and parts lists for the 212 if you ever need info..

Restore the console! This trend of ripping apart old consoles and racking the pres is very disturbing, IMHO. Complete consoles of this type are going to become rare for that very reason--so if it were mine, I would restore it.

Oh, man! That thing is a BEAUTY!!! Good job! :thumb:

Sound samples now! :cool:

[quote author="DOX-EMF"]It makes the decision tough to restore the 212 console I have or to rack the pre's up.[/quote]

Welcome, Bill. I say restore the 212. It will take some effort, but once you're done, you'll be glad you didn't chop it up!

Where in NE are you, BTW?

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Restore the console! This trend of ripping apart old consoles and racking the pres is very disturbing, IMHO. Complete consoles of this type are going to become rare for that very reason--so if it were mine, I would restore it.[/quote]

Well the modules are just that, modular. You can pull them out, throw them in a new case with new wiring, and the original chassis would never know. It doesn't have to be a real chop. You'd do more harm to the original trying to rewire it for modern studio requirements, like direct outs and the like.

Welcome, Bill,

That xmtr you saw is my Collins 30K-2 circa '55. I use it on 3885 kc.
Here's it's modulation transformer.

It's very loud. :shock:

See you on 3885. OM.
Larry/KB4YXT

modxfmr.jpg

[quote author="MikoKensington"]
Well the modules are just that, modular. You can pull them out, throw them in a new case with new wiring, and the original chassis would never know. [/quote]

good point, the module are very easy to remove/replace.

BUT if i had a chassis i'd use it!

Collins-212E.jpg

badass.

I built a small, low power, pirate FM station for Robin Gibb in the mid 80's.
It used a Collins 212, and sounded phat!

He would switch the station on late at night, and people driving around Miami Beach would hear this crazy British voice playing odd euro-cuts.
Never knowing who it was, haha.

I bet he still has that thing too. Better check!

Don't worry, I won't carve it up. :thumb:

Re: Collins link, Dave..there is a 12-step program now for these folks.
Sadly, The disease knows no racial or geographic boundries.
japancollins.jpg
ww9w.jpg

While there is no cure and it can only be managed, Some are able to lead full lives with support groups and meetings.

WOW !! Nice reception!

My 212 is the mono version. Don't have the info at home here but do have the complete manual set. Thanks!

I would NOT chop it up! But an outboard rack that would accept the modules could be done I agree. Had planned to use this with my Ham station but since recently moving to North Adams MA have not put anything on the air as yet.

Building from scratch with the misc pieces of stuff that I have is much more fun anyway.

There are several goodies on the list of projects here:
The 212 console restore.
An RCA BC-2B Consolette basket case that is all intact but in pieces.
It has real nice dual mic pre's and was rescued from a Rec Studio
Tech who wanted to hack it up.
A recently obtained small McCurdy 60's solid state Class A electronics
console originally from WBZ Boston radio. Beautiful Hammond Iron
that specs out as good or possibly better than the High$ UTC.
I would love to find the tube type version of these McCurdy units.
Finally a little known and little jewel in the rough, several Ivie 5000 racks
that use Jensen input and the modules include a 6 X 2 mixer, a 5 X 1 mixer, a real nice comp lim, and various eq's and amplifiers.
If anyone has tech info for these Ivie units please let me know.

I am a life long live Engineer and now do mostly work in NYC and Phila
building and servicing several DAW/ analog production rooms.

Larry,
Nice mod Iron ! I brought a 300 G back from North Texas a couple years ago for a Ham in Conn when I was returning from delivering an API
Console to T-Bone Burnetts personal studio in Los Angeles.
About the same weight for both units.
BTW I found a Gates BC-1T here that's setting in my storage now.
I have talked to Florida from my old QTH but have no wire up as yet here.
Viking II, CBS Volumax, Urei Parametric EQ, GE-Mic pre with a pair of 6J7
SE, RCA Small Ribbon mic.

This forum looks like it's going to be fun!!
Thanks everyone !
Off to work.
Bill

An RCA BC-2B Consolette basket case that is all intact but in pieces.
It has real nice dual mic pre's and was rescued from a Rec Studio
Tech who wanted to hack it up.

Kudos on saving that from being hacked up. The preamps have become somewhat legendary so the consoles themselves are in danger from people who want to part them out. But they're classic consoles and they deserve a better fate than that.

RCA-BC-2B.jpg

Do you have a manual for yours, or any other documentation? The ONLY BC-2B technical document I've come across is this preamp schematic:

http://www.groupdiy.twin-x.com/albums/userpics/10031/RCABC2BPreamp.jpg

However, I DID find these gorgeous color ads from 1952. I scanned them and uploaded them--but be warned, it's a large file (6.5MB).

1952 RCA BC-2B ads. Right click and "save as..."

If you ever decide you don't have time for the project and you want to sell the pieces, please let me know. I'm also in the northeast :grin:

[quote author="Larrchild"]While there is no cure and it can only be managed, Some are able to lead full lives with support groups and meetings.[/quote]

Just look at the smile on those faces! Would think they've never had a bad day in their whole life.

Dear lord! :shock:

Dave,
I wish there was a pix to post of the console. I found out a little of it's history and a bootlegger, later broadcast engineer had it and added a lot of holes to the panel. Switches pots jacks ,etc. The worst thing tho was his initial drilled thru the round RCA center logo with a light behind it.
I have also had no luck in finding a manual for this. Will really need it too. Also have several of the RCA Broadcast equipment catalogs from back then as well. Tried for two years to pick up a BTA-1 I kw transmitter from a station but the owner was so worried about the PCB containing components he wouldn't let it go.
Currently been restoring with slight studiofication a pair of BA-1as that will become available before too long. An amazing preamp ! Only one coupling cap and great power supply rejection for an SE circuit. I wanted to rack the pair with the proper metering for the tubes, Lit VU meters and input / output attenuators so they can be gainstaged.
Depends on my time and finances just how much of that will get done tho. Have all the pieces to do it.
The workshop is well equipt but a very small bench area so only one thing at a time gets done. The parts and reference room is twice the size but no space left there either.
Enough for now. So many projects, so few hours in the day.
Bill

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Larry and Bill,

Ever see this page? This guy is livin' the life!

http://www.isquare.com/personal_pages/ras-hardware.htm[/quote]

I believe this is the gentleman who has been doing outstanding work
restoring the KW-1s on consignment and for sale. A Ham Op in Conn
just bought one and says it is perfect and I have heard it on the air and agree.

KW-1s bring 20 grand easily these days. I looked at the detail he restores to and it's very fine.

He STARTS with stuff I would just run and makes it factory.

And folks, if you ever wondered why Dakaware knobs are 25 bucks, blame these Collins collectors, lol.

If I wasn't one, I'd be pissed!

Larry

Regarding the 212, I think if i got me one, I'd Carefully take out some modules, wrap it up and make Exactly what gang of elk made. I Love that thing! :grin:

By the way, he's an off-air recording of my Hi-Fi AM station from 1000 mi away in Annapolis Maryland. Not bad for AM modulation, I dare say.

http://www.globalnetvillage.com/design/YXT-75mFeb13th.mp3

[quote author="Kingston"][quote author="Larrchild"]While there is no cure and it can only be managed, Some are able to lead full lives with support groups and meetings.[/quote]

Just look at the smile on those faces! Would think they've never had a bad day in their whole life.

Dear lord! :shock:[/quote]

LOL. They are some REALLY happy guys ain't they! :razz: :razz:

Kiira

Back