Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scodiddly said:
I did watch most of his acceptance speech last night. Very authoritarian, though some people will go for that.

The basic theme is that the world is falling apart, crime is rampant, etc. etc., and only a strongman can do anything about it. 
That almost sounds like a politician...  Usually they say "only they" can solve it.  ::)

My sense is that the world is not self-organizing into a peaceful prosperous state, but requires being nudged in the right direction by good intentioned people, otherwise those with bad intentions are free to act unopposed.

Trump does seem overly nationalistic, which seems consistent with recent populist trends around the world.  For better or worse, mostly worse.
Never mind that killings of police officers has been dropping for years, and is not higher than usual this year.

All police deaths appear flat (only up 6%). Firearms related deaths do indeed appear to be up this year compared to same months last year. A short term trend can be different than the long term trend.
========

Preliminary 2016 Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities

January 1 through July 23, 2016 vs. January 1 through July 23, 2015

2016     2015 % Change
Total Fatalities   67         63  +6%
Firearms-related 32                 19         +68%
traffic related          24                 29       -17%
other                          11                 15       -27%
Please note: These numbers reflect total officer fatalities comparing
January 1 through July 23, 2016 vs. January 1 through July 23, 2015

from  http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/

=====
Statistics can be parsed to tell different stories. I perceive a decline in respect for police officers in media and from political leadership with a growing sense in some segments of the public that they are deserving of being targeted for violence. 

All professions have a tiny fraction of bad apples, the police are not immune from that.  The difference today is that every incident is now national (international?) news, not some back of the local newspaper story. Public awareness is molded by this wall to wall coverage, now often accompanied by graphic smart phone or police car video. 

JR

I heard today that Trump was 3 points clear of Clinton.

I don't think this is because he has done anything spectacular, if anything he has moderated a little, but it appears that Clinton's campaign is unravelling.

The news that the democratic party chief has resigned over the Sanders bias emails has infuriated Sanders supporters and given credence to Trump's claim that the system is rigged.  I can't see those people switching to Clinton now, they may not vote or even vote for Trump in protest.

Who would have thought these incidents would have happened at the start of the year?

DaveP

The basic theme is that the world is falling apart, crime is rampant, etc. etc., and only a strongman can do anything about it.

That almost sounds like a politician...  Usually they say "only they" can solve it.

Politicians that are optimistic and send people a message of positivity tend to rise to the top in US.
I think that is Hillary's opportunity in the coming months.

Trump got a bounce after the convention and is looking competitive. Amazing.

RCP Average 7/11 - 7/24 -- -- 44.1 43.9 Trump +0.2
CBS News 7/22 - 7/24 1118 RV 4.0 44 43 Trump +1
CNN/ORC 7/22 - 7/24 882 RV 3.5 48 45 Trump +3
LA Times/USC 7/18 - 7/24 2083 LV -- 45 41 Trump +4
Gravis 7/21 - 7/22 3462 RV 1.7 51 49 Trump +2
Reuters/Ipsos 7/16 - 7/20 1232 RV 3.2 36 40 Clinton +4
Rasmussen Reports 7/18 - 7/19 1000 LV 3.0 43 42 Trump +1
Economist/YouGov 7/15 - 7/17 925 RV 4.5 41 45 Clinton +4
NBC News/SM 7/11 - 7/17 9436 RV 1.4 45 46 Clinton +1

The news that the democratic party chief has resigned over the Sanders bias emails has infuriated Sanders supporters and given credence to Trump's claim that the system is rigged. 

Sanders has criticized the party system too - apparently for good reason. She should resign.

It appears this hack of the DNC was orchestrated by Russia. Does anyone else find Trump's buddy-buddy relationship with Putin disturbing (not to mention rumors of large financial connections)?
Trump really needs to release financial details. The American people and media need to demand it.

The media does not seem to be doing its job with Trump. The media seems brow beaten by accusations of "liberal bias" to the point that they can't do their job.
Trump has 5 children with 3 different mothers. How on earth is he the candidate for the "family values" Republican party?

DaveP said:
I heard today that Trump was 3 points clear of Clinton.
This is an expected convention bump....  the only poll that matters is in Nov.
I don't think this is because he has done anything spectacular, if anything he has moderated a little, but it appears that Clinton's campaign is unravelling.
While I refuse to watch the packaged speeches he seems to have calmed down a little. He still needs to learn to stay on message. He keeps diffusing his own message with spurious veers.
The news that the democratic party chief has resigned over the Sanders bias emails has infuriated Sanders supporters and given credence to Trump's claim that the system is rigged.  I can't see those people switching to Clinton now, they may not vote or even vote for Trump in protest.
That the fix was in for Hillary is one of the worst kept secrets in politics. Wassermann Shultz has been in the bag for Hillary since day one. The emails only reveal what was obvious from watching the primary play out.

It is ironic to hear Bernie complain about weak support from the democratic party organization since he has only been a democrat since 2015, after serving many years as an independent in congress.
Who would have thought these incidents would have happened at the start of the year?

DaveP
I'm shocked politicians acting like _________. (insert your own pejorative here) 

If anything I am surprised that voters are not more angry at the all the shenanigans and political funny business. The real mud slinging hasn't even begun in ernest.

Hillary should enjoy a strong convention bump from very well liked high profile speakers, like President Obama, her husband Bill Clinton, Joe Biden, etc.  As typical they will leave no special interest minority uncelebrated. 

Despite the current bad news, Shultz has been thrown under the bus and will soon be forgotten, like other bad political behavior.

@ DMP  if Trump masterminded the email release, he is smarter than I give credit. The Russians probably have more damaging emails up their sleeves (I would expect them to try to work an angle with the Clinton foundation to monetize them, or maybe save them for future leverage if she wins, a real possibility).

I don't appreciate Trump's posture toward Putin, or wild claims about faint support for NATO, but I ASSume he is just negotiating from strength not weakness as is our recent history.  We tend to forget about the Ukraine conflict, even though a news journalist was just killed there (bomb).

JR

@ DMP  if Trump masterminded the email release, he is smarter than I give credit. The Russians probably have more damaging emails up their sleeves (I would expect them to try to work an angle with the Clinton foundation to monetize them, or maybe save them for future leverage if she wins, a real possibility).

I don't appreciate Trump's posture toward Putin, or wild claims about faint support for NATO, but I ASSume he is just negotiating from strength not weakness as is our recent history.  We tend to forget about the Ukraine conflict, even though a news journalist was just killed there (bomb).

I'd like to know how much money Trump has gotten from Russia over the years. Just google "trump russia money" to see all kinds of details - some evidence, some conspiracy.  Trump needs to come clean about it and the press needs to do it's job. Trump's pro-Russia position is a little unfathomable.

Trump didn't mastermind it - where did you get that idea?  Quid pro quo is the worry.

dmp said:

I'd like to know how much money Trump has gotten from Russia over the years. Just google "trump russia money" to see all kinds of details - some evidence, some conspiracy.  Trump needs to come clean about it and the press needs to do it's job. Trump's pro-Russia position is a little unfathomable.

Trump didn't mastermind it - where did you get that idea?  Quid pro quo is the worry.
While investigating quid pro quo how about the Russian uranium deal that has Clinton foundation all over it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

There will be plenty of mud to be had soon enough, enjoy your convention.

JR

While investigating quid pro quo how about the Russian uranium deal that has Clinton foundation all over it?
Ah, the old partisan back and forth.  I have better use for my time.

Trump's pro-Russia position is a little unfathomable.
I would not call it pro-Russia, rather not anti Russia?

The US the UK and Russia co-operated in WW2 when the differences between them were much wider than they are now.

If the vast majority of Russian people are happy with Putin, then we should be prepared to accept him, which I guess is Trump's stance.

There is no political capital to be made why he has such a high approval rating at home, better to wait with the moral high ground stuff until he is on the way out?

DaveP

tchgtr said:
If you shaved his head, and he acted and spoke as he normally does, but in Italian, it would be the best Mussolini impersonation ever.

You may jest, but I think that is exactly where it is heading. The fact that some of his supporters are suggesting a government is a corporation, thus should be run as one seems to indicate that they support some vigorous early 20th century Italian Fascism.

What I find quite interesting is the use of the term "Liberal". What constitutes a liberal? The policies of the Democrats don't actually place the party on the left. They actually exist right of centre-right on the political spectrum. After 4 decades of neoliberal agenda, any left-wing association is in name only. Any news organisation that is actually political central would be consider left of populist politics in this day and age.

Privatisation for privatisations sake for example is a neo-liberal hard right fundamental idea. It is the fringe, not the centre.

Sammas said:
You may jest, but I think that is exactly where it is heading. The fact that some of his supporters are suggesting a government is a corporation, thus should be run as one seems to indicate that they support some vigorous early 20th century Italian Fascism.

I don't think that's the right view of his voters. You have to remember that political discourse in the US is terribly skewed, as you later point out. So what you think is a borderline Fascist principle isn't at all that to Americans, it's just that everything can be boiled down to Capitalist principles. The problem with that is that then everything is unfortunately judged by Capitalist principles as if it existed within a vacuum. So terms like "effective", "efficient", "waste" etc are always looked at in that context, not a humanitarian one.

Rather than them supporting what they see as Fascism they think it's all just money in / money out, and nothing else.

Sammas said:
What I find quite interesting is the use of the term "Liberal". What constitutes a liberal? The policies of the Democrats don't actually place the party on the left. They actually exist right of centre-right on the political spectrum. After 4 decades of neoliberal agenda, any left-wing association is in name only. Any news organisation that is actually political central would be consider left of populist politics in this day and age.

Privatisation for privatisations sake for example is a neo-liberal hard right fundamental idea. It is the fringe, not the centre.

I pretty much agree. I would possibly not call it "hard right" simply because some politicians are seduced by the concept despite their ideology being further "left" than that. Sweden is a good example of that. But in general I very much agree with what you said.

The biggest issue in the US is that one can't have a normal discussion with most people because they're woefully uneducated on what other systems really entail, and they can't stop thinking inside the box they're currently in. Noam Chomsky often made the point that when people were polled on what things they'd support in principle the answers were very "left wing" as long as the language was neutral enough. But slap a label on it and their support would vanish. I think that's true.

"In sharp contrast to Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Trump has no experience on national security. Even more important, the character traits he has exhibited during the primary season suggest he would be a poor, even dangerous, commander in chief.

These traits include his obvious need for self-aggrandizement, his overreaction to perceived slights, his tendency to make decisions based on intuition, his refusal to change his views based on new information, his routine carelessness with the facts, his unwillingness to listen to others and his lack of respect for the rule of law.
"

The above written by Michael J. Morell, acting director and deputy director of the Central Intelligence Agency from 2010 to 2013.  I feel I agree with it.

Why not go to the top for your call to authority..

President Obama just criticised Trump again during a press conference with the leader of Singapore.

I don't think I've ever seen a sitting president inject himself so directly into the campaign for his replacement.  I guess they're just making history again.

Most presidents by the end of their second term are far less popular than President Obama is, so maybe he's doing it because he can.  ;D

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Why not go to the top for your call to authority..

It was actually not a call to authority, even if I completely understand why it's perceived that way. I quoted it because I think it makes an excellent point. We can only judge Trump based on what we see, and I agree that the description in the quote fits Trump. And, because it does, and because we have nothing else to go on, he's simply unfit.

So again, I understand why you think I appealed to authority, but that wasn't my intent.

clinton has experience on national security?  coffee just went out my nose...

About the only thing she can secure is to not get charged when she is clearly guilty....

pucho812 said:
clinton has experience on national security?  coffee just went out my nose...

About the only thing she can secure is to not get charged when she is clearly guilty....

Are you saying she doesn't have experience? You understand there's a difference between her having experience and you agreeing with her decisions, yes?

mattiasNYC said:
Are you saying she doesn't have experience? You understand there's a difference between her having experience and you agreeing with her decisions, yes?

I understand just fine.  Lets see would you say getting shot by sniper fire that never happened is experience? Lets see as sos she traveled the world, about all that experience chalks up to is she could be a flight attendant or work for the airlines in some other capacity.  And yes that is different then all the bad decisions I feel she has made in career.

pucho812 said:
mattiasNYC said:

I understand just fine. 

So you agree that she's worked in government with issues of national security whereas Trump has not?

You agree that taking part in the decision to capture or kill Bin Laden, the mastermind of 9/11, the biggest terrorist attack on US soil in modern history, is experience in issues of national security, yes?

Back