Electrical Shock Log Book

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ !
With all respect, WTF are you doing with your left hand at those place... almost all your shock log concern left hand...
Use your right one, you know, the one that don't have the heart in the path to earth...
Be safe everyone
Best
Zam

Might be more dangerous trying to use an uncoordinated right hand? Full disclosure, I'm a southpaw.

I was clumsy enough with my left hand. A few years ago I was measuring the plate voltage on an EL34 valve and the meter tip just may have glanced the adjacent filament tag on the socket on the way out. Next thing I know it is blue light and a vaporising plate tag. Not exactly sure what happened here.  Ruined the valve. Socket still functioned normally (just a bit less of it). The whole incident definitely affected my heart (rate). I'm very careful with the meter tip now.

thanks for the left hand right hand info, did not know that!

a good jolt once in a while seems to be working better than the electro-shock treatment at the VA hospital,

they kept turning the voltage up every week,  :D

this is not dangerous work. see the guys up on the steel tower repairing 200 KV lines in the rain?
that is dangerous work.

120 AC/500 DC? what a joke compared to those guys,

CJ said:
thanks for the left hand right hand info, did not know that!

Yes... if you are left handed it's little more complicated. But except in uncommon heterotaxy (heart at right side) right hand is safer.
When probing HT (with right hand) you can also put you left hand in your pant pocket, avoiding reflex to touch chassis or whatever around with the hand and make a path from right to left hand, which also have the heart in the travel...

CJ said:
this is not dangerous work. see the guys up on the steel tower repairing 200 KV lines in the rain?
that is dangerous work.

Are you sure of that ?? is suspect the line to not be loaded in such repairing !

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
CJ !
With all respect, WTF are you doing with your left hand at those place... almost all your shock log concern left hand...
Use your right one, you know, the one that don't have the heart in the path to earth...
Be safe everyone
Best
Zam
I always thought the heart was centrally located in our chest, between the two lungs. 
heart-diagram.jpg

Major fault path to avoid is hand to hand since that passes through the core. It seems more important to use just one hand, either one hand.

JR

Good to know.  Another southpaw here.......

I just brushed my first B+ after reading this thread two nights ago when it resurfaced.... I was actually thinking, watch it happen to me....Sure enough, couldn't have been 3 or 4 hours after, ..............only 155v though...... too bad the lottery doesn't work that way for me....

JohnRoberts said:
I always thought the heart was centrally located in our chest, between the two lungs.

Yes your right, it's not that far on the left, still asymmetrical, with about 3/2 on the left, in a place where your left lung don't have "lobe" (english?), right lung have 3 lobes, left have two.

maybe in 100000 or 200000 years, we finally have it at the perfect center, but so far it's not a big problem for human symmetry, which is manly a motion efficiency evolution  :)

Best
Zam

CJ said:
i usually stand in a cat box just in case,  ;D

Laughed so hard I started coughing!

Too many zaps in my life to recall them all but here's a few. 

First 120vac I recall was wiring up a ceramic light socket as a kid, maybe early '80s.  Pull the chain, light goes on!  Cool, now let's move it over here by picking it up from the bottom where the wires are...

1995 or so, replacing a fuse on an early Mesa Boogie 50w head I had one hand on the front panel of the amp and the other on the fuse holder, but the amp was still plugged into the wall (120vac).  Yelled and threw the fuse across the room, had to sit down for a few minutes.

Earlier this year, Fairchild 670, power supply issue so it was on and off multiple times.  Not sure what I hit but I yelped like an injured pup.  Only injury was my pride when the client ran in to see if I was OK.

scott2000 said:
too bad the lottery doesn't work that way for me....
be careful what you wish for...  I won a lottery back in the late 60's when the selective service decided to hold a lottery drawing for birthdays to decide who gets drafted first.... My birthday came in 34 out of 365 days so I won, so to speak.  :-[

JR

CJ said:
just watched that, Ken Burns, episode 8,
Watching that would probably just make me angry...  During the civil war they had draft riots in NYC... draft has never been very popular with those who get drafted.

The good thing about the draft is in theory everybody could be drafted...  but many wealthy kids weaseled out.  When I got drafted my co-workers chipped in and offered me a bus ticket to Montreal or a bottle of Canadian Club... I took the fifth.... but in hindsight i think it was actually a quart of CC... Whatever it was soon gone, where all good whisky goes...

There are probably a lot of good books about vietnam with more accurate history, or just ask some grizzly old veteran sleeping in a box on a corner near you, lots of viet nam era vets are still alive. Not like the civil war where there was nobody alive to complain about inaccuracies.

JR

IAN (ruff) posted this in another thread......... Too funny.........

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_151144782543813&key=27f13a138b9c18bbb26d1b79059da4a7&libId=jackwu6c01000n0n000DApyycv5cy&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fgroupdiy.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D66470.240&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGudD0KblVfM&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fgroupdiy.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D66470.0&title=It%20is%20personal.%20It%20is%20my%20health%20care.%20It%20is%20my%20life.&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGudD0KblVfM

Just finished installing a nice new earth system, new copper stake into the ground, copper strap from the stake up to a solid copper termination block on the wall in the equipment room, each equipment rack tied back to the central point earth block. I did not have a ladder handy, so I stood on an office chair (on wheels), pushed open a ceiling tile, reached up through to pull some audio cables, with my left hand sitting on a bolt on the equipment rack (to steady myself) I grabbed onto a metal ceiling dropper and bam, 240V AC into my right hand, across my chest and heart and out through my left hand to my nice new earthed rack. I was pulled on and stuck there for 5 - 10 seconds until somehow my chair rolled out from under my feet and my body weight pulled me off. I hit the floor like a sack of potatoes.

The experience was horrid, I felt like I was physically shaking inside for the next 12 hours. A doctor checked me and pronounced me, alive. Thank god for poor work health safety practises, standing on a office chair is sometimes the right thing!

Whilst being electrocuted, I was sure I was screaming. My colleague standing only feet away, heard nothing and didn't see anything happening to me, until I fell to the floor. After isolating power, my colleague discovered a live lighting wire have fallen out of a light fitting and was sitting on the metal ceiling grid.

I am still here, just  ;)

Junction said:
Just finished installing a nice new earth system, new copper stake into the ground, copper strap from the stake up to a solid copper termination block on the wall in the equipment room, each equipment rack tied back to the central point earth block. I did not have a ladder handy, so I stood on an office chair (on wheels), pushed open a ceiling tile, reached up through to pull some audio cables, with my left hand sitting on a bolt on the equipment rack (to steady myself) I grabbed onto a metal ceiling dropper and bam, 240V AC into my right hand, across my chest and heart and out through my left hand to my nice new earthed rack. I was pulled on and stuck there for 5 - 10 seconds until somehow my chair rolled out from under my feet and my body weight pulled me off. I hit the floor like a sack of potatoes.

The experience was horrid, I felt like I was physically shaking inside for the next 12 hours. A doctor checked me and pronounced me, alive. Thank god for poor work health safety practises, standing on a office chair is sometimes the right thing!

Whilst being electrocuted, I was sure I was screaming. My colleague standing only feet away, heard nothing and didn't see anything happening to me, until I fell to the floor. After isolating power, my colleague discovered a live lighting wire have fallen out of a light fitting and was sitting on the metal ceiling grid.

I am still here, just  ;)
For the record you were "shocked". If you were electrocuted*** you would not be posting here.  ::) Lucky that you were in an unstable position, so even though your muscles locked up you disconnected from the energized circuit when the chair rolled away.

Glad you are still with us... may reset your system clocks... higher voltage makes even more of a mess. (like cooking from the inside). I saw some videos from the local utility about high voltage shocks, really ugly stuff...

[edit] in hindsight my response sounds a little harsh... I do not mean to diminish your experience. You are lucky to be alive...[/edit]

JR

*** it looks like google is expanding the popular definition of electrocuted to include serious shocks, but criminals are electrocuted... unlucky workers who survive got shocked IMO.  Pretty soon Google will start spelling bus with two s' because so many spell it wrong.  :eek:

Side-data----

Electric chain-saw on wet ground. Sawing a branch, I saw sparks. I am allergic to chain-sparks because they mean I ruined another chain on a rock. But this was different, more electrical arc.

Dang! I'd cut my power cord!

Not all the way through. In fact I finished that branch before foul-mouthedly re-rigging on another cord.

3-wire cord (though 2-wire saw). I'd cut just the black and white wires. The arc was along the chain teeth from one wire to the other. Lost about half of each wire so I had to shorten and splice.

No shock. The saw is all plastic where it counts. The cord was on GFI (I'm a believer). But the arc was "normal mode"-- the GFI thought it was a proper load, and the intermittent teeth did not pull enough sustained current to trip the 20A breaker.

i'm gonna use a chair for now on for HV work,  ::)

and a hand saw might keep me in shape.  :D

Star Date 11-25-17    -    11 am:

got a real good one this morning, best cap shock ever, usually cap shocks  rate below  pwr line shocks but not this time,

stopped breathing for a few seconds and the heart lost it's sync pulse for a few beats but returned to normal.

might have to go to the heart doctor, what do they call them? oh yeah, the proctologist.

offending cap now sports a shorting stick,
good thing it wasn't a Nichicon,

Attachments

• shock!.jpg
    shock!.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 35
Jaysus Cj,
150 uF thats impressive ,a 40 year old blue 'Daly 2x 50' from a Marshall was as much as I've withstood so far,I needed a couple of joints to settle my nerves after .

Do heart surgeons really enter via the back door these days ,I mean Ive heard of keyhole surgery,but that doesnt sound right at all .

A buddy of mine told me a story before ,usual training exercise ,he ended up mano a mano with an officer ,maybe got slightly heavy handed with him ,payback time involved a set of croc clips and a hand cranked field telephone ,long and short of it (scuse the pun)was 90 or so volts applied correctly was enough to get anyone to tell the  truth, lies  or admit to any other fabricaton you wished to add in at that stage ,like being repeatedly kicked in the bollocks by a donkey were his own words .

High voltage rock n roll,
https://youtu.be/0ouoek-w3LM?t=2697

Back