Electrical Shock Log Book

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They pack quite a punch the the big blue 50+50uf's. :D
Coffee and a spliff after such events is manditory in my book ,
Must be some benefit for cap life by keeping them charged ,or else why would the designers omit them ?

12-28-17  same amp, both elbows now have tendonitus, , vision blurry, palpatations, 

JCM900 has no bleeders, but my eyes are bleeding,

damn you jim marshall!

after 5 more shocks, we have installed he bleeder.  doh!

left thumb, (first thumb shock)  right hand, the 5th shock cured all he previous tendonitus,

unfortunately, vision is semi blurred,

1/2 w disp  long  t constant but hey...jus sayin, wtf, over/

Attachments

• bleeder.jpg
    bleeder.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 10
560k ohm ,180 or 220k's would be my choice
but a conductive snot across the ht is a better bleeder than none anyday ,
remember hill street blues anyone ,lets be carefull out there' Sgt Phil '

yeah about 35 seconds to get to half voltage, but 250 is a lot better than 500,

felt like Pavlov's dog.

zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.    zap!  i should add a bleeder.

finally, we put in a bleeder.     

CJ said:
zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.  zap!  i should add a bleeder.    zap!  i should add a bleeder.

finally, we put in a bleeder.   
It don't take you but seven times to learn. ;D

Glad you are still breathing.

The worst part of that for me (since I actually do the geeky  "one hand in the back pocket" thing) is the tiny little black spot on your skin. But it is not a spot, it is a tunnel of burnt, cauterized flesh, deep enough to reach larger blood vessels that are big enough to carry the current, after blowing less deep capillaries like fuses. And it stinks bad. You start to feel these a day later after the pain receptors reset, and they sting like hell for a week or so.

Gene

well, we installed the bleeder so this amp is safe, right?

Wrong! 

putting on a tie wrap, no reason to turn the amp off when installing a simple tie wrap around some zero voltage input wires, right?

Wrong!

Zap!  500 vols the hard away, across both arms,

some amps have it out for ya, this is a prime example. 8 shocks and counting....

will be glad when this one leaves the shop,  hope the next amp is solid state!  :mad:

CJ said:

Wrong! 

putting on a tie wrap, no reason to turn the amp off when installing a simple tie wrap around some zero voltage input wires, right?

Wrong!

some amps have it out for ya, this is a prime example. 8 shocks and counting....

will be glad when this one leaves the shop,  hope the next amp is solid state!  :mad:
Do you realize it is illogical to blame an inanimate object for shocking you... ?

Be careful.

JR

CJ said:

Wrong! 

Wrong!

If you get shocked by the same amp 8 times, that doesnt sound like the amps fault....

Be careful, life is too short to be kooked out by a moderatly priced marshall.  ;D

2001, just before 911. At a small lake in Massachusetts, using a public phone booth - yes strange there was a small phone booth near the lake. Come to think of it, phone booths themselves are now, strange.

Sky got darker, leaves started turning upwards from up-wind from ground. I had a bad feeling. Was talking on the phone. Lightning hit nearby and I was shocked through the phone.

Not a bad shock at all, but enough to make me hang up and never use outdoor public phones by a lake when a storm's about to hit.

Phrazemaster said:
2001, just before 911. At a small lake in Massachusetts, using a public phone booth - yes strange there was a small phone booth near the lake. Come to think of it, phone booths themselves are now, strange.

Sky got darker, leaves started turning upwards from up-wind from ground. I had a bad feeling. Was talking on the phone. Lightning hit nearby and I was shocked through the phone.

Not a bad shock at all, but enough to make me hang up and never use outdoor public phones by a lake when a storm's about to hit.
I felt a lightning shock through my feet while standing outside in a rainstorm after several beers challenging Thor...  Oops...  :eek: haven't done that again.  I now respect lightning.  8)  Getting hit by lightning is lower probability than tornadoes (?) but the only reason lightning doesn't strike the same spot twice is because the spot is usually vaporized after the first hit.  Tornadoes will return to the scene over and over.

Lightning is high enough voltage that it can be pretty unpredictable and there are two strokes, an upstroke with relatively modest current that ionizes the path, and then a heavy current downstroke that does the actual damage (ionized paths are conductive)...  If the ionized upstrike path gets disturbed the downstroke seems to possess momentum and finds a new path. Logical if the path is broken it finds a new path based on high relative voltage potentials.

In general avoid lightning...  I encountered my share when jogging in sudden rain storms and tried to hang out near road side power poles and other grounded protection. Properly done the grounded power poles will diffuse the static potential, and prevent the upstrike to not draw a direct down strike. 

JR

To veer a little off topic:  I experienced a phenomenon running through a thunderstorm that I've never found confirmation of.  There was a great deal of lightning very nearby, and when it would strike, a small spark would appear in my field of vision.  It wasn't a typical lightning flash or anything I'd normally observed with thunderstorms (and I've watched quite a few.)  Just a small spark and then it was gone.  This happened probably 3 or 4 times on the run home. 

Anybody?

hodad said:
To veer a little off topic:  I experienced a phenomenon running through a thunderstorm that I've never found confirmation of.  There was a great deal of lightning very nearby, and when it would strike, a small spark would appear in my field of vision.  It wasn't a typical lightning flash or anything I'd normally observed with thunderstorms (and I've watched quite a few.)  Just a small spark and then it was gone.  This happened probably 3 or 4 times on the run home. 

Anybody?
How close were the actual bolts? Closest I encountered while running was maybe a half mile away.

Even at a half mile there was a perceptible delay between the flash and the thunder clap.

What was the nature of the sparks you saw ? Vertical? Horizontal?

JR

Probably closer than a half mile.  & if I remember correctly, horizontal sparks.  Not big sparks, just small ones near the center of my field of vision.

I once went on a college trip to Russia , the group stayed on the top floor of a 25 storey hotel in Moskow for a few nights .
Anytime we tried to press the lift call button a spark would jump across the gap the instant before touching the switch, on a few ocassions a casual brush off a person closeby and click, more sparks .Very weird ,not something Ive experienced before or since ,I wonder were the lifts acting as a van der graph generators ,sparks were a few mm in lenght ,so  we must have been charged upto killovolts ,Id be interested if anyone has any possible explanations .

Latest posts

Back