Electrical Shock Log Book

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now that makes sense, i will try that!

you would think that PTSD from all of this would force me into growing corn or something, bu no, i keep going back to the chamber of horrors,  :D

You could try wearing latex gloves that should prevent most shocks, but they're probably uncomfortable for long periods.

Maybe only wear them while working around higher voltage hot chassis.

JR

4pm 260v DC

Moving wires around in a reddi I left a ground wire unconnected sitting on the HV right after the rectifier, which put the case at about 260v.  I had been having some problems with the front panel not making a good connection to ground, so I grabbed it to see if I had the problem fixed, and yes it is a very good connection now!

Since I grabbed it on both sides my muscles contracted and made me squeeze tighter... my arm is still slightly numb up to just past my elbow....

On the + side, the DI sounds killin, thanks CJ!

I got a small reminder  last week off the Rivera ,
I didnt allow  sufficient time for the 220kohmx2 bleeder resistors to do their job before getting stuck in barehanded ,  I was making  contact with the ht area ,all fine until my other hand brushed the chassis , wasnt painfull or didnt have any lasting effects ,felt  a bit like touching an electric fence, my arms and chest  muscles were in paralysis for a few moments .
A workshop defibrillator  might be a plan , you may have vital seconds  after your heart stops before you loose conciousness , maybe keep some charged caps on standby as an emergency  jump  start    STAND CLEAR BZZZZZZZT !    ;D

We all know Ben Franklin flew a kite.

But before that he was shocking turkeys. And took a memorable shock himself.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/11/that-time-benjamin-franklin-tried-and-failed-to-electrocute-a-turkey/

PRR said:
We all know Ben Franklin flew a kite.

But before that he was shocking turkeys. And took a memorable shock himself.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/11/that-time-benjamin-franklin-tried-and-failed-to-electrocute-a-turkey/
Ben Franklin was another remarkable guy..more than a one trick pony.

Glad he didn't kill himself flying a kite in a thunderstorm.

JR

Superbly written  article ,
Thanks Paul .

I had no idea Franklin was involved in early electrical work ,  that he was one of the early Presidents of US was about all I knew of him . Just looking down the wiki ,jaysus, men of that calibre are rare indeed .Politics doesnt seem to attract many philantropists , accomplished liars and conmen seem more adept at stealing the spotlight,  in the modern age of media  thats only more magnified .

Franklin ...one of the early Presidents of US was about all I knew of him

Just cuz his face is on the notes you use to buy dope doesn't mean he was a President.

Franklin was never US president. He represented Pennsylvania in England before the revolt, got in trouble with both sides, shows up here and there, then worked with the Declaration committee, later the Constitution convention. Also post-revolt served as US ambassador to France. Probably negotiated quiet funding from time to time. Mostly drank and whored around. Did serve as president of Pennsylvania (an office changed in PA's 1790 constitution).

:-[
it says it right there on the Wiki page

Pre civil war days of course ,

theres a lot of the subtleties of how the west was won thats lost on me , when I think about it I can imagine the rule of law emerging outwards into the unknown from several different population centers , along similar lines but with differing allegiances to the old world along with differences in the system of governor ship  etc,  somehow in the end all systems had to converge to some extent , big bang 

minor shock today, but nevertheless, micro amps did flow.

bad mini grabber , lead exposed, fender twin master w UL taps if that makes any diff, 495 on the plates, they come in all over the place,

Attachments

• shock#3981.jpg
    shock#3981.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 22
Tubetec said:
:-[
it says it right there on the Wiki page

Pre civil war days of course ,

theres a lot of the subtleties of how the west was won thats lost on me , when I think about it I can imagine the rule of law emerging outwards into the unknown from several different population centers , along similar lines but with differing allegiances to the old world along with differences in the system of governor ship  etc,  somehow in the end all systems had to converge to some extent , big bang
There is an classic autobiography (memoirs) of BF from back before there were autobiographies. Yes he is more circa revolutionary war than civil war. A truly remarkable and accomplished man across multiple disciplines, but we were blessed with several like him among our founders back then (but few as multi-talented as him). 

There is a lot of history between revolutionary war and civil war, plus a bunch after that... to much to simplify down to a few paragraphs, but the basic form of government was pretty well mapped out in the very beginning and like steel tempered by stress over time, and refined with amendments .

JR

Dammit!  Stupid one today, in front of the client of course  :mad:  Recapped an Ampeg V-4B (I hate working on these beasts) and was showing the client the shiny new caps.  Touched one and WHOAH that's 275VDC!  Forgot that they split the ~550V B+ across two sets of 450V caps.  The amp was on standby but caps were fully charged.  Fortunately it was one hand, rubber soles on carpeted floor and I didn't flinch too badly.

All is well, but I got my yearly reminder.  Happy holidays!

The upper cap needs to be fully INSULATED. Stock used a cardboard sleeve. Don't touch that amp, or let the client touch it, until that is fixed. (Or at least until the check clears.)

I noticed a  long time back that in  50 watt Marshalls where you have a single 500 volt cap across the HT the alu shell of the cap didnt get fully insulated as it should be  more or less at ground potential , where in the 100W amp  you have a pair of caps in series an extra insulator is used to make contact with capacitor shell impossible . never ever assume the exposed electrolytic case is grounded ,it could well be at 50% ht volts .

PRR said:
The upper cap needs to be fully INSULATED. Stock used a cardboard sleeve. Don't touch that amp, or let the client touch it, until that is fixed. (Or at least until the check clears.)

Yes, planning on it.  I like the client (and myself).  ;D

Was installing a 100 amp sub-feed panel in a friend's garage this weekend and when I was tying in the 100 amp breaker into the main house panel, my left hand knuckle bridged the neutral bar and the very bottom unused breaker lug.

This Siemans panel has neutral bars on the left and right sides on the panel, and they're connected along the bottom with a bridge. This bridge is actually surprisingly close to the bottom hot lug. That's where I did it. It was complete carelessness as it always is. I put on some rubberized gloves after that.

I haven't gotten a 120 volt AC jolt in a while. It's didn't sting as bad as I remembered.

Ricardus said:
Was installing a 100 amp sub-feed panel in a friend's garage this weekend and when I was tying in the 100 amp breaker into the main house panel, my left hand knuckle bridged the neutral bar and the very bottom unused breaker lug.

This Siemans panel has neutral bars on the left and right sides on the panel, and they're connected along the bottom with a bridge. This bridge is actually surprisingly close to the bottom hot lug. That's where I did it. It was complete carelessness as it always is. I put on some rubberized gloves after that.

I haven't gotten a 120 volt AC jolt in a while. It's didn't sting as bad as I remembered.
Thanks for sharing... I don't think hot wiring in panels is best practice.

Be careful

JR

Ricardus said:
It's at this point that I usually joke:

"What's the worst that could happen??!?"
I have done my share of hot wiring and do not recommend it (do what I say not what I do)... at least hot wiring outlets and light switches are on modest fused branches...

Wiring in a sub service is probably fused too, but with a much bigger fuse.

Everybody be careful..

JR

Back