Electrical Shock Log Book

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a good one yesterday, taking off a scope lead from the push-pull  plate of a Princeton,  say that real fast ten times,  :D

425 volts DC,  superimposed on 275 volts AC at 1 K Hz,. left arm from the hand to the shoulder felt like murder,

the good new?  it cured the tendonitus i have had in that elbow from too many string bends on the guitar.

thinking of opening up a medical clinic that uses this prescription for curing other patients, they would have to sign a waver, as no insurance company is gonna touch this,

think i would learn but got got shocked the next day and the tendonitus is back,  ???

I don't expect you to change the habits of a lifetime, but standing on a rubber mat won't cramp your style, neither would thin rubber surgeons gloves.  MIght keep you alive a bit longer though! :eek:

DaveP

'Gimmie gimmie shock treatment' 'I wanna wanna shock treatment ' as the song goes .

Wow I didnt mange a full on Ac/Dc  combo tube driven shock yet ,
One of guys in the motor winders was kind enough to demonstrate the leakage current from live through his body to ground wasnt enough to cause a shock  recently , of course he was well up from ground on raised timber floor , its a bit like a bird on an overhead 12kv wire . Its situations just like this where one handed probing means current cant flow across the heart , but your an old soldier CJ , you know this . Tesla demonstrated electrical current in moderately small amounts could flow through the human body as long as the path wasnt across the heart .

Attachments

• tesla.jpeg
    tesla.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 5
CJ said:
got a good one yesterday, taking off a scope lead from the push-pull  plate of a Princeton,  say that real fast ten times,  :D

425 volts DC,  superimposed on 275 volts AC at 1 K Hz,. left arm from the hand to the shoulder felt like murder,

the good new?  it cured the tendonitus i have had in that elbow from too many string bends on the guitar.

thinking of opening up a medical clinic that uses this prescription for curing other patients, they would have to sign a waver, as no insurance company is gonna touch this,

think i would learn but got got shocked the next day and the tendonitus is back,  ???
Maybe it was just that your feeling returned a day later.

JR

Tubetec said:
'Gimmie gimmie shock treatment' 'I wanna wanna shock treatment ' as the song goes .
(snip)
Tesla demonstrated electrical current in moderately small amounts could flow through the human body as long as the path wasnt across the heart .

So funny, I am wearing my Ramones t-shirt today, been a fan since the '80s.  Also just finished reading Tesla - A Man Out of Time by Margaret Cheney.  He would have kilovolts flowing on or around his body but not through it.

3 more entries for the shock log since the last shock,

1) rt hand finger shock, just the ring and pinky, burning flesh smell on that one (see pic)
2) 460 volts DC from hand to hand, right across the chest cavity, now we beat on the 2 instead of the 1,  :D
3) and then total right hand paralyssis (sp) for 5 seconds on a jolt from non dicharggeded caps,

looking forward to my next "treatment"  :p

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 16
CJ said:
3 more entries for the shock log since the last shock,

1) rt hand finger shock, just the ring and pinky, burning flesh smell on that one (see pic)
2) 460 volts DC from hand to hand, right across the chest cavity, now we beat on the 2 instead of the 1,  :D
3) and then total right hand paralyssis (sp) for 5 seconds on a jolt from non dicharggeded caps,

looking forward to my next "treatment"  :p

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
stay safe !! :-\

CJ stars in Death Wish 3 ;)

DaveP

well it has been a while since my last electrocution, i would like to think it's because i am being more careful, training myself like pavlov's dog,

but no, always finding new ways to inflict pain and suffering, this time it was a voltmeter probe which i hastily repaired til we get new ones,

had my hand on the chassis while taking a B+ off a fender, zap!  the un-insulated wire hanging out the end (near blue tape) was protruding just enough to burn a pinhole in my palm,

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 27
Several years ago, in the early EZTubeMixer days, I had not designed the motherboard yet, so the backplane was hand wired using tinned copper wire. One day I put my hand round the back to unplug a connector and the joint where my thumb meets my wrist shorted itself across the HT. Normally my hand would have instantly leapt off the connection but in this instance the shock activated a muscle at the base of my thumb which caused the base of my thumb to impale itself on the backplane HT connector. It can have been barely a second before my elbow muscles managed to remove my thumb from the HT connector but by then the connector had impaled my lower thumb 50 times and it was pouring blood.

The thumb ached for days and even now if it is strained the nerve twinges just like it did when it was shocked.

Cheers

Ian

Few days ago had to do some 'hotwork' wiring a new gang/receptacle into larger grey box, pulling 110 from an old split box in an apartment complex. Wires coming from the split had dry and cracked cladding with exposed copper peeking thru. I gently taped them up, but sure enough while adding steel flex conduit,  half of 110 caught the side of the conduit, went through the pliers and into my hand, out water pipe my other hand was resting on.  After some cursing and complaining I was not a 'high voltage guy', finished the job. 
QHZojtg.jpg

P.S. here's a picture of an old elevator room control box from the same day. Loud!

dPnuTHY.jpg

Classic old rule is to keep one hand in your pocket... clearly do not rest it on the cold water pipe.  :eek:

I will not pretend that I do not do the occasional hot wiring,  :eek: but I try to be alert to all threats in my environment. The solid ground cold water pipe is one such threat, when dealing with mains voltage.

Glad you are OK and as usual after life gave you the test, you received the lesson. Maybe some others can learn your lesson from this share.

JR

Glad you are OK
Thank you sir.

It's like CJ said, pavlov-wisdoms come one of two ways...  Forbearance/caution or...  :eek: Zeeert my god that hertz!  ;D

Edit: As a rule, won't get near hot 220 / 3 phase. Can't pay me enough to roll them dice.

boji said:
Thank you sir.

It's like CJ said, pavlov-wisdoms come one of two ways...  Forbearance/caution or...  :eek: Zeeert my god that hertz!  ;D

Edit: As a rule, won't get near hot 220 / 3 phase. Can't pay me enough to roll them dice.
120VAC still kills plenty of people, respect it too...

JR

shock date 10-10-19

this was a good one, my feet actually left the ground,  probably 4 inches, and the inside of my left elbow felt like it had been dipped in molten lava, and i stopped breathing for about 3 seconds, felt like 457 VDC, this one was right across the heart, but now my heart feels like an alligator, 

dang Marshall, they put the HV rects right next to the master volume, so when i was checking signal strength on that pot (red arrow)  i had one hand on the chassis and the other hand holding the scope probes and you can guess the rest, yes i know, one hand in the pocket, but then everybody thinks i am playing pocket billiards so i can't do that,  :D

Attachments

• shock 897.jpg
    shock 897.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 21
Back