Endless Analog - CLASP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, i get it.

but not really.

this for people who just can't put down the mouse

if you have a tape machine, why not just use that?
oh... i get it now... a million freakin' playlists

that makes sense.  not to me, but i get it.

a million freakin' playlists.

a studio owner/friend of mine has a pretty cool studio-
Studer 827, PT HD3, SSL 9000, & lots of top drawer outboard out the kazoo and all that.
He recently bought an old Ampex 1" 8 track.
Huh?
best move in a long time.
he got it as a production LIMITATION tool.
when the 8 tracks are full it's time to mix.

he is doing his best work in a long, long time.

for the "bigger" productions, we might go to the 2" and use up to 16 tracks,
not that we use 'em all...

wtmnmf said:
I was interested in buying one until...   they wouldn't show me the manual!  :mad:

I asked a dealer to address this and they said that they would talk to the manufacturer.  Never heard a word back.

The website is 99.8% hype.  Famous guys x,y,and z use it, so no need for you to see the manual, just buy it.

Well...  I'm not buying it.

I'll probably pick one up after they've gone out of business for $50 on eBay.

@ wtmnmf

I apologize that you could not view the manual. The manual is constantly being updated as new updates and features are being added. So, we decided we did not want several versions of the manual floating around. We are very close with ALL of our users and they have been very helpful with feature suggestions which have really made the CLASP into a great system. As for your comment about the website being hype, thats your opinion and I respect that but the people that actually own the system love it and thats NOT hype.

HAR !
that's one way to up the membership count!

Endless A -  hey, damn clever product!  and impressive.

personally, i don't want a computer between me and my tape machine,
if i'm workin' on tape, i'm using a tape machine like always.
if i'm in protools, and want some tape action for something, i've got a sync i/o
that is very easy to set up and use.  for me i don't see a need for it.
i've been using consoles and tape machines since '74 and my comfort level
with them is quite high. 
i can certainly see where someone who was born into the DAW world would find this
attractive.  and that's fine.

i just don't know how to explain this to the experts that have been saying digital is
so much better that tape.

of course tape is dead. other wise it would puke during fast forward and rewind. 

villanus said:
CLASP is a non-linear system. You don't need all the usual steps of recording, rewinding, dumping, rewinding, and recording, again. Your sync the CLASP to your tape machine at its different speeds once. Then you record and record until you reach the end of the tape. Then you rewind and keep on recording wherever you want inside your DAW session. The audio doesn't stay on the tape longer than it needs to travel from the sync head to the repro head.

CLASP has a MIDI connection with the purpose of reporting sync values to your DAW and allowing the DAW to control the audio switching of the CLASP hardware.
It honestly sounds to me as if the tape machine is being used as a very complicated and expensive fuzz-box.
I understand why this would appeal to a lot of youngsters, but as an old geezer who's moved away from tape completely, it makes me smile ;-)

ENDLESS ANALOG said:
wtmnmf said:
I was interested in buying one until...   they wouldn't show me the manual!  :mad:

I asked a dealer to address this and they said that they would talk to the manufacturer.  Never heard a word back.

The website is 99.8% hype.  Famous guys x,y,and z use it, so no need for you to see the manual, just buy it.

Well...  I'm not buying it.

I'll probably pick one up after they've gone out of business for $50 on eBay.

@ wtmnmf

I apologize that you could not view the manual. The manual is constantly being updated as new updates and features are being added. So, we decided we did not want several versions of the manual floating around. We are very close with ALL of our users and they have been very helpful with feature suggestions which have really made the CLASP into a great system. As for your comment about the website being hype, thats your opinion and I respect that but the people that actually own the system love it and thats NOT hype.

Thanks for the response.  I think that you might just put 'preliminary version' or something on the manual and make it available, so that the product can be evaluated by a potential customer. It's your choice not to do so, but I'll suggest that it costs you sales.

Why do you provide a link to the "manual" and have me open a PDF called CLASP Operation Manual which simply tells me that the manual is only available to CLASP owners?  I find that to be a waste of time and honestly offensive. Why bother with the link?

I don't doubt that people who own the system love it.  What bothers me is the ratio of useful information to hype.  Testimonials may attract a certain audience, but I'll wager that a high-end product with a limited market is better sold via solid information about the device's operation and technical merits.  The sort of person who is in the market for CLASP is likely to have been around awhile and has the sophistication necessary to decide for themselves.

You have a page that is called "Video Tutorials", and I thought to myself, OK, there will be some information here...

1st video: devoid of information. Lots of sales stuff about color and cutting edge technology.
2nd video: devoid of information. Opens with a list of band names, cutting to tape is rad and adds voodoo fullness.
3rd video: devoid of information.  Some name dropping, more color,etc., more name dropping.
4th video: devoid of information. A positive testimonial re:customer service. That's good to know.
5th video: devoid of information. Opens by letting us know that big records have been made on analog tape machines! ( If that's news to you, good luck in your chosen profession  ;) ) This is followed by one clip after another of artists and songs. I hope the artists are getting royalty payments...
6th video: devoid of information. "you're the man" "no, you're the man"  ::)  "analog vibe" "fixes print-through" "every studio should buy one"
7th video: devoid of information. Nearly unintelligible audio on the mumbling speaker. That's OK, he wasn't presenting any INFORMATION.
8th video: devoid of information. Reels spinning, VU's bouncing. 3 min. of guys watching a drummer play.
9th video: devoid of information. Guys playing in a studio. Product shots.
10th video: devoid of information. A claim that CLASP will work with whatever tape machine you have and like. Ok, to be fair, I guess that is kind of like information except that the list of supported machines on the site shows only 12 machines.  Don't see a Stephens or Scully on there, but if the video says so...
11th video: devoid of information. Showing the CLASP working with a "Beatles machine" which is not on the list of supported machines.
12th video: devoid of information. A session. The CLASP. Thumbs up.

These are all product endorsements and not tutorials. The word tutorial has a real meaning in the English language, and that meaning is not remotely represented in any of these video presentations.

I honestly think that this probably a great and very useful device, but I won't have a chance to see if it's right for me, because of the lack of real information about it. The endorsements are catering to the star struck, the inexperienced, and the audiophile crowd.  I'm none of those.

Hey, how'd I end up on G**rs*tz?  ;D

(Mod's: If you find this response belong on that other site, feel free to delete. I won't be bothered a bit.)

+1 for the lack of informations on the website, and videos with people hyping the gear, personally i hate that, i mean your product is pretty well tought so why need all this? A more professional talk and explanation on basic use of it on video for ex, and no hype, would have made it fancier IMHO, but well that's only show, problem is that you don't really show ;) my 0.00002 cent

Sounding the same bell as Eric H, I may buy a CLASP the day they manage to get rid of tape noise and distortion  :p
May be replace the tape machine with a good digital delay?  ???
Or a straigt wire?  ::)

Wow... quite the can of worms I opened.  Certainly not my intention.  "Studio A" is relatively a new child board here at Prodigy Pro.  >Discuss professional audio recording/mixing techniques, methods, and applications.   This seemed like an appropriate topic.  Seriously, this is the coolest studio gadget I've seen in years.  Most of the cats I know are tracking analog then dumping into ProTools for mixing, portability, and archiving.  Hard as hell to FTP 2" tape.  The other kitties are trying to simulate tape saturation with tube preamps.

I'm not surprised there is some skepticism but I am surprised at the rudeness....... oh wait, this is the internets, never mind.  This is a technical/electronics forum first, so it's understandable that this audience wants more detailed information.  A certain % here is thinking, "fux, I wish I thought of that."  So I looked under the hood and I'll be damned ifin there wasn't a Hammond synchronous motor and a whole string of 12SJ7's.  There's also a Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator covered in epoxy.  :p

wtmnmf said:
You have a page that is called "Video Tutorials", and I thought to myself, OK, there will be some information here...

1st video: devoid of information. Lots of sales stuff about color and cutting edge technology.
2nd video: devoid of information. Opens with a list of band names, cutting to tape is rad and adds voodoo fullness.
3rd video: devoid of information.  Some name dropping, more color,etc., more name dropping.
4th video: devoid of information. A positive testimonial re:customer service. That's good to know.
5th video: devoid of information. Opens by letting us know that big records have been made on analog tape machines! ( If that's news to you, good luck in your chosen profession  ;) ) This is followed by one clip after another of artists and songs. I hope the artists are getting royalty payments...
6th video: devoid of information. "you're the man" "no, you're the man"  ::)  "analog vibe" "fixes print-through" "every studio should buy one"
7th video: devoid of information. Nearly unintelligible audio on the mumbling speaker. That's OK, he wasn't presenting any INFORMATION.
8th video: devoid of information. Reels spinning, VU's bouncing. 3 min. of guys watching a drummer play.
9th video: devoid of information. Guys playing in a studio. Product shots.
10th video: devoid of information. A claim that CLASP will work with whatever tape machine you have and like. Ok, to be fair, I guess that is kind of like information except that the list of supported machines on the site shows only 12 machines.  Don't see a Stephens or Scully on there, but if the video says so...
11th video: devoid of information. Showing the CLASP working with a "Beatles machine" which is not on the list of supported machines.
12th video: devoid of information. A session. The CLASP. Thumbs up.

Orsonclapping.gif

Butterylicious said:
Wow... quite the can of worms I opened.  Certainly not my intention.  "Studio A" is relatively a new child board here at Prodigy Pro.  >Discuss professional audio recording/mixing techniques, methods, and applications.   This seemed like an appropriate topic.  Seriously, this is the coolest studio gadget I've seen in years.  Most of the cats I know are tracking analog then dumping into ProTools for mixing, portability, and archiving.  Hard as hell to FTP 2" tape.  The other kitties are trying to simulate tape saturation with tube preamps.

I'm not surprised there is some skepticism but I am surprised at the rudeness....... oh wait, this is the internets, never mind.  This is a technical/electronics forum first, so it's understandable that this audience wants more detailed information.  A certain % here is thinking, "fux, I wish I thought of that."  So I looked under the hood and I'll be damned ifin there wasn't a Hammond synchronous motor and a whole string of 12SJ7's.   There's also a Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator covered in epoxy.   :p

Buttery I don't feel anyone has been really rude yet however it can come off that way. Most around here are skeptics when it comes to new and shiny especially me. If they are asking that kind of cash for a product better be able to deliver how and why it works, why it is needed and not more of "insert famous name" uses it. Reality is their website is vauge. Why? it's a brand new product that is the first of it's kind. If anything they should be more detailed so engineers like myself who can command budget that afford it can go wow that is cool. it does all the different machines and wow I need that. Jerks like myself want to know how it works so I can decide if I need that in my studio chain based on what it is said it can do. It's not a new take on an old item like a new mic pre.  I'm not saying it's not cool and I am not saying there a lot of people who want it and will like it. In fact we had one of our engineers at work yesterday saying we have to have it. Mainly out of his own desire and less for the company as a hole.  In this modern age with less and less people having knowledge of how to maintain a tape machine do we need that in our signal path?    FTP a 2" why sure... FTP = fedex transportation process.  ;D

Thanks for all the constructive criticism regarding our website. These are all valid points and well taken. We have been working on a tutorial video and hope to have it up soon. As I explained earlier, we have been constantly adding new features and improvements to the system and are including them in the new manual and video. We are working with Vintage King on creating a DVD to show people how to set up the system.

There will be a new video from Gear Wire very soon that we just shot up in Chicago at CRC (Chicago Recording Company) this past week. This video goes into more detail about how the system works.

I will also be making some changes to the website, creating a separate link for video testimonials. And organizing a few things better.

Also, in regard about the comment concerning the 'Beatles Machine' video and that it is not on the list of supported tape machines. If you look more closely at the bottom of the page you will see it 'Studer J-37'

In regard to the comment about Scully machines, At the top of the supported tape machines page there is bold text that says "IF YOU DO NOT SEE YOUR TAPE MACHINE LISTED HERE AND WOULD LIKE IT ADDED PLEASE CONTACT US"

Thanks again for all you support and constructive input. We appreciate the help!

Hi,

I am an old school engineer. I spent nearly 20 years with daily test-tape grind . . . . Anyone who wants the sound of tape(many sounds on one project! Change tape and tape speed, even machine brandbrand!) would be stupid not to look very seriously at this. The way we work today ,I have to be able to recall ANY one of hundreds of songs on our system at the drop of a hat. I could NEVER run just off tape. This would give me back something i seriously miss, ie the predictable use/abuse of tape with all its benefits, sound, subtle compression etc etc etc. No breaks to dump into PT, and a much easier workflow than trying to do it on the fly. You wouldn't need a tape-op. second tape-machine contantly dumping to PT,  room full of tape for each project, Massive bank account just to afford the tape to record a project. etc.

Most artists today just simply are not accustomed to the old-fashioned workflow of tape sessions, and this appears to allow them to work in the "modern" way with the sonic benefits of tape.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

ps I would especially welcome NOT hearing all that lovely HF info gently disappearing off the tape as it passes over the heads for the millionth time . . .

pps there is always the proviso that it does work as seamlessly as they say! Lets wait and see. I am very interested, but don't have any tape anymore.

Seems to me that this system allows you to do two primary things easily:

1, Use tape in the record signal path.
2, Use your DAW & console with true tape machine style monitoring. ie; "Auto-Input".

One could pretty much accomplish these things without the CLASP box by patching as needed and setting some up some delay compensation parameters. The CLASP system appears to integrate these manual steps into a package that works together as desired.

I could be wrong, but that is my impression after looking through the website, etc.

Is it worth the price tag? Well 827's used to go for 50k or so didn't they?

Best,
j

To me, this just sounds like a marketing issue. There are many ways to market a product, for example using quantitative data such as facts and technical data or seeking a emotional response in the consumer (think about most adverts on TV, there really isn't much info on the product). The obvious cliche being using half naked women... bla bla bla

At the moment, Endless Analogue seem to be using the latter form of marketing... name dropping, etc... creating hype

Now, there is no right or wrong answer... just you need to have the best marketing strategy for your target audience.

As many here have mentioned, the people who can afford to own and maintain a tape machine, seem to want to know more about how the product works and how it will actually benefit them, not that such and such have used it and it's great... (BTW I don't believe they actually had to pay for it, they probably get it given to them for free to demo, bla bla bla)

I think, a little more info on how it actually works would be beneficial.
J

Matthew Jacobs said:
To me, this just sounds like a marketing issue. There are many ways to market a product, for example using quantitative data such as facts and technical data or seeking a emotional response in the consumer (think about most adverts on TV, there really isn't much info on the product). The obvious cliche being using half naked women... bla bla bla

At the moment, Endless Analogue seem to be using the latter form of marketing... name dropping, etc... creating hype

Now, there is no right or wrong answer... just you need to have the best marketing strategy for your target audience.

As many here have mentioned, the people who can afford to own and maintain a tape machine, seem to want to know more about how the product works and how it will actually benefit them, not that such and such have used it and it's great... (BTW I don't believe they actually had to pay for it, they probably get it given to them for free to demo, bla bla bla)

I think, a little more info on how it actually works would be beneficial.
J

Hi Mathew,

Like I mentioned in my earlier post. There are new videos on the way that explain in great detail how the system works. And just to clarify, we do not give away systems, never have, never will. Thanks

ENDLESS ANALOG said:
And just to clarify, we do not give away systems, never have, never will. Thanks

Thanks for clarifying that. I just know that's the way things are done in business. I got some producer friends who get given a lot of stuff for free. Also, if I where launching a product I'd give some away so that I could create a buzz and get some reviews... nothing wrong with that in my opinion, I just treat every review with caution as they may be bias.

Anyway... great product. This is the kind of product that has been on the back of many peoples mind and you guys have made it a reality, so that's really cool and good for you.

Here's an idea, why don't you provide your own machine with a tape recorder built in? That would be great for those who do not have a tape recorder... Have the tape loop and voila... I think that would widen your market... Also if you could make a smaller cheaper unit... say 2 track, with built in tape, I'd definitely buy that...

And finally... since this thread is in the Studio A section... why don't we discuss the benefits of recording to tape --> digital?

Cheers
J

Matthew Jacobs said:
ENDLESS ANALOG said:
And just to clarify, we do not give away systems, never have, never will. Thanks

Thanks for clarifying that. I just know that's the way things are done in business. I got some producer friends who get given a lot of stuff for free. Also, if I where launching a product I'd give some away so that I could create a buzz and get some reviews... nothing wrong with that in my opinion, I just treat every review with caution as they may be bias.

Anyway... great product. This is the kind of product that has been on the back of many peoples mind and you guys have made it a reality, so that's really cool and good for you.

Here's an idea, why don't you provide your own machine with a tape recorder built in? That would be great for those who do not have a tape recorder... Have the tape loop and voila... I think that would widen your market... Also if you could make a smaller cheaper unit... say 2 track, with built in tape, I'd definitely buy that...

And finally... since this thread is in the Studio A section... why don't we discuss the benefits of recording to tape --> digital?

Cheers
J

Thanks Mathew,

We are getting lots of great suggestions from our users and other professionals like yourself and appreciate all the support.

Amy and I might be in London visiting one of our new users (Fraser T. Smith) along with Abbey Road and British Grove(Mark Knopfler) the third week of September. we will know more about the schedule this week. Let me now if you would like to meet up.

I just posted a new video that was sent to us and I am posting it here as well. It's not a tutorial yet, but it's fun.

http://www.endlessanalog.com/video-tutorials

Matthew Jacobs said:

Cheers
J

because that would be beating a dead horse... the debate of analog VS digital has been done to death...

endless analog I applaud you for stepping in and filling in some of the gaps on your system which now has me doing a double take... rock on...

I don't get mr Ehrenberg in that first video. No, that's not half an hour of down time if you record it off of the repro head straight into PT while doing the take. It's like he's making a problem up to be solved.

As for the overdubbing, one simply would put the tape in rec, split the signal, one straight to PT(for monitoring and aligning the tape version up) and one to tape->repro->PT. If you've done it before you probably allready have the delay times down and compensate it with a preset.

Sure, the clasp makes it easier, but is it really that fantastic?

Back