Endless Analog - CLASP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eskimo said:
I don't get mr Ehrenberg in that first video. No, that's not half an hour of down time if you record it off of the repro head straight into PT while doing the take. It's like he's making a problem up to be solved.

As for the overdubbing, one simply would put the tape in rec, split the signal, one straight to PT(for monitoring and aligning the tape version up) and one to tape->repro->PT. If you've done it before you probably allready have the delay times down and compensate it with a preset.

Sure, the clasp makes it easier, but is it really that fantastic?

@Eskimo

Yes, it really is that fantastic. You should try it.

I plan to attend a CLASP demonstration tomorrow.  I'll report back. 

I remember using this years ago.
3632720695_ee698bb96e_b.jpg

It really was.  As a couple guys in their late teens, it was so fun syncing up the MSR-16 to the Audiomedia III-based PT computer.  We thought we had harnessed the future.  Then analog began to vanish.  Well...  over a decade later, we were right! 

I have a few friends who demoed it in Nashville at there studios and loved it.  they said if it was cheaper they would have bought it.  To them it was a great product just a little out of their budgets currently.  I know a number of folk are wondering if its better to get the clasp or get something like the Anamod tape sim.  Both are pricey but with the way new "Artist" work, these type of tools make sense.  People aren't really in for the old work flow of tape.

HI,

If Fraser T has one, it must be good! We used to work together a lot a decade ago or so. Top geyser, and he wouldn't even think about it unless it was the absolute dogs bollox!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
HI,

If Fraser T has one, it must be good! We used to work together a lot a decade ago or so. Top geyser, and he wouldn't even think about it unless it was the absolute dogs bollox!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

I know that is english but I have no idea what you just said ;D

strangeandbouncy said:
HI,

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

lets see if I can translate British to American English...

Fraser T has one so it must be good. you guys used to work together. He is a great person/engineer he would not think about having a unit unless it was great....

am I close?

Translation into 1920's American Slang:

Say now, that Fraser fella's got one so it must be the bees knees.  We're chums from way back.  He's a swell darb who wouldn't muss around if it weren't the cat's pajamas.

lets see if I can translate British to American English...

Too funny ;D

Anyone ever seen the movie, Snatch?
Or heard any Cockney rhyming slang?

How come British slang is so much smarter?

I seem to have to explain the difference between

"That's Bollox" and "it's the dog's bollox"

here in Texas at least twice a month.

to be fair - I can understand why americans find it difficult.

Well, I sat through the CLASP demo yesterday.  It wasn't a sales pitch, as the guys from VK were learning more about it too.  It was an honest this is what it can do, this is how you use it, watch, listen.  I'll just say, I was quite impressed.  If I had the money to buy a 2" machine and a CLASP, I'd be ordering a reel of tape right now. 

It's near instantaneous tape transfer off the repro head into Pro Tools, and the audio is time stamped with their software to calculate the delay from CLASP to heads to CLASP to A/D, and the tape is then random access.  It's so much more convenient that just locking to a deck or doing a transfer.  Even Quickpunch mode works great with it.  No timing issues at all.

It's not a simple machine, but it's a "why didn't anyone do this before" kind of invention. 

I wonder if it can "cleverly" "fill up" the tape. So what I mean is that if you are doing some vocals takes, will the CLASP sort of intelligently record on all tracks on a 2" tape or will it just keep recording and re-recording on track 1 until the user changes it. I mean like, how random access is it?

J

I'm not 100% I understand the question.  From what I gathered...  it arms banks of 8 tracks at a time and requires all the track I/O routing to be sequential.  So CLASP IN 1 goes to Tape in 1 to Tape out 1 to A/D in 1 to D/A 1 to CLASP DAW return 1 to CLASP Monitor out 1.  So if you're using the same track in PT to record the vocals, then it will keep using the same track.  I think the easiest way to use CLASP would be to have a template with your numbered sequential audio tracks and required corresponding master faders for them, record your basic tracks, then move the audio to new permanent tracks once recorded.  Then go back to the CLASP template tracks for overdubs. 

Obviously, I've only seen it in action once.  So, I don't really have a firm GRASP on CLASP.  Their diagram isn't a great block diagram to understand the flow of things.  But it makes a lot more sense to me after actually seeing the workflow. 

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about something I just gotta have, and yet so hopelessly crushed to be a have-not.  I'm about to go listen to some old Cure records and cry in a dark room.

Latest posts

Back