FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to Latch Lake and they said they could do them for 100 each.  If we could get a good number of people interested in them we could possibly get a group buy on them.  Let me know if you guys are interested in going down that road.

They are the same swivel mounts that are used on the Lucas mics. 

They would ship with a lever type handle instead of the Neumann type shown.

latchlake.JPG

I've got three of these m49 bodies on order here that will need a mounting solution. Either DIY or aftermarket. I've got three other mic's which could use the Binder swivel-mount too so i'll say 3-6 swivel-mounts. The thing I really like about using swivels instead of shockmounts is that it's easier to get the mic positioned when you are using a number of larger mic's. Less bulk.

Cheers,
jb

I would be in for two of these, but 100 bucks a pop is kind of steep for me right now though. However, the thing I was coming up with probably would end up costing around that all said and done...

If I get some coin I'll be in though, they look nice!

The Latch Lake swivel mount looks nice and I'm sure it's well-made just like everything else by Latch Lake.  I am interested in two, but I do have a few questions first.

In no particular order:

1.  How is the mount actually fastened to the mic?  It looks like the Binder connector threaded ring holds the connector body on the mic (as usual), and the Latch Lake mount just grips the connector body with three set screws.  (I see three threaded holes in the Latch Lake mount).  If so, is this sufficiently secure?  Or is the mount internally threaded to screw onto the connector body, replacing its thin outer shell?  I just want to be sure the mechanical attachments are robust.

2.  Is some sort of grommet or sleeve provided to protect the cable exiting through the oval hole in the mount?  It looks like the sharp edge of the machined hole might eventually cut the cable jacket.

3.  How is the swivel joint constructed to prevent slippage?  Are the faces machined with radial serrations of some sort?  How tight does the screw have to be tightened to grip the center tenon?  I think I would prefer a split knuckle with two similar halves like the Telefunken design.

4.  Is the Latch Lake mount available in a bead-blasted nickel finish to match the Riggler/tskguy M-49 bodies or does it have the darker Lucasite finish?  The photo looks like nickel, but I'm not sure.

i found a thread on another forum where the production process of the swivel mount is documented on various pages. lots of pics and descriptions:
http://lucasmicrophone.lefora.com/2011/02/14/new-microphone-construction/page1/

jeri said:
The Latch Lake swivel mount looks nice and I'm sure it's well-made just like everything else by Latch Lake.  I am interested in two, but I do have a few questions first.

In no particular order:

1.  How is the mount actually fastened to the mic?  It looks like the Binder connector threaded ring holds the connector body on the mic (as usual), and the Latch Lake mount just grips the connector body with three set screws.  (I see three threaded holes in the Latch Lake mount).  If so, is this sufficiently secure?  Or is the mount internally threaded to screw onto the connector body, replacing its thin outer shell?  I just want to be sure the mechanical attachments are robust.

2.  Is some sort of grommet or sleeve provided to protect the cable exiting through the oval hole in the mount?  It looks like the sharp edge of the machined hole might eventually cut the cable jacket.

3.  How is the swivel joint constructed to prevent slippage?  Are the faces machined with radial serrations of some sort?  How tight does the screw have to be tightened to grip the center tenon?  I think I would prefer a split knuckle with two similar halves like the Telefunken design.

4.  Is the Latch Lake mount available in a bead-blasted nickel finish to match the Riggler/tskguy M-49 bodies or does it have the darker Lucasite finish?  The photo looks like nickel, but I'm not sure.

0dbfs might be better to answer some of these as he actually uses them daily.

I will go meet with Latch Lake after next week when we have better numbers from guys here.  Jeff did say we would need to have several dozen for a group buy price.  Maybe 25?  He was a very nice guy on the phone and I think we may be able to work it out if we get a decent number of guys committed.  So keep posting here if you want in on the mounts. 

I'll add my comments:

The female binder-connector (mic-end of the cable) is connected and secured into the swivel mount via the set-screws. You need to pull the cable through the swivel and build it up as a permanent part of the cable. After you're done you'll have some parts left over from the original connector shell which are being replaced by the LL swivel "shell".

The aluminum "outer sleeve" screws onto the mic-body (body needs to be threaded properly for this) and brings the female part of the binder up into the body nice and tight.

On these bodies it looks like we will have a threaded male binder-connector screwed to the bottom of the mic. Two screws then hold that whole assembly together.

The female binder connector comes with the sleeve to protect the cable. The edges of the hole are rounded so it's "soft" to the sleeve. Edges are not sharp and hard.

Not sure but it's nice and tight. There are various screws and things to tighten up so that the mount is rigid and robust but if it's anything it is robust.

That depends on Jeff but if we had enough commitments to purchase on a dedicated run I don't see why he would be opposed to a custom finish or even a DIY finish where they just do the machining. Not sure but I wouldn't be averse to anything bringing the price down.

I've used originals on many mic's and just this one from LL. I'll buy them again and don't see why they would not last a couple lifetimes.

Cheers,
jb

useme2305 said:
i found a thread on another forum where the production process of the swivel mount is documented on various pages. lots of pics and descriptions:
http://lucasmicrophone.lefora.com/2011/02/14/new-microphone-construction/page1/

What an inspiring story! I'm was amazed at amount of thought that went into the Lucas microphone.

We all owe a great debt to Oliver for sharing this information, as well as for everything else that he has posted on various forums.

I'm going out of town for a week on Saturday.  After that I will check back in here and get a count of guys who want them and the approach Jeff with that number and see what he can do.

Everything Latch Lake I have ever used is ROBUST!  So these are a one time purchase as far as I could ever imagine.

I am mixing a festival this week and started to look through the info thread on the Latch Lake mount, but could not find if the tilt is indexed or not. Does anyone know?

hi dan, i'm interested in one depending on final price. 
the cable pass-through looks like it does need some treatment, maybe when you meet up you can ask them for a proper solution or suggestion.  thanks for organizing this!
best,
grant

Latest posts

Back