FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right:

"Maximum Weight: 500g (horizontal), 900g (vertical)".

And I believe there's a second version with a different weight range.

Edit: it's the smaller than 55mm diameter version that comes in two weight ranges.

I use Rycote shock mounts for orchestra recording with pencil condensers and they are awesome. Worth every penny! Really cleaned up a lot of junk. If these isolate as well, and it looks like the same isolation system mine have, they should be great.

That said, I dig the Latch Lake product too...

According to th B&H Photo web site these mounts will support almost 2 lbs. (900g):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=839531&Q=&is=REG&A=details

bernbrue said:
riggler said:
I agree, eapecially all the high-Z stuff needs to be off the board. And then AC701 has its grid connection on the opposite side of other subminis.

Well, as you can see in the tons of pictures I send you, almost all component are placed under the plastic cover, including the high.Z stuff. So if we had a nice round pcb underneath the plastic cover, similar to the  C12 pcb made by Matador and Chunger, this would be a really cool project. A miniature tube like the EF732 would fit in there as well. I wouldn´t mind if Dan provided a pcb for this project. But it is up to you, Damien. It´s your project.
regards
Bernd

I'm just really curious about the high meg resistors used in the original. Anyone know what type these were? Surely not carbon comp? They look interesting. And are there any like them now available?

Phrazemaster said:
bernbrue said:
riggler said:
I agree, eapecially all the high-Z stuff needs to be off the board. And then AC701 has its grid connection on the opposite side of other subminis.

Well, as you can see in the tons of pictures I send you, almost all component are placed under the plastic cover, including the high.Z stuff. So if we had a nice round pcb underneath the plastic cover, similar to the  C12 pcb made by Matador and Chunger, this would be a really cool project. A miniature tube like the EF732 would fit in there as well. I wouldn´t mind if Dan provided a pcb for this project. But it is up to you, Damien. It´s your project.
regards
Bernd

I'm just really curious about the high meg resistors used in the original. Anyone know what type these were? Surely not carbon comp? They look interesting. And are there any like them now available?

http://www.surplussales.com/Resistors/MetalFilm/MF5M-100G.html

scott_humphrey said:
Phrazemaster said:
bernbrue said:
riggler said:

regards
Bernd

http://www.surplussales.com/Resistors/MetalFilm/MF5M-100G.html
Scott, thank-you. I have seen this site before. Are you saying that the early high meg resistors would have been types like these?

What is your opinion of the modern metal oxide resistors like ohmite brand? I have read/heard that metal oxides can be noisy and that's the last thing I'd want to perpetrate on a mic. In the end I just got the best resistors I could - some would say it's audiophoolery but that's ok. I got some Shinkoh's for lower values, and then some caddocks and Vishay bulk foils.

But I'm genuinely still curious about what the originals would have been (type-wise).

Thanks again,

Mike

Phrazemaster said:
Scott, thank-you. I have seen this site before. Are you saying that the early high meg resistors would have been types like these?

What is your opinion of the modern metal oxide resistors like ohmite brand? I have read/heard that metal oxides can be noisy and that's the last thing I'd want to perpetrate on a mic. In the end I just got the best resistors I could - some would say it's audiophoolery but that's ok. I got some Shinkoh's for lower values, and then some caddocks and Vishay bulk foils.

But I'm genuinely still curious about what the originals would have been (type-wise).

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Generally, self noise from resistors is minimal unless there is a lot of current flowing through them. In case of these tube mics, there is minimal current is flowing through these resistors. Because of this, I'm highly doubtful that resistor type makes any difference here with regards to self noise (but of course I'll defer to anyone who has tried a side-by-side comparison).

I don't know what was used in the originals, sorry.

Now, for the 100k resistor that feeds the B+ voltage to the tube's plate it might matter more. Carbon comp resistors in that position can be noisy. The classic case of self-noise from the plate resistor in guitar amps even has a name: "Fender disease." Replace those carbon comp with metal film resistors and the noise goes away, but purist will tell you that the sound of the amp changes, too. Me, I just prefer low self noise.

Hey guys, I stopped over to Latch Lake yesterday.  They told me they are still interested in the idea of selling the swivels.  They just need to wait until after NAMM to get me final pricing and all that.  They have a few new things coming out at NAMM keeping them busy.

i wasn't there since a long time and i've the pleasure to see that you guys are still crazy ! ;) Do you know when the bodies will be available on white market and have you a pricing for them ? I'm on one ! regards from france

Latest posts

Back