FET "Grinder"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gustav said:
miszt said:
got a pair of the Phat Phet boards (they look great, very nice layout, thanks Gustav!) I'm hoping to build a stereo unit - which components do I need to match and how closely, for the best stereo image possible?

Matching FETs and pots would be most critical, and you'll need to search for the stereo link and build that into it and check the 1176 schematic on where to tap it from the board, since it was not designed into it,

miszt said:
also has anyone done any resistor charts for switched versions?

You would have to come up with it yourself, if you want to do that .

miszt said:
lastly, should i build them in separate boxes to avoid interference, or will they work fine in a single 2 or 3U box?

A channel will fit into 1RU, and I would advice you to build two separate units.

Gustav

thanks for the info :)

I was contemplating building it like the 1176-2, but having the power supply externally (I already have a +/-15V power supply I built a while ago while will probably do the trick(haven't actually check what V this runs on yet...)) - perhaps with a metal wall between the two, if interference between the PCB's is an issue? or is it just the power supply interference that is of concern?

does the stereo link just sum the input and send the same signal to both sidechains (so that both sets of controls still work), or does it send the control signal to the linked unit, and completely bypasses the controls on the 2nd unit?

miszt said:
I was contemplating building it like the 1176-2, but having the power supply externally (I already have a +/-15V power supply I built a while ago while will probably do the trick(haven't actually check what V this runs on yet...)) - perhaps with a metal wall between the two, if interference between the PCB's is an issue? or is it just the power supply interference that is of concern?

does the stereo link just sum the input and send the same signal to both sidechains (so that both sets of controls still work), or does it send the control signal to the linked unit, and completely bypasses the controls on the 2nd unit?

www.google.com

- 1176 schematic. That will show you where and how the link is tapped on the original. You'll have to figure out how to that on the board, since its not implemented.

- 1176 stereo link. That will give you some options and show you how to do the stereo link.

Checking the schematic for the Phat Phet will give you an idea about the voltages needed. Theres an on-board PSU.

To build two, I would only populate one PSU, draw power to both and finish it before working out any problems that may arise. I would not do this if I were not up to putting in some work and take some action to solve any problems that may arise.

Hope that helps...

Gustav

Hi!

Finished one, +30v/-10v are OK
Jumped

I don't know how to connect the XLR with the molex connector, I mean I don't know where are 1, 2 and 3 pins?
Try to check the schematic but I don't find the answer, sorry but I'm a rookie DIYer^^
Someone could help me please?

Oh... What kind of issue if you use 220f caps instead of 22f?

Thanks!!!

Hi all!

After 8 years, I decided to finished my FET Grinder and it seems pretty ok.

I followed the procedure from Gustav to calibrate and the compression is working BUT when the switch is on Bypass position.
Do I missed something ?

On other hand, the Dirt pot does not do anything i can hear :confused:

Thanks for your support.

Attachments

• 1650790044042.jpg
    1650790044042.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 18
  • 1650790044070.jpg
    1650790044070.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 17
Hi for all, just give me the pcb´s for the assembly the fet grinder rev.3...is there a way to have an assembly manual? where can I buy the front panels? someone with the .fpd file, greetings, David.

Latest posts

Back