GroupDIY - A fresh look and mobile/tablet friendliness (a work in progress)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only issue I'm having is on the main page, the links to the subforums seem to be acting very weird.

Almost like there is a sweet spot the mouse needs to land onto in order to highlight the link to click.

**it's only happening on the main page... subsequent pages/links are working fine.

OSX 10.9.4
FF 32.0.1

***Now working fine***  :D

I apologize in advance for being on an antique OS, but......\
On Mac OS 10.4.11:  when I log in, I get an "about; blank" page instead of returning to the main page or where I was (or any other useful location.)  I do get logged in, though. 

Same page comes up when I send a PM.  I have no idea if the PM got through or not. 

EDIT:  It goes to "about: blank" when I post as well, but obviously the post gets through.

> on the main page, the links to the subforums seem to be acting very weird.

Agree. The hot-spot is a half a pixel.

And the white-space is Too Damned Big.

3/4" off each side. 2 more inches on left for names/avatars.  3/4" off the top for the non-scrolling header (which may be a Good Thing). Then THREE inches for bredcrums, SEARCH SEARCH and pointless NEWS.

I'd rather go work on my furnace.

Generous use of blank is maybe too generous -- but then again, why not. It makes reading easier after all, although I have to scroll more cos I often read the forum on a tiny netbook.

Just as before, when I want to browse through a long thread looking for some specific information that I remember but do not remember where it was in a thread, I switch to "print" mode and use "search".  So no problem.

Number of posts by members below avatar is gone. Some years ago, when I was new to this forum, the number of posts was valuable information. But then again, the number of posts does not say anything about the quality of content. So probably not needed.

Related or suggested similar topics at bottom of page was a very good feature. I hope it will return :)

One thing that is really annoying for me though: when scrolling, or rather when going one page down at a time, it scrolls a tiny bit too far skipping the first sentence of the next page down. Then, every time, I have to go back half an inch  to read that first sentence. I often use a netbook with small screen, so maybe that's the problem; however, it did not happen with the old version. Is there a way to fix that in the stylesheet? maybe the top menu bar is too high.

Would also love to see, "New replies" and "Unread posts" button on top menu bar. And why not the "Messages" too. There's still space.

A good start! I really wish there was a way to get rid of the adds in the middle of the replies....

Whoa, didn't log in for couple of days and so came as a shock to see the change!

I'm sure it will settle down with some tweaking, but here's my observation.
I read the forum a lot on my iPad, usually in landscape. The fonts and graphics are way too large this way, but if I rotate and use the iPad in portrait it looks much better. It could even be smaller in fact.

Could the sizes stay the same in landscape as portrait? That would be super.

Great work Ethan.

The Gimmer

Nice one.

What is the Font you use for the Forum on Desktop? Not very readable imho, the lines are all different from letter to letter,
while it gives a vintage typewriter, ink imperfection look, i prefer the one for Tablet and all.

T.

PS: I have a calibrated little screen (for photo work), and the white is good, calibrated screen takes all that brightness that
flat screen tend to have, you should all dim your screens a little in terms of brightness, colors will fit better as well.

Could you add an option to select "classic view" for logged in members? Unfortuantely, IMO  this new look wastes space and is inefficient in many ways (for instance, in order to be shown "recent posts" I now have to make two clicks instead of one).

I have to say, I'm less likely to get sucked into reading more posts then I intended in this new format
a couple of the elements keep me away and I find myself coming here, using this less.

sahib said:
Could the hotspot problem be fixed on sub forum hyper links?
It is extremely irritating to try to locate it.
I can't seem to reproduce this issue on Safari  7.0.5, Firefox 32.0.1, Chrome 37.0.2062.120, on OSX 10.9.4. or on windows 7 with IE 11.  Can you email me a screenshot / short video clip ?
EDIT: Found issue, fixed.

The new format was confusing at first, but I've gotten used to it.  Really, the only thing I'm missing the the confirming shading around the "new" box when I tap it on a mobile device.  This would let me know whether or not I had actually touched the correct place on the screen.  It may be nitpicky, but it was helpful.

Well, honestly I don´t like the new look at all. Expecially the "read new post since your last visit" button is very difficult to find. I need three clicks now, in the old version it was directly available.  I miss the "number of posts" counter.  A bit more color would be helpful as well.  Anyway, Ethan,  I appreciate your work very much!!
Thanks for doing this.
Bernd

Font size seems good now, at least on my IPad. Great work. It is still hard to read the Threads because there's no optical separation between the single posts. Perhaps that could be tweaked with the background color. Make every second post have a light grey background perhaps?

Cheers.

Hi Ethan,

The problem remains.

I am posting five images.

After the 4th position (image) I have to pull down the mouse literally a fractionally to find the hotspot.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back