GroupDIY - A fresh look and mobile/tablet friendliness (a work in progress)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like you might still have the old CSS file cached.  Try clearing your cache and trying again.
I was able to reproduce the issue (only apparent for screen res @ or less than 1200px) and believe it to be fixed now for all screen resolutions.

Tried on a few systems so far, everything works for me on osx and win7. But too much blank space still and too white. It'd be nice to be able to distinguish where posts start and end.

Avatar next to post rather than above  worked better and i too
would like to see post count
come back, it was especially helpful in the BM.

Im writing on a galaxy s2, older phone with decent size screen, and have to say the old site worked better, size wize. I cant use it in landscape anymore, between the address bar and header i lose most of the screen....
Otherwise i like the clean look, just hope we can smooth out the kinks.

:eek: Serious question: is there a reason all contrast is removed to make sites 'mobile friendly'? This looks like the new MS office (they had to GIVE IT AWAY for £5.00 to their corporate clients to get anyone to use it.

I realize this is a work in progress but posts all run into one another in the snow storm...  ???

It used to be that the entire home/front page of the forum would fit on a single screen of my workstation - the entire forum at glance. Now the scrollbar tells me the page is 2.5x screen height.

Just sayan.

Nice look, but a LOT of blank spaces and very little information/text makes it feel a bit odd. You have to scroll a lot which to me makes it less enjoyable and easy to use.

hey Ethan thanks for the effort! I wonder if it could be posible to have a general "unread post" button I used to use that button all the time.

New site comments:

Format:
For those of us with poor eyesight I would like to give the "high contrast" of the text a big thumbs up (though the old design was pretty easy to read). 

Search
I know the forum search is a "load intensive" function and you might want to reduce it's use.  But is there any way to get to it?  The only way I have found so far is to do a "forum search" for more that 3 characters.  Ignore the result and click on the Search link above (in the line that reads GroupDIY /  Search /  Search Results).  Then click on advanced search.  Then I can search for posts by a specific poster.

Is there an easier way?

Minor bug
Also, FYI... you cannot search for members with 2 character names in the member search.  Not a big problem but thought you might like to know.

If the original search is still around, I don't see it.  Gotta have that back.  Ability to select by user, etc. 

I don't dig the mobile experience.  I was happy enough on a tiny iPhone 4, it's basically unmanageable now.  I've stopped trying to look.  The disappearing bottom bar is maddening.  The standard method where everything disappears while scrolling down, and comes back when scrolling up is just fine.  I don't see a need for the hard vanish. 

Unread threads isn't working here. 

New site Primer:
It may help some of us to have a primer on the new site format.  Here is what I have learned about navigating  on the new site.  Please forgive any errors, and if you notice any new functionality or changes or errors please let me know and I will update.

Show new replies to your posts - In the member name drop down top right (click on your own member name).
Show unread replies since your last visit - In the member name drop down top right.

Searches:
Google custom search - searches whole site (apparently)
forum search - More powerful than before I think. Searches the currently active topic , board, or the whole forum (appears to depend upon what is currently active).  So if you are looking at a topic, you can just search one topic, and if you are "in" the Lab, your search will search the whole lab.
advanced search - works like before, but is buried.  Find it by searching a topic in forum search, getting a result, and then clicking on search at the top of the screen (in the line that reads GroupDIY /  Search /  Search Results), then clicking advanced.

Other functions:
Profile, Personal Messaging and Logout - In the member name drop down top right.

New functions: You can now find unread by "board" (lab, technical documents, etc).  (Note: You can still do the global unread's in the member name drop down top right.)

Notices some changes :)

Like it and already got used to it.

Congratulations and thanks for the hard work.

gyraf said:
??!? Something happened, and all is now perfectly readable on my setup..
Could it be the firefox update to 32.0.1 that was just pushed?
Jakob E.
It not the Firefox update.  Everything is the same as yesterday (per update).  On my PC the font size is good (about the same as the old look. 

But most of the screen is wasted white space.

I really appreciate the idea of modernization and I REALLY REALLY appreciate all the work that Ethan does here to keep this place running and so wonderful to frequent.

Having said that, I'm not feeling this new layout as much as the old one. In fact I've already noticed myself using the site less and less each day.

I'd have to +1 most of the other feedback, both positive and negative, but the big one for me is the white background (I just want to pick my own colour scheme) and the large amount of left/right white space on my desktop (it's at least 33% of my screen real-estate that remains unused).

Again, the font seems pretty gigantic (though very pretty and nicely anti-aliased), and in comparison to the previous layout, the lack of visually distinguished bordering does make a lot of disparate areas "blend together" visually.

Overall, I can completely appreciate what you are doing and know it is most likely a work in progress, and I'm happy to be here for the ride. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back