GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hugo said:
Yes it fits..you also can take pre wired... shielded cables are not so important in that build..it is dead quiet even without them..
https://www.banzaimusic.com/PCB-Connector-25-5G.html

Hugo, are those pre made connectors from Banzai single ended molex or are their molex connectors on each side? It would save heaps of time if I didn't have to make the 10-pin connector. It would be ok if I had to only make one side, but having both sides finished would be ideal!  8)

Hi Gustav
In your documetation there is a That 2181 vca, but there isn't distortion trim in the bom and in the " FullKitAssemblyGssL_rev1".
It's a mistake?

Thanks!!!

justinheronmusic said:
Hugo, are those pre made connectors from Banzai single ended molex or are their molex connectors on each side? It would save heaps of time if I didn't have to make the 10-pin connector. It would be ok if I had to only make one side, but having both sides finished would be ideal!  8)
No problem : https://www.banzaimusic.com/PCB-Connector-25-10G.html all sides included, you will save lot of time ;-)
Hugo

hugo said:
No problem : https://www.banzaimusic.com/PCB-Connector-25-10G.html all sides included, you will save lot of time ;-)
Hugo

I just placed my order, thank you so much, Hugo. This is definitely got me back on track with my GSSL!

ilfungo said:
Hi Gustav
In your documetation there is a That 2181 vca, but there isn't distortion trim in the bom and in the " FullKitAssemblyGssL_rev1".
It's a mistake?

Thanks!!!

Last question:
Can I use that 2181 in sidechain?
If the lift (no 47R) pin 4 disconnected how to Set the distortion? It's not important in sidechain?
Thanks!

trimmer for distortion is replaced with a resistor in the bom, if my memory is correct..refer to the part number and search it on the bom.

gyraf said:
Ron,

As mentioned several times, you need a standard, linear-scale meter, 1mA FSD sensitivity. The actual type has little or no significance. I think the original used a sifam presentor 19wf. in us, try meterdistributor.

Jakob E.

Jakob,
Sorry to respond to a really old comment, but I'm looking to build a GSSL and all the videos i've seen of the meters show a very unsmooth and erratic motion compared to the actual SSL meter.  Is this just the difference between a cheaper meter and a more expensive one?

Thanks

dgbt said:
Jakob,
Sorry to respond to a really old comment, but I'm looking to build a GSSL and all the videos i've seen of the meters show a very unsmooth and erratic motion compared to the actual SSL meter.  Is this just the difference between a cheaper meter and a more expensive one?

Thanks

im not Jakob, but i had this question a while ago, and the answer was something like "cheap meters bounce". i paid 35 EUR for my meter, and it seems its a cheap one. :(

SSL sells the Sifam meter for 148.5 EUR  (SSL part code : 42MDT7FP)

i guess a LED meter would work better, and it would be cheaper too.

Hi everyone,

I encountered an issue which is I guess related to the sidechain wiring of the GSSL with the turbo board. So I have a turbo board from expat audio installed on my GSSL, and everything seemed to work until I move the pan knob of the master channel of my console. I use my GSSL as a mix buss compressor inserted on the Master output section of my console and here's what I've got when moving the pan from left to right... Pan knob completely on left side, signal not compressed. Pan knob completely on right side, signal compressed. Pan knob in the middle, signal compressed on both sides (with or without the HPF on). I didn't realized it before as the unit behaves as it should on a stereo signal, compressing both sides. So my question is... Is this behaviour normal ? Do you think there is a problem with the sidechain wiring or with the turbo board ?

Thanks

Sorry I need Help.
I've build 10 GSSL and always worked them and sound great.
Now I've build New GSSL the last rev from PCB Grinder, and I do not have experience with this ...
All is working but the compression is strange,
It's very aggressive and not seem to control well the transients
Snappy sound ...
I've checked all the components and all is in the right place ...
Someone have something similar?
could be a problem in sidechain area?
Thanks!

In bypass the unit sound perfect and when turned on with threshold fully cw sound good....

ilfungo said:
Sorry I need Help.
I've build 10 GSSL and always worked them and sound great.
Now I've build New GSSL the last rev from PCB Grinder, and I do not have experience with this ...
All is working but the compression is strange,
Snappy sound ...
I've checked all the components and all is in the right place ...
Someone have something similar?
could be a problem in sidechain area?
Thanks!

In bypass the unit sound perfect and when turned on with threshold fully cw sound good....
did you put a jumper on the sc ?

ilfungo said:
All is working ...
obviously not...
Snappy sound ...
double check the +/-12VDC supply voltage rails. Most likely the +12VDC rail is hanging on startup, causing described symptoms. Anti-latching diodes for these rails (similar fix as for the +/-15VDC rails) as previously and repeatately described should fix it.
Good luck

Hi HArpo Thaks for help
All the voltage are good from regulators.
All IC's have right alimentations:
The only strange is all the  pin 1 and 8 of 5534 I have 12v...
It's normal?

As no-one answered I'm asking again. I have a problem on my GSSl which I guess is related to the wiring of the turbo board and sidechain HPF. When sending a stereo signal on the unit, everything is fine and the GSSL compresses both sides with a normal stereo image (everything is paned like it should), but when muting right side, I have an uncompressed signal on left side. When muting left side, the signal on right side is compressed. Any idea???
I must explain what I did for the turbo board... I replaced the single pole SPDT switch with a DPDT and I followed Gustav's advice to copy the wiring of the sidechain coming from the GSSL on the other side of the DPDT switch to the turbo board and connecting one wire to the lifted legs of the 22uf cap and the other to the left hole of the cap directly on the turbo board. I didn't realize the problem before as the unit is behaving normaly on a stereo signal.

Thanks for your help.

innercityman said:
As no-one answered I'm asking again. I have a problem on my GSSl which I guess is related to the wiring of the turbo board and sidechain HPF. When sending a stereo signal on the unit, everything is fine and the GSSL compresses both sides with a normal stereo image (everything is paned like it should), but when muting right side, I have an uncompressed signal on left side. When muting left side, the signal on right side is compressed. Any idea???
I must explain what I did for the turbo board... I replaced the single pole SPDT switch with a DPDT and I followed Gustav's advice to copy the wiring of the sidechain coming from the GSSL on the other side of the DPDT switch to the turbo board and connecting one wire to the lifted legs of the 22uf cap and the other to the left hole of the cap directly on the turbo board. I didn't realize the problem before as the unit is behaving normaly on a stereo signal.

Thanks for your help.

Did you use 2x SC boards ?

Hey Hugo, thanks for the reply. No, my build is a GSSL board from Gustav with the built in sidechain HPF and a turbo board. The turbo board is not switchable, it is wired permanently. I wanted to retain the HPF function as there's a switch on the front panel. I followed Gustav's advices for wiring and keeping the HPF switch in and out function. I used a DPDT switch instead of the SPDT one coming originally with the kit, and connect one side to the HPF on the GSSL and the other on the turbo board, and it works.
The problem I described is not such a big deal as the unit behaves normally on a stereo signal, but it's really weird that when muting right side, left side isn't compressed.

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, searched around but have had no joy. I'm trying to mod my gssl so that the super side chain works on the normal board, but I want to add another step on the  sidechain rotary switch that passes the audio through a turbo board and not the sidechain. So it goes ext / off / 60 / 90 /130 / 200 / tl / tm / turbo. Is this possible without having a separate switch to select the turbo?

Hello, I need a little help with my GSSL build.  Problem is when signal hits threshold it gets compressed, and release time is very very long, like minute or so on all settings.

I used THAT2181C chips, also tried Cool audio V2181. Still same problem.
I checked caps, diodes polarity, swapped all IC's nothing changed, tried pulling resistors and remeasuring - seems all good, checked wiring few times, searched for pcb bridges - haven't found anything suspicious.  Voltages are correct on all IC's .

While fooling around after not knowing what to do and shorting resistors and diodes with small value resistor I found out that when side chain diode, in schematics right before attack switch is shorted, compressor starts pumping - working. Calibrated 120k resistor to 108k, to get right compression rates.

Anybody has ideas what is wrong with my build, tried to replace the diode, but when it is in circuit again, problem persists. I am almost satisfied even with this build, one thing that still bothers me is when i switch to slower attack times, release times gets longer too, even if it is set to fastest and it seems like there is not much compression happening right there.

Sorry for my grammar, thanks in advance! :)

eyefll said:
Hello, I need a little help with my GSSL build.  Problem is when signal hits threshold it gets compressed, and release time is very very long, like minute or so on all settings.

I used THAT2181C chips, also tried Cool audio V2181. Still same problem.
I checked caps, diodes polarity, swapped all IC's nothing changed, tried pulling resistors and remeasuring - seems all good, checked wiring few times, searched for pcb bridges - haven't found anything suspicious.  Voltages are correct on all IC's .

While fooling around after not knowing what to do and shorting resistors and diodes with small value resistor I found out that when side chain diode, in schematics right before attack switch is shorted, compressor starts pumping - working. Calibrated 120k resistor to 108k, to get right compression rates.

Anybody has ideas what is wrong with my build, tried to replace the diode, but when it is in circuit again, problem persists. I am almost satisfied even with this build, one thing that still bothers me is when i switch to slower attack times, release times gets longer too, even if it is set to fastest and it seems like there is not much compression happening right there.

Sorry for my grammar, thanks in advance! :)

No problem reading your post at all, so grammar certainly wasn't a problem :)

Did you miss the comma on the values for the caps in the release circuit by any chance?

0,47uF and 6,8uF

Gustav

Latest posts

Back