GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
i took that baby to a Pro Engineer, and he said that voltages are correct.
When i switch it "on" and both switches (SC/BP) are "down/off" the Needl goes to 20 at the end.
Putting up the "sc" switch will bring the needle to "0". I then connect it to my mixers master insterts and there is nothing happening to the the signal.
i went again through the instalation process, couldnt find any mistakes. :/ dont know what to check after ..
thanks in advance!  8)

georgepalilis said:
Thanks!
i took that baby to a Pro Engineer, and he said that voltages are correct.
When i switch it "on" and both switches (SC/BP) are "down/off" the Needl goes to 20 at the end.
Putting up the "sc" switch will bring the needle to "0". I then connect it to my mixers master insterts and there is nothing happening to the the signal.
i went again through the instalation process, couldnt find any mistakes. :/ dont know what to check after ..
thanks in advance!  8)

Lots of variables at play with that generel description. Start by tripple checking the wiring of he bypass and SC..

And to be clear - you are getting audio through the unit, but no processing?

Gustav

i found i had forgoten a jumper on the left vca and soldered it now.
the unit in the insert doesnt affect the sound. i hear music without anything changing after switching it on/off, or playing around with the knobs. tomorrow i have time to check it out again.
thanks.

georgepalilis said:
i hear music without anything changing after switching it on/off,

If you have audio regardless of  the unit being on or off, you do not have the unit patched in correctly.

Gustav

connections should be correct. the unit is connected with neutric insert cables at the master inserts. and the wiring should be also correct. its not the first compressor i use. i have a midas venice240 and been using a RNC FMR the same way.
today i installed it again and let it on, and after a few minutes 1 Cap at the output (next to the molex con.) blew up.  a second one was also pupmed and also replaced it. the unit itself without any audio cables in only on goes to 20dB when i sitch off the SC. (when its down)
thank you.
G

georgepalilis said:
after a few minutes 1 Cap at the output (next to the molex con.) blew up.  a second one was also pupmed and also replaced it.

For that to happen, I'd suspect you have some short circuits somewhere.

Remove all ICs, and check voltages - take it from there.

Gustav

Hello everyone!
I'm still a noob in this DIY world but i'm building a GSSL and apparently all seems to work fine except the makeup gain.
Threshold and the db compression on the meter seems wright, ratio, attack and release i think is ok too, bypass switch working too and i have no noticeable noise, the only thing apparently not working is the makeup gain.
I have already change wire and re-soldered but it does nothing.
Any ideias where can be the most obvious place to debug it?
Thanks.

The obvious problem is a bad solder joint or solder bridge. Take your meter and measure resistance between CW-wiper while the turning the potentiometer with it in the circuit. If the resistance stays at 0ohm then you have a bridge or a short somewhere. If it changes and still doesn't work then you have a bad connection or misplaced part. That's the obvious answer.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi. I build GSSL with HPF (by Steffen) and i need your help.
Say me please, which function have this trimpot 10k on picture in this SC HP.
Value R7 is correct in the feedback loop?  Because input voltage opamp pin 6 is 1VAC and output voltage pin 7 is min. 0.08VAC and max. 0.916VAC. (1*1/12=0.08), (1*11/12=0.916).  Output voltage pin 7 has be 1VAC or i'm wrong??? Which output voltage i have to set? Thanks

georgepalilis said:
connections should be correct. the unit is connected with neutric insert cables at the master inserts. and the wiring should be also correct. its not the first compressor i use. i have a midas venice240 and been using a RNC FMR the same way.
...except the RNC is unbalanced in/unbalanced out and the GSSL is balanced in/balanced out, so the wiring will Not be the same...

Potato Cakes said:
The obvious problem is a bad solder joint or solder bridge. Take your meter and measure resistance between CW-wiper while the turning the potentiometer with it in the circuit. If the resistance stays at 0ohm then you have a bridge or a short somewhere. If it changes and still doesn't work then you have a bad connection or misplaced part. That's the obvious answer.

Thanks!

Paul

Found the problem. I was missing a bridge in the front pcb on the bypass switch since i'm using the push buttons.
It's working now :)
Thanks
Regars

So From my side, i was able to fire up my SSL and make it work 100% Healthy.
just for the records:
i had 2 mistakes - 1) forgot to put a line Jumper - 2) placed a "That 2180B IC" wrong, normal pin line sockets are used so i missed the direction, it was the first time to use such ICs. So now my SSL is working as it should (i think) :)
thanks!
have a good one everybody!

Hello!
Is it normal if on that 2180B 7pin has +14.8VDC and 5pin has - 2.79VDC for left and right channel?
And on sidechain 2180B 7pin has  +11.9VDC and 5pin has -2.79VDC.
Is that correct values?

Best Regards

I have an issue. An output signal is pretty low. It's about -40db on left and right channel.
Meter shows gain reduction depending on threshold pot and dinamically react on various audio signals.
But sonically it's like VCA supress a signal all the time.
And makeup gain doesn't gives any changes.
On TL072 pin7 voltage swinging from 0VDC to -1.93VDC depending on makeup gain pot.
Then I mesured signal of control voltage at 3pin of NE5534 for channels and it swinging from 0mV to -100mV. Output 6pin of NE5534 gives about 130mV DC constantly.

All IC oriented normally and it supply voltages is correct for positive and negative pins.
All diods positioned correctly.
All VCA fit perfectly in right direction.
Resistors is correct.
All pcb connections is ok.
Polarity of electrolitic caps is normal.
I checked all triply.

I didn't found the same issue yet.

Best Regards

My Gssl is only working on the right side, the left side it's not compressing and the controls threshold/ratio/attack/release/makeup have no effect.
I have swap the ICs from the right and left and the same behaviour on the left side, no compression.
Any idea where the problem can be?
Thanks again.
Regards
Tiago

TMSALVES said:
My Gssl is only working on the right side, the left side it's not compressing and the controls threshold/ratio/attack/release/makeup have no effect.
I have swap the ICs from the right and left and the same behaviour on the left side, no compression.
Any idea where the problem can be?
Thanks again.
Regards
Tiago

Did swapping the ICs include the VCAs?

And is the audio coming through in both channels, just with no compression on one side?

Gustav

Gustav said:
Did swapping the ICs include the VCAs?

And is the audio coming through in both channels, just with no compression on one side?

Gustav

Yes, i swap all the ICs, VCAs, input and output.
Audio coming from both channels but only compressing on one side.

EDIT: Found the problem, i have re-solder the 2 47K and the jumper above the left VCA and it's now working :)

Thanks for all the support :)
Tiago

Latest posts

Back