GSSL "Turbo + two SSC" Super SideChain

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 push buttons with LED (1 for Bypass, the other for Turbo).
I have to connect one of the buttons to one of the SSC boards, because of Relay & LED, I've been told.
The other can be connected to the ControlPcb, I guess. But I don't know, please enlighten me!

The SSC knob has 7 stops, and no EXT.
I have a 2 deck, 11 POS rotary switch (the 12th POS is the Pole).

Last edited:
As for GSSL "Turbo + two SSC"
It's described in this thread:

Just need to read ;)
I've read all 17 pages.. I didn't find a sketch.

Are you referring to page 9?
If not, please link what I need to see.

Unfortunately all pics & links are dead. Answers & solutions are spread out in pieces on different pages.
Also, im a visual learner, that's how my brain works.. so a drawing makes more sense! Anybody can read a drawing 😄

You have a working unit with 2x SSC, right?
Can you draw lines on a sketch if I upload one without the lines?
I really don't know where all the wires should go.. this is not very clear, from all the readings I've been doing these last few weeks. Or please link to any guidance you've seen.

A sketch is definitely needed here, so we'll have a diagram on how to connect two SSC, once for all.
And avoid future members with that same question :)

Attachments

• SSC NOwire.png
    SSC NOwire.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have built a stock unit that works, and I will soon be wiring up a TURBO board and 2 SSC boards.
I will keep an eye on this thread and contribute anything useful that I find.

Regarding the RATIO connector on the TURBO board:
I think you need to change your ratio switch from a "1 deck" version to a "2 deck" version.
Then, one deck goes to the control PCB (as usual) but the second deck goes to the RATIO connector on the TURBO board.

There is a chance you have spare poles on your rotary switch (if its a Lorlin style switch), so you can wire to one of those spare poles.

And now that I've written that all out, I realize that your "to control board" is correct :)

It will be great to have more info sharing goin on.
The turbo is quite easy because there’s a .pdf guide on Expat’s website, so you can’t go wrong with the installing.
I have successfully installed my Turbo board yesterday without any help from GroupDIY.

The SSC on the other hand, don’t have a guide or anything from the seller.
I haven’t seen a sketch either, for a successfully working 2xSSC unit.

The allegedly “wiring info” is suppose to be somewhere in the ADD-ON thread.
But I haven’t found anything. My suspicion says there ain’t any!

Regarding the RATIO connector on the TURBO board:
I think you need to change your ratio switch from a "1 deck" version to a "2 deck" version.
Then, one deck goes to the control PCB (as usual) but the second deck goes to the RATIO connector on the TURBO board.

There is a chance you have spare poles on your rotary switch (if its a Lorlin style switch), so you can wire to one of those spare poles.
Are you talking about the Ratio rotary switch on the control board?
If so, it’s just a normal type that came with my kit from PCB-Grinder.

I’ve wired the ratio connection from TurboBoard to the back of the controlboard, advised from the guide, so there’s no need for an additional switch/deck.

Last edited:
As for the wiring goes, I have no idea where to take the left side connections to:
L
R
0V
Ret
+15

Then on the right side, we have:
in SW:
To
Ret

Where should it go?

I know where to take the right-bottom side Com · Off · On · Pot A · Pot B wires to.
and the mid-bottom part goes to rotary switch DECK A OFF · 60 · 90 · 130 · 200 · TL · TM.

That's ONE board.

What about the other board, where do I wire those connection to, beside the bottom part (goes to rotary switch DECK B) ?

This info is nowhere to be found on the
GSSL - ADD ON thread.

Yes, only whole kits have “guides” and even they aren’t detailed. Pictures only.
Even the SSC BOM list is outdated. Scouting parts wasn’t easy, and I’m still not 100% sure if I ordered the right components.

But he’s not selling kits anymore. Pcb’s only. So no guide is “needed”. Those sellers always refer you to this website. So, here we are: who has the knowledge to solve this? 🥹

So, looking at each SSC board, the +15, -15 and 0 pins need to be supplied +15V DC, -15V DC and 0V (from the main PCB).
The "L" is hooked up as per your diagram.
The "R" is left unconnected (as far as I can tell).
I'm not sure about "Ret".

Yes, both SSC boards will need 0V, +15V, -15V.

The picture below shows some suitable points on the main PCB where you can get these voltages.

Attachments

• BOARD.png
    BOARD.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
That’s the old board. Mine is not like that. I have the latest rev. 11

By the way, is that a picture from PCB-grinder? I believe the sketch is made for hooking only 1 SSC up.
The L and R going to the 47K's are suppose to be the other way around. Maybe it doesn't matter because they're bridged, but on the sketch they're "wrong".
Left VCA are on the east side of PBC and Right VCA are on west side, so are the two 47K's.

Last edited:
Those 3 points on the main board (0V, +15V, -15V) are the same on the more recent revisions.

Indeed that sketch is for hooking up 1 SSC board, but those 3 voltage points are the same ones we need for hooking up 2 SSC boards.
In fact, those 3 points are repeated in the other VCA section, so you can use that for your second SSC board.

Okay cool, that’s good to know. So both boards needs those 3 voltages.

Can they be connected in series? And/or should they be in series? Example: taking the +15 from main to one SSC, and then daisy chain it from there to the other SSC’s +15 point?
Pros & cons?

Last edited:
How did you decide on these new connections?
- Bridging the L and R pins on the SSC boards... I'm not sure that's necessary.
- Looks like you're connecting stuff to the "Ret" pins on the SSC boards too.. How did you figure that part out?

I was planning to use the Don Audio wiring diagram as my primary guide.
I assumed that he is only showing the tricky stuff and has left out the more obvious connections (ground, power rails, sidechain switch wiring, ratio switch additional wiring, relay wiring).

I've read somewhere from Script and Harpo that if you're only using one of the inputs (L or R) because you're using two boards, then you should change the 20K resistors to 10K's on the SSC's input (because the board is made to be used with two inputs, L + R, so just 1 single board).

But when using two boards, and each board only gets a single signal (L or R), either change those 20K's to 10K's or keep the 20K's and add signal to both inputs (L & R). Since I populated both boards to completion, with the exception of a Relay on the Right board, I don't wanna bother to change the resistors to 10K's, so I'm connecting both L & R from SSC to main-PCB's output.

But I can be totally wrong here, I have no idea what I’m doing. This is just research I’ve gathered. No one with experience has confirmed/denied my diagram sketch.

The Don's diagram isn't working properly for many users, or at least is causing problems, especially the + & - on button LED's. I don't know why his diagram is using power for button's LED from main-PCB when you have the option to connect any LED to your SSC.. it seems complicated to me. Or maybe it's not based on Gustav’s SSC-boards.
I wired my button signal to the corner of Control-PCB (power on LED) and that works. The other button LED im gonna connect to SSC. His diagram isn't complete, no! So I don't wanna depend on that.

The RET (return) is the signal going out of the SSC board. The L & R are inputs, the RET is output.

But again, I’m not a 100% sure of this. That’s why I haven’t started yet.
I’m still waiting for someone experienced to say yay or nay.

The info can be found here on page 6, 9 & 12 of: GSSL ass-on help thread, here and here.
Also from tomcat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back