GSSL "Turbo + two SSC" Super SideChain

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, cheers for the info.

I will be looking more carefully at this over the next few weeks.

We will figure it out eventually.

Just looking at the SSC board...

The Don Audio diagram connects a wire to a point called "OUT" which is on the right side of the board.
In reality, there is no "OUT" pin, but there is the "Ret" pin (on the left side of the board) which must be what he was referring to.
(this is what caused my confusion)

You are a bit ahead of me, but I'm catching up :)

Looking at your latest wiring diagram, it looks pretty good to me so far.

Last edited:
Yea that's one of the reasons I don't wanna depend on Don's diagram. It must be for a different board, which makes it rather complicated than helpful, therefor not an option for me with these PcbGrinder boards. Also he's not using the SSC to power up the LED's for pushbutton

Last edited:
So I wired my unit up as per your diagram (except I chose to power my TURBO button's LED from somewhere else, because I am already using the POWER ON LED points for my meter's LED).
I'm just testing it now, and it all seems to work OK.

So I wired my unit up as per your diagram (except I chose to power my TURBO button's LED from somewhere else, because I am already using the POWER ON LED points for my meter's LED).
That's so great to hear.. I hope it all goes well! I've been updating the sketch many times, see if you have the latest. There's power for meter-LED on top-right corner of SSC boards.

MiamiBoy, have you wired up your unit yet?

Mine is wired up, but my RATIO control is not working correctly.
2 compresses more than 4 which compresses more than 10.
If anyone knows a good way to troubleshoot the RATIO control, let me know.

Note - From memory, the RATIO control was working fine when I had my unit wired up as a stock GSSL (without TURBO and 2 x SSC).

Last edited:
Nope, I haven’t done mine yet. Waiting for parts.

Have you double checked your connections from turbo ratio to the control board ratio?
Maybe they're mixed!
ratio.png

Last edited:
Upon further testing, my GSSL is working perfectly.
It seems to behave like an 1176, in that different RATIO settings will change the effective THRESHOLD.
So, I can tell you that your wiring diagram is all good.

Upon further testing, my GSSL is working perfectly.
Have you finished the add-ons following my graph?
I’m wondering if it works correctly.

Mine is not working at all. It passes audio thru but no compression, no bypass, no Turbo and no LED’s are working besides the meter LED
(Only my Left SSC board has a relay)

Last edited:
Yes, I wired mine up identically to your diagram. It all works correctly.

I also only populated 1 of the 2 SSC "switching" sections (with the relay etc).

Did you initially wire up your MAIN PCB and FRONT PANEL PCB as a stock GSSL unit?
If so, did it work properly?

Yea, I had a working unit with Turbo before adding the SSC’s.
I mean, a lot might have gone wrong during installation with all the wires soldered to the bottom (-15 +15 0V).

Do you have +15v & -15v on your meter LED output?
That’s what I have.
And on the In LED I have +15v on the positive and nothing on the negative.
Do you remember what you have?

Maybe the components I’ve purchased aren’t correct. But they’re identical on each board.
I have +15v on the diods on Left board but not on the Right board 😫

Last edited:
I think autocorrect changed one of your words in the last sentence.

I guess the first thing to do is verify the presence of +15V DC and -15V DC on both of the SSC boards.
Use your multimeter on the 5532 chips (pin 8 and pin 4).
If any of the voltages are missing then we need to figure out why.

If you're wondering about your component correctness, post a good photo of the top of one of your SSC boards and we can take a look.

I guess the first thing to do is verify the presence of +15V DC and -15V DC on both of the SSC boards.
Use your multimeter on the 5532 chips (pin 8 and pin 4).
If any of the voltages are missing then we need to figure out why.

Thanks buddy. I have correct voltages on the OpAmps (+15 & -15).

Look at my diods readings on Right board. That’s what I was meant to say.

The top diode is the one connecting to the negative pin of LED In, which has no value (positive is +15).

Ps, aren’t the LED outputs suppose to be lower than 15volt with all the resistors? 1K2 & 2K2

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpeg
    IMG_4416.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
When you engage the compressor (via the BYPASS button) the LEFT side (white stripe) of the top-most diode should have -15V on it.
If it doesn't have that, then the "In LED" will not illuminate.
The SSC board without the "In SW" wired to something... has no possibility of ever powering the "In LED".

FYI:
On one of my SSC boards, I used EVERYTHING in the "switching" section.
On my other SSC board, I used NOTHING in the "switching" section.

When you engage the compressor (via the BYPASS button) the LEFT side (white stripe) of the top-most diode should have -15V on it.
If it doesn't have that, then the "In LED" will not illuminate.
The SSC board without the "In SW" wired to something... has no possibility of ever powering the "In LED".

FYI:
On one of my SSC boards, I used EVERYTHING in the "switching" section.
On my other SSC board, I used NOTHING in the "switching" section.
Okay this is weird. Now the illumination works for some reason on my Left board. Left board has bypass wired.
I do get -15 on both sides of the diode when i engage the button. When disengaged, I get +15.

Alright, so the In LED is not independent from the In Switch.
What to do then? What should I connect to it?
Because on Right board, the button LED is for my Turbo button.

Did you not use both boards for illumination?

Pretty sure I did exactly as your wiring diagram shows:
- Meter LED from the SSC board "Meter LED" connector.
- Bypass button LED from the SSC board "In LED" connector.
- Turbo button LED from the Front Panel PCB "Power ON" LED.

No switches or LEDs connected to the other SSC board.

- Turbo button LED from the Front Panel PCB "Power ON" LED.
Ah okay, I’ve changed my diagram since.

Harpo told me that it’s better to draw the Turbo LED from SSC because it has 15V rather than drawing it from the control-board which has 12V. The Turbo board is already drawing power from the 12VDC, so it's better to leave it and draw from SSC's 15V instead.

Okay I’ll try that.

Weird thing, now the illumination doesn’t work anymore. I mean, the In LED is still giving me 15v but the button doesn’t light up.
BUT, when I switch the poles on my button, neg to pos and pos to neg, then it illuminates 🙄
I don’t know what this means.

And my bypass/compression is still not activating when pushing button. Same with Turbo.

Last edited:
BUT, when I switch the poles on my button, neg to pos and pos to neg, then it illuminates
These are the 2 terminals of the LED that lives inside the button.
The LED is polarized, so must be the right way around to work.

These are the 2 terminals of the LED that lives inside the button.
The LED is polarized, so must be the right way around to work.
I see. Just weird that it doesn’t. But when I try to connect the button LED the correct way to the Meter LED, it illuminates. Just not when connected to In LED, unless the poles are reversed 😫

If we want to power the TURBO LED from an SSC board (instead of the Front Panel board)...
Maybe we could use the METER LED pins.
Or we could use the IN LED pins, but we would have to jumper the IN SW pins.

I will think more about your situation.

Latest posts

Back