How do you guys "pink" your room?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted by: joaquins:  I'm using a lot of wine bottles at the corner off the front wall and floor from one side wall to the other as resonant traps for 100Hz to 125Hz. The idea is to complete a wall I'm missing in the room with bottles.

Then the mission is to drink a lot of wine to get this studio sounding right.  That works for me. LOL!

A lot of them weren't mine, but if it works for you... The problem is different wine have different bottles with different resonace freq, if it's ok for you drink different wines, but many people choose one and stick with it, if it works for your room go for it! LOL

There is some formal experience on this, I can't find it now, I'll post it if I do.

JS

I believe you.  I have numerous Acousitc books that talk about calculations for a Helmholz Resonators.  Create a reverse phase from a resonating chamber that will cancel the wave of that resonating frequency (of that wine bottle).  A little more to it but thats kind of it. 

I'm always looking for a reason to drink a little earlier in the day.  But there is work first, measuring  the problem and then determine the frequency to work on, with the right wine bottles.

Matador said:
Unfortunately match EQ's are no replacement for proper room treatment.

Look at the original plots in the first post:  the room response varies 12+dB just by moving to different parts of the room.  Match EQ's are valid ONLY FOR THAT EXACT POSITION.  Moving your chair/head 4 inches to one side can give a completely different EQ curve.  This happens in treated rooms, but the deviation is orders of magnitude less.

Room treatment is the best bang-for-the-buck that can be spent studio-equipment wise.  With some bass trapping at the corners and some diffusion/absorption on the side walls, and the ceiling at monitor reflection points, your EQ and mixing decisions will be vastly improved.

There is a big 120 hz ish resonance there... 8 or 8 1/2 foot ceilings.  Some eq can help.

My goal is to have the room net out pretty neutral, then check it in the cans.

The whole room doesn't have to be right, this is just for mixing not for recording.  This is a "quick fix" that lets you mix without a perfect room.

I mix from the same position, where I place the mic.  Yes, if I moved back in the room it would be different.  But at low frequencies the problems are pretty consistent in a small room.

b

I think the free Room Eq Wizard Software looks great for getting at least a starting point - and for investigating any acoustic treatments after implementation.

If you don't have a test microphone, Parts Express has some from Dayton Audio that are the cheapest available yet somehow are still well respected (and come with their own unique downloadable calibration files).  I bought a couple.  They seem to do the trick.

I've been using ARC for 6 months or so, seems to give decent results.  It was on sale for a long time, might still be.  I need to shoot it again now that I have some thoughts about the way I did it the first time.  It'll let you store for multiple listening locations, which is nice.  So I can shoot for 2 different sets of speakers and 3-4 listening positions, toggle between them as needed. 

Back