Mastering Insert Switchers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kiopo said:
That's a very neat build. Did you end up sticking with an external power supply?

Yes, I'm using an external 24V power supply for all my insert switch builds that only have insert functions and do not require additional bipolar voltages for audio processing.

Majestic12 said:
Rocinante said:
I am doing something similar but with xlr's since my studio is already wired xlr and trs, anyone got a pcb layout or know where I can get one that uses xlr or 1/4" trs?
Btw terrific job, looks great.

You can always wire xlr or trs sockets directly to the Dsub holes with some small shielded mogami wire.

I also have some boards with ribbon cable headers instead of DSUB. I maybe make some pcbs for XLR sockets that directly connect to these boards.

I do think the Dsub is worth considering even if your studio is wired for XLR / TRS, not just for space in the enclosure but also cost difference isn't that great, seeing as you're going to need 8 chassis mount XLR connectors for 2 inserts even if you already have all the XLR cables. Either way isn't cheap.

Majestic12 said:
kiopo said:
That's a very neat build. Did you end up sticking with an external power supply?

Yes, I'm using an external 24V power supply for all my insert switch builds that only have insert functions and do not require additional bipolar voltages for audio processing.

That makes sense. Do you run into any power issues when cascading a number of boards? I'm only going to use one for my build but leaving space to expand it in the future (just need more gear... hehe).

Hi,

a flip board with LEDs draws around 110mA (depends abit of course on which LEDs and relays you are using)  with everything active. I use external power supplies with 1A max current and those work just fine with lots of headroom in all of my switching units with 3-5 insert boards cascaded.

Majestic12 said:
Rocinante said:
I am doing something similar but with xlr's since my studio is already wired xlr and trs, anyone got a pcb layout or know where I can get one that uses xlr or 1/4" trs?
Btw terrific job, looks great.

You can always wire xlr or trs sockets directly to the Dsub holes with some small shielded mogami wire.

I also have some boards with ribbon cable headers instead of DSUB. I maybe make some pcbs for XLR sockets that directly connect to these boards.

Brother you have a buyer here if you do.  I am at the beginning of building a Neve ended summing mixer (and have been reading a good deal on your and Tim Farrants build btw) that could very well replace my console if it comes out nice and one of my concerns had been WTF I am gonna do with all these damn xlr and trs snakes.  I just cant go the dsub route.
Your builds look and always look slick.  Very pro.
So thanks ahead of time.

Oh and I have a ton (like 24 or so) of xlr's male and female so I am already good in that department.  I considered dsub and I really would like this to interface with anything anywhere.

I know i'm bumping an old thread here..
Anyway i'm really keen on building a mastering insert switcher like that as well. How much 'work' do i have to expect and is it possible to add a width-control in the style of manley/dangerous etc?  :)

cheers

Majestic12 said:
Hi,

the schematics and documentation will soon be available on Waynes website.

I usually use relais from Takamisawa or Omron.

Power supply pcb is from JLM audio.
any news ?
(about pcb,schematics,etc…)
thanks

Hi,

I'm also interested in building a mastering switch like that using Majestic12 pcb.
I'd like to add a blend control as i see in post #6, do you have a schematic or info for it ??

thanks

john12ax7 said:
Is there a part number for the lighted push-button switches?

I don't know which push-button switches he used for his projects, but i used these (different colors available)  :

https://www.ebay.it/itm/2PCS-Cutout-12MM-12V-Red-LED-ILLUMINATED-Square-Maintained-PUSH-BUTTON-5-PINS/172555462945?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

weiss said:
I know i'm bumping an old thread here..
Anyway i'm really keen on building a mastering insert switcher like that as well. How much 'work' do i have to expect and is it possible to add a width-control in the style of manley/dangerous etc?  :)

cheers

take a look at this :

http://www.ka-electronics.com/kaelectronics/LRS_Width/LRS_Width.htm

Latest posts

Back