Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
Thank you.  I was beginning to suspect that was the easiest method after letting it roll around in my head for a few days.
Cheers
Dylan

Hello!  In the process of ordering a couple u87 builds. 

Quickly, the following item from Mouser is unavailable:

71-CCF07-G-56K

Mfr. #: CCF0756K0GKR36
Manufacturer: Vishay
Desc.: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4watt 56Kohms 2% Rated to 1/2watt

There is a similar item listed off to the side of this item.  Will this suggested replacement be acceptable or is there something better? 

Mouser Part #:
71-CCF0756K0GKE36
Manufacturer Part #:
CCF0756K0GKE36
Manufacturer:
Vishay / Dale
Description: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4watt 56Kohms 2% 100ppm

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=71-CCF0756K0GKE36&bdprt=1&projectguid=10C37037-690F-4708-B9A0-ECC20B51A5B3&projectid=30061427

Thank you!

Andrew

drew571 said:
Hello!  In the process of ordering a couple u87 builds. 

Quickly, the following item from Mouser is unavailable:

71-CCF07-G-56K

Mfr. #: CCF0756K0GKR36
Manufacturer: Vishay
Desc.: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4watt 56Kohms 2% Rated to 1/2watt

There is a similar item listed off to the side of this item.  Will this suggested replacement be acceptable or is there something better? 

Mouser Part #:
71-CCF0756K0GKE36
Manufacturer Part #:
CCF0756K0GKE36
Manufacturer:
Vishay / Dale
Description: Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4watt 56Kohms 2% 100ppm

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=71-CCF0756K0GKE36&bdprt=1&projectguid=10C37037-690F-4708-B9A0-ECC20B51A5B3&projectid=30061427

Thank you!

Andrew

Yep That  will do fine ,
Best,
dAn,

Hi guys,

I am in the process of putting one of these together at the minute, I am getting pretty close but now I have to attach the capsule I am using the peluso k87i, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect the backplanes. I have looked at everything I could find referencing it but there isnt much and I am still confused, so if anyone with experience of these capsules can provide any help it would be much appriciated

dreadheaded said:
Hi guys,

I am in the process of putting one of these together at the minute, I am getting pretty close but now I have to attach the capsule I am using the peluso k87i, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect the backplanes. I have looked at everything I could find referencing it but there isnt much and I am still confused, so if anyone with experience of these capsules can provide any help it would be much appriciated

look at page 1 of this thread there is actually a picture with a K87i from Peluso , and other picture that wil help,
best,
dAN,

poctop said:
capsule connection the  Proper Way to make sure front is front and back is back:
KRg8txym
  Side A
h4EMKosd
Side B
77lRYwnR

This is on the 1st post of this thread

Dave

yea to be honest that confused me even more but I did find a picture that makes it more clear thanks later on in this post

for referenceits here: groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48030.msg661719;topicseen#msg661719

TSKGuy's PM inbox is full, how do I order/buy a capsule for a U87 from him?
I have $250 with TSKGuy's name on it, could someone let him know.

I tried messaging chunger, but his PM is full, and I didn't see answers to these questions in the thread, so:

I purchased a pair of SYT5 bodies from chunger recently. They did not come with the screws (4 per mic?) that secure the PCBs to the chassis. Does anyone happen to know the specification (i.e., thread) for these holes so I can obtain screws to mount (Dany's) PCBs in the mics?

Also, (more of a curiosity): on the AMI T13 transformer, I was suspecting the issue with the reversed wiring on the primary/secondary was resolved as the issue seemed to happen over a year ago but it appears the one I bought recently (last month) from chunger also has this same issue (black leads have ~442 ohms, yellow leads have ~25 ohms). Is AMI still building the transformers with the swapped wiring or was the one I bought part of old stock?

Otherwise, thanks for the service and products!

Chris

One more question: I bought Eric's (tskguy's) K87 capsule to use with chunger's SYT-5 body. Eric included a capsule mount with his capsule. Is it recommended to use his or the stock one that came with the SYT-5? I ask because it doesn't look like the holes line up on the SYT-5 top plate with the mount Eric provided. Of course, I can drill the SYT-5 top plate for Eric's capsule mount, but I was wondering: if there's no benefit in using Eric's mount with his capsule, I could avoid drilling and get on with finishing just with the stock SYT-5 mount...

Cheers,
Chris

Hey guys...  Just built and biased mine...

However I think the mic is super quiet, i have the ami transformer.. I know of the backwards wire issue but I'm confused.......

My blacks are the 440R (roughly)
My yellows are the 20R

How should I be hooking this up?

Neily said:
My yellows are the 20R

For the "reversed" AMI T13:

Reply 1338:

It should be black wires on the capsule side and yellow on the XLR side!

Reply 1884:

the yellow leads go to xlr side.

thank you...

Does the order of the yellow compared to the other yellow and the black to the other black matter?

fazeka said:
Neily said:
My yellows are the 20R

For the "reversed" AMI T13:

Reply 1338:

It should be black wires on the capsule side and yellow on the XLR side!

Reply 1884:

the yellow leads go to xlr side.

fazeka said:
I purchased a pair of SYT5 bodies from chunger recently. They did not come with the screws (4 per mic?) that secure the PCBs to the chassis. Does anyone happen to know the specification (i.e., thread) for these holes so I can obtain screws to mount (Dany's) PCBs in the mics?

I measured them at 1.6mm

dreadheaded said:
fazeka said:

I measured them at 1.6mm

M1.6 thread pitch? Nice! =) Thank you, much appreciated. Unless I was the only one receiving the latest batch of SYT-5 bodies without PCB chassis screws, I think others will find this information useful.

Thank you!

Yes m1.6, and I had exactly the same problem, I have ordered 200 m1.6's now because it was the only place I could find them, otherwise I was cannibalizing an old hard drive for them to temporarily hold my first one together!! :p

Latest posts

Back