Obamacare and rate increases - report your results here

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hodad said:
Obamacare as pro-business:  First and foremost, it isn't single payer.  There are still private health insurers, and they have more customers due to the ACA. 

I also think that more folks might be willing to take risks starting new businesses (rather than hanging onto a job with good benefits but possibly little else to offer) if they know they can afford health coverage through a lean year or two as they get the business running.  As JR pointed out above, small businesses create jobs.  Though it's not a certainty yet, I think there's potential for Obamacare to contribute to an uptick in small business startups.

I love the "job-lock" argument!  These talking points are spears slaying the talkers.  People got their hours reduced or cut completely yet it is a GOOD thing!  Next? So you mean that PPACA is MORE pro-business than the suckier single provider, but the other side is that it is LESS pro-business than opening-up the insurance markets.  That is the whole problem- Big government is tripling-down on the laws regarding the marketplace of insurance and medical care.  The regulations heaped upon the insurance industry have caused consolidation down to some "too big to fail" companies, and made it monumentally difficult to enter as a new provider.  My lost Mutual of Omaha affordable MM coverage in the 90's is proof of that.  Big Health Insurance lobbied NYS politicians create legislation that mandated, mandated, mandated that all insurers provide prescription coverage for their insured.  That is like mandating, mandating, mandating that insurance companies provide oil change and tire coverage for their auto insurance customers.

Less is more, except when you think that your big government bills are going to "stick it" to big eeevil business.  But the opposite results.  Look at how Dudd-Wank stuck it to those greedy bankers (actual codes STILL being written into the law books!):  it created a fixed group of too-big to fail'ers, and the increased regulation costs got passed to US in the form of higher fees, higher balance requirements, etc.  That is the unwritten part of proglaw.  They call it the "Helping People With Stuff" bill but it also has a "Stick It To Rich Businesses" byline.  But the unintended opposite actually happens.  So then it's time for even MORE Helping People bills.

Take Keith, he despises tax accountants, yet the multitude of legislators and their laws that he supports create the labyrinth of laws resulting in the need said accountants to maximize return from a business, or just a family trying to keep more of the weekly paychecks.  The accountants did not create themselves!  Building a revenue code, in the USA in the tens of thousands of pages, created them who lobby the pols to create more code.  Get the sequence correct here, "folks".

I would think that more folks might be willing to take risks starting new businesses if there were fewer regulations [/44 impersonation].  I know that personally because I like working in RF and audio, and it currently costs me over $20K to submit a product to the FCC for approval.  That price is prohibitive so I don't even get past the approval to then "take a risk". 

Mike

hodad said:
Obamacare as pro-business:  First and foremost, it isn't single payer.  There are still private health insurers, and they have more customers due to the ACA. 
Early reports are that first quarter health care costs are ticking up because most of the "new" insurance customers are older, not the young invincibles that they wanted something like 40% to defray the cost of the older more expensive customers, early reports are more like 28%, and the best estimates are that only 80% have paid for this coverage. The worst estimates are worse.

I also think that more folks might be willing to take risks starting new businesses (rather than hanging onto a job with good benefits but possibly little else to offer) if they know they can afford health coverage through a lean year or two as they get the business running.  As JR pointed out above, small businesses create jobs.  Though it's not a certainty yet, I think there's potential for Obamacare to contribute to an uptick in small business startups.
If you feel so good about the business future that you want to start a business, go for it.  ;D

JR

PS: OK my new thought for the day... There are lots of doctors quitting their practices prematurely over their disgust about ACA. Maybe they should run for office. Who would be better to reform healthcare than ex-healthcare professionals? Doctors who ran their own practices would understand some of the business aspects too.

I'm just dumbfounded how we got okeydoked under the guise of affordable health care for this "insurance bill"

It's an insurance law, it's not about your healthcare.

Me and a friend were discussing the shift of labor overseas and have found that some ~5% of the equation is "labor".  Migrating and implementing factory operations to pinch at 5%? ...I feel it's not so much about the cheap labor as it is about the overall expense of doing business in the USA.

MicDaddy said:
I'm just dumbfounded how we got okeydoked under the guise of affordable health care for this "insurance bill"
Some people have been predicting a bad outcome for years (me), but we were dismissed as either partisan or even racist.
It's an insurance law, it's not about your healthcare.
Yup, big government crony capitalism at it's worst.
Me and a friend were discussing the shift of labor overseas and have found that some ~5% of the equation is "labor".  Migrating and implementing factory operations to pinch at 5%? ...I feel it's not so much about the cheap labor as it is about the overall expense of doing business in the USA.
The manufacturing advantage of building goods in China is declining (only a few % now). There is less and less labor content in modern manufacturing. As China tries to shift to a consumption driven economy all cost advantage could evaporate.

While people complain about the loss of factory jobs, "low paying" factory jobs do not keep the population happy either. High paying unskilled factory jobs are an artifact of one or more local market distortions, like sweetheart (strong) union contracts, and protective tariffs like the US auto industry enjoyed for many decades that prevented free market competition. Ask Detroit how that worked out long term? I expect some think bringing back tariffs is a solution and not what caused the problem. (I repeat my suggestion to read the Wealth of Nations on the subject of trade. )

I saw a piece in yesterdays newspaper about how homebuilders can not find enough skilled carpenters. THESE ARE NOT MINIMUM WAGE JOBS, and remain unfilled.

There is work for those willing to up their skill level, to take jobs that create value people want.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Early reports are that first quarter health care costs are ticking up because most of the "new" insurance customers are older, not the young invincibles that they wanted something like 40% to defray the cost of the older more expensive customers, early reports are more like 28%, and the best estimates are that only 80% have paid for this coverage. The worst estimates are worse.

I'm calling BS.  The actual reports say that signups are roughly what was predicted.  No, the percentages of young folks aren't huge, but they are on target with expectations. 

You & Mike need to work on diversifying your news sources.  Way too much propaganda in your arguments. 

hodad said:
JohnRoberts said:

I'm calling BS.  The actual reports say that signups are roughly what was predicted.  No, the percentages of young folks aren't huge, but they are on target with expectations. 
CBO estimate for total sign-ups was 7M reduced to 6M. They actually got over 8M so beat the top line number nominally.

I can't find a demographic projection for age but desirable 18-34 YO group that made up 41% of uninsured population only made up 28% of those who signed up so proportionately older demographic than the general population signed up. 

Even factoring for no-pays they hit their 6M target. The demographic of the group is not flat and I can not find a projection for what they expected. Lots of spin from both sides. 
You & Mike need to work on diversifying your news sources.  Way too much propaganda in your arguments.
The above stats were from Forbes.. I couldn't find clean CBO demographic data.

I generally read Wall street Journal for news and find their news writing less conservative than their opinion pages. But maybe i'm somewhere to the right of atilla the hun.  ;D

JR

hodad said:

Please enlighten me.  You, Keith, Joel, please set me straight.  I am not repeating talking points, YOU are.  I do not watch FeeVee.  Well, I see TV's on the wall at the gym so I guess I see channels but no sound.  I do not browse "neocon" websites or blogs.  I am looking at simple economics, and anecdotal experiences.  My non-tech spare time is spent studying history and economics past and present within the context of personal investing.  Have done for 37 years.

Saying something about how "folks might benefit from something" is indicative of video brainwashing propaganda if you ask me.  Give me proof and logic, not bromides and website links.  You guys are smart people and I respect your experiences so please tell me about how I am getting the sequence incorrect.  Show me that the true direction for "progress" is more government legislation because I see that the opposite is true.  History is proof.  I do not throw down with either party because they are, well, partying on government power.  The republicans proved it in 2006 when they controlled both houses of Congress and the presidency.

You all, if you have bank accounts and credit cards got new increased fee structures after Dudd-Wank was passed.  Prove me wrong there.  We all got it in the US.  It's not propaganda- the notices are filed in our filing cabinets.  My free paper statements stopped and I had to keep a $1500 balance to keep them coming.  Credit card fees and interest rates increased.  Did you people read the mail?

Show me the savings in extra back-office regulations.  Show me the value in charging someone pennies for something that costs hundreds of bucks.  Show me how if there were a simple "flat tax" code that we would still need tens of thousands of tax accountants.  It is simple economics that you guys practice every day, not propaganda.  But take it to a state and federal level you guys go the exact opposite of how you run your own lives and families.

Why?  This is serious, and not the time for sanctimonious silence.  We have progress to achieve.

This whole class warfare is a red herring. While not perfect 1:1 the highest incomes are earned by people creating the most wealth, they also create jobs as consequence of creating this wealth.

As a smoke and mirrors tactic used by the media often these days yes, agreed.  But what hodad alluded to is just a reality and I don't understand why every time someone mentions the lopsided ratio of top level CEO pay to avg worker pay it gets labeled as merely a hollow tactic.  Unless those numbers that keep showing up in the media are just plain lies, they point to the source of why it is and essentially always has been very difficult for the avg working person to earn enough to raise a family, own a house, afford insurance etc without getting into a debt so big that it amounts to being bankrupt.

You can not get blood from a stone, and forcing a Macdonalds to pay $10+ to menial workers, without the ability to raise the prices of the food enough to cover the extra cost, simply will not work. Instead we will see more automation and elimination of more of those jobs.

And the other option here is that the money to cover labor will come from the top tier taking home less personal pay . . . . and on that I would echo "You can not get blood from a stone"  :'(  It's the business model I'm attacking here.  It seems to be the same as it has always been - lions share for the top and barely enough for the bottom.  I do not agree that that is the only way to model a corporation but it's ingrained and it's worked for many a company so very hard to change. 

The stagnation is not caused by the concentration of wealth, but by anti-business policy in taxation and regulation, and even negative messaging. What business leader feels confident about the future and his costs.

Again, I'm seeing this as a reaction by corporations (who do have a choice) to keep things just as they are which is arguably a stagnation in itself.  Govt meddling is resented but so was employee activism.  Which is better or worse?  The bloody confrontations between striking laborers and corporate goons in the old days? or Stifling policies of today?  Very rarely it seems does either accomplish it's goals which is a better pay scale per job performed.  Improved economy?  I don't know but I do think people will spend it if they have it.  What other options are left?  IMO it's change the model or move back in the direction of trickle down and start removing the govt red tape.  If those printed ratios are correct we should be seeing plenty of trickle down money right now but apparently it;s not happening as it should. 

My grandparents worked most of their lives in a cotton mill and retired in the 70s with little more than the tiny mill village house to their name.  They never owned a car and grew most of their own food.  They were by and large vegetarians of circumstance - only because they could only afford to buy meat once a week.  In contrast several people I graduated with in the mid 80s went to work at that same mill doing the same jobs and live comparably good lives by any standard.  They were able to raise families and afford most any of the material things they wanted and put away savings without undue struggle and well above what my grandparents and others in that generation wound up with.  So what had changed?  It's a good question since the workers in my generation were there during the last era of the mill which closed its doors for good in the 90s.  My grandparents worked during the heyday when trickle down should have been highest in theory.  The only for sure thing is that the later generation workers were paid more relative to the cost of living of their time.  And, I doubt the mill deviated from the traditional model of all to the top and as little as possible to the bottom.

The biggest problem I have with the theory of Free Market competition is that it fails to account for the inevitable - which is that the forces of monopolization overtake the ideal - the nice model of having all these different corporations competing, unencumbered by govt meddling, for the benefit of all has the shadow of the shark forever looming over it's head.  A monopoly will get away with what it can and it probably will not be good for the avg worker. But, I don't think excessive regulation is the answer either.  At some point corporations will have to adopt a more global and humane minded model of running a business.  One that does not view even the most menial labor as disposable.  If they are good enough to be hired for the job then the job should be good enough to warrant paying a decent wage.  That would include cashiers in supermarkets and conv stores.  The stores can't operate without them and most of the workers can't pay their bills on what they're being paid to do them, not to mention what they have to put up with.  I think what is often failed to be realized is that something like a cashier's job is not exclusively a stepping stone filler job on the way to greater things after the college degree has been earned.  It will be a permanent bread winner for many for a variety of very good reasons.

In the mass idealism I hope we can see the day soon where the monikers reflect a different perspective than what we seem to be saddled with now.  I'm big on the literal meanings of words and phrases and how they often perfectly reflect the realities behind them.  "Job Creators" infers a minimal offering at best and is a phrase that is remarkable for it's omissions, rate of pay for one.  And the term actually doesn't imply any pay at all . . .. the dictionary definition clearly states either.  It's only an exercise in semantics and philosophy in the classroom - in the real world it's too many people not being paid enough for their work.  And should the Image Maintenance Think Tank people decide to shift it to a more comforting "Living Wage Job Creators"  . . . . .. nope.  Still comes up short on the omission of the definition of "Living".  Too wide a range there.  Maybe having to promote no moniker is best since it would imply that people are satisfied enough with the equality in their jobs that they don't need to be coaxed to the polls in hopes of changing things. 

lassoharp said:
This whole class warfare is a red herring. While not perfect 1:1 the highest incomes are earned by people creating the most wealth, they also create jobs as consequence of creating this wealth.

As a smoke and mirrors tactic used by the media often these days yes, agreed.  But what hodad alluded to is just a reality and I don't understand why every time someone mentions the lopsided ratio of top level CEO pay to avg worker pay it gets labeled as merely a hollow tactic. 
Generally because it is. Class warfare is used to create an "Us vs Them" mentality, to justify taking wealth to redistribute to those less wealthy. As I have mentioned before this is zero sum game thinking and wealth is not a fixed pie to divide up, but a dynamic quantity that we need to grow. I hate this old cliche but a rising tide lifting all boats is more true than not. Certainly a falling tide like we are still suffering (0.1% GDP growth is not helping anybody).

As has been pointed out before, you could take 100% of the wealth from the top few percent and that would not cover the entitlement largess already promised. Just like Willie Sutton robbed banks because that was where the money is, the government must tax the vast middle class for the same reason, that is where the wealth is. Who do you think is paying for the ACA train wreck, not the wealthy? 
Unless those numbers that keep showing up in the media are just plain lies, they point to the source of why it is and essentially always has been very difficult for the avg working person to earn enough to raise a family, own a house, afford insurance etc without getting into a debt so big that it amounts to being bankrupt.
Please amplify what exactly this explains? (As I've noted the current fed and administration has amplified the wealth differences, despite good(?) intentions).

There has always been disproportionate wealth. Even back in the cave man days somebody got the good spot in the cave and others slept outside. Great thinkers, smarter than me, have pondered this for as long as we were comfortable enough to think about such things Over history there have been numerous failed experiments that tried alternate methods to parcel out resources for the best effect and ALL have failed miserably. Look at Venezuela today, an oil rich nation that squanders that wealth believing that the central government can make economic decisions better than individuals. 
You can not get blood from a stone, and forcing a Macdonalds to pay $10+ to menial workers, without the ability to raise the prices of the food enough to cover the extra cost, simply will not work. Instead we will see more automation and elimination of more of those jobs.

And the other option here is that the money to cover labor will come from the top tier taking home less personal pay . . . . and on that I would echo "You can not get blood from a stone"  :'(  It's the business model I'm attacking here.  It seems to be the same as it has always been - lions share for the top and barely enough for the bottom.  I do not agree that that is the only way to model a corporation but it's ingrained and it's worked for many a company so very hard to change. 
You are free to operate your corporation any way you choose, but again history has studied numerous variants on corporate structure. (Harvard business school has done case studies for decades). To get the best effort from employees they are motivated by a sense of cause and effect. Their compensation is related to their effort/results. Note: this can cause problems in some areas, like the way some wall street deal makers were rewarded in real time for making big deals, but not punished with claw backs for the deals that crashed years later. Connecting these dots is required to damp excessive risk taking, when there is not negative feedback for bad deals.

Top executives are highly paid because it is not a linear job, but their leadership is a force multiplied where they can inspire an entire workforce, or drive the bus into a ditch. The most successful top earned demonstrate over time their ability to create wealth, for stock holder who own the company. Of course there are always numerous examples of overpaid business leaders, just like there are overpaid athletes and actors. If you want XYZ to run your company you must pay the market price of live with lesser results. The artificial constraints that there should be some finite ratio between highest paid and lowest paid worker is arbitrary and not based on maximizing wealth creation. 
The stagnation is not caused by the concentration of wealth, but by anti-business policy in taxation and regulation, and even negative messaging. What business leader feels confident about the future and his costs.

Again, I'm seeing this as a reaction by corporations (who do have a choice) to keep things just as they are which is arguably a stagnation in itself.  Govt meddling is resented but so was employee activism.  Which is better or worse?  The bloody confrontations between striking laborers and corporate goons in the old days? or Stifling policies of today?  Very rarely it seems does either accomplish it's goals which is a better pay scale per job performed.
I have tried to say this before.. Government can not mandate an economic result by force. Again Cuba or Venezuela are examples for that. To increase workers compensation we must enable them to create more wealth. Gone are the days when mindless factory work could enjoy a fat paycheck. The world is getting flatter and we must now compete internationally. Despite the poor business environment skilled jobs still go unfilled.

If the government really wants to help, provide more targeted training and instruction, not more money to sit around and do nothing. Paying people to not works, does not incentivize people to work.
Improved economy?  I don't know but I do think people will spend it if they have it.  What other options are left?  IMO it's change the model or move back in the direction of trickle down and start removing the govt red tape.  If those printed ratios are correct we should be seeing plenty of trickle down money right now but apparently it;s not happening as it should. 
The recent interest rate manipulations (and quantitative easing ) have generated great wealth "valuation" increases on paper (real estate, stocks, and assets) but not creation of actual new wealth. Of course we are digging out a deep hole created by too easy credit bubble that collapsed in 07-08. 
My grandparents worked most of their lives in a cotton mill and retired in the 70s with little more than the tiny mill village house to their name.  They never owned a car and grew most of their own food.  They were by and large vegetarians of circumstance - only because they could only afford to buy meat once a week.  In contrast several people I graduated with in the mid 80s went to work at that same mill doing the same jobs and live comparably good lives by any standard.  They were able to raise families and afford most any of the material things they wanted and put away savings without undue struggle and well above what my grandparents and others in that generation wound up with.  So what had changed?  It's a good question since the workers in my generation were there during the last era of the mill which closed its doors for good in the 90s.  My grandparents worked during the heyday when trickle down should have been highest in theory.  The only for sure thing is that the later generation workers were paid more relative to the cost of living of their time.  And, I doubt the mill deviated from the traditional model of all to the top and as little as possible to the bottom.
Sorry I have no idea about that particular dynamic.
The biggest problem I have with the theory of Free Market competition is that it fails to account for the inevitable - which is that the forces of monopolization overtake the ideal - the nice model of having all these different corporations competing, unencumbered by govt meddling, for the benefit of all has the shadow of the shark forever looming over it's head. 
Just to be clear, free markets are arguably the optimal way to allocate resources for best result. The market manages scarce resources by raising the price and encouraging investment to find more. $100/brrl oil has caused huge increased in pursuit of more, that $20 oil would not. 
A monopoly will get away with what it can and it probably will not be good for the avg worker. But, I don't think excessive regulation is the answer either.
Capitalism is IMO the best model, but far from perfect. We need some regulation and government oversight to prevent the excesses of capitalism that will try to suppress competition. Despite the anti-business climate from the current administration, their trust-busting efforts seem mixed. They have allowed consolidation in the airline industry that has reduced competition. In a Casablanca "I'm shocked" moment, we are discovering that the large silicon valley employers cut back room deals to not poach each other's talent. This reduced pay and opportunity for the silicon valley workers actually creating the wealth. They don't need a union but those companies need to get spanked for illegal behavior.

Regulators are not smart enough to manage routine business decisions but they should at least be able to find the larger rats in the wood pile. I am still unhappy about the apparent lack of regulatory movement related to high speed trading. While front running large trades may seem victimless, it saps wealth from large mutual funds often handling retiree money. Smart money has found ways to mitigate the high frequency advantage, but it still goes on.

Regulators need to be smart (smarter than they are) and operate with a light hand.. not force armed confrontations with citizens  over civil matters. 
At some point corporations will have to adopt a more global and humane minded model of running a business.  One that does not view even the most menial labor as disposable.  If they are good enough to be hired for the job then the job should be good enough to warrant paying a decent wage.
How good must they be to work as a door greeter at Walmart? Pay should reflect value creation from that work effort. 
That would include cashiers in supermarkets and conv stores.  The stores can't operate without them and most of the workers can't pay their bills on what they're being paid to do them, not to mention what they have to put up with.  I think what is often failed to be realized is that something like a cashier's job is not exclusively a stepping stone filler job on the way to greater things after the college degree has been earned.  It will be a permanent bread winner for many for a variety of very good reasons.
Which is why we see more and more self check-out stations. 

We cannot mandate an outcome, we must instead look at ways to make the entire pie larger.
In the mass idealism I hope we can see the day soon where the monikers reflect a different perspective than what we seem to be saddled with now.  I'm big on the literal meanings of words and phrases and how they often perfectly reflect the realities behind them.  "Job Creators" infers a minimal offering at best and is a phrase that is remarkable for it's omissions,
The more important nomination is "wealth creators", job creation is a euphonious side effect. Make-work Job creation for the sake of just generating more jobs, was practiced during the depression by the government, and a lesser evil than paying people to do nothing (like today) but not a solution.
rate of pay for one.  And the term actually doesn't imply any pay at all . . .. the dictionary definition clearly states either.  It's only an exercise in semantics and philosophy in the classroom - in the real world it's too many people not being paid enough for their work. 
Again, if people are not adequately compensated for the wealth they create, create that wealth elsewhere, or by themselves. People do not earn payment because they need it, payment should reflect wealth creation or it is unsustainable..
And should the Image Maintenance Think Tank people decide to shift it to a more comforting "Living Wage Job Creators"  . . . . .. nope.  Still comes up short on the omission of the definition of "Living".  Too wide a range there.  Maybe having to promote no moniker is best since it would imply that people are satisfied enough with the equality in their jobs that they don't need to be coaxed to the polls in hopes of changing things.
This belief that government can make everything better, is used by politicians to win office. I am inclined to repeat, look around. How much better are we than a year ago or two or 4? The good news is the new jobs was decent in this months report but labor participation is still weak.

If we keep doing what we are doing, we will keep getting what we are getting.

JR

A link to a column by that Nobel Prize-winning idiot Paul  Krugman:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/opinion/krugman-inventing-a-failure.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=1

The big reason I link is that it has numerous links to debunk various GOP attacks on Obamacare.  Rather apropos to what we've been talking about here. 

JohnRoberts said:
This belief that government can make everything better, is used by politicians to win office.
JR

So, apparently, is the belief that govt. makes everything worse.  Perhaps more so in this day and age. 

hodad said:
A link to a column by that Nobel Prize-winning idiot Paul  Krugman:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/opinion/krugman-inventing-a-failure.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=1

The big reason I link is that it has numerous links to debunk various GOP attacks on Obamacare.  Rather apropos to what we've been talking about here. 
I didn't call him an idiot (you did), but he does have a bias and serves as a major apologist for the left. The NYT likewise has an editorial bias.

They cite that the age demographic has "improved", while citing similar numbers to what I did and ignoring that it does not mirror the full population of un-insured. ( I did not read every link word for word.. just the headlines and abstracts).

It is far too early to declare success or failure. We will find out soon enough what the insurance companies think when they start announcing 2015 rates based on current period experience.
JohnRoberts said:
This belief that government can make everything better, is used by politicians to win office.
JR

So, apparently, is the belief that govt. makes everything worse.  Perhaps more so in this day and age.
Yes, pretty much... "That government is best which governs least." (attributed to Jefferson, or Thoreau, but may be older).

I do not want medical care to resemble the post office. It needs real reform not a sweetheart crony capitalism deal with big insurance.

Time will prove one of us correct.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I do not want medical care to resemble the post office. It needs real reform not a sweetheart crony capitalism deal with big insurance.
JR

These two things are pretty much mutually exclusive--the PO (which, for all its flaws, I kind of like) is not sweetheart crony capitalism.  And I'm not fond of the crony capitalism aspect of the ACA, but it wasn't happening without it.  Big insurance won't go broke from the ACA, but they're actually restricted from being as sleazy as insurance companies usually are, so that's a small something. 

As I said about the numbers before, the projections were that initial enrollment of youngster would be a bit low, but the numbers are meeting expectations.  And that means whatever  cost projections are connected to these expectations shouldn't be too far off. 

re selling people on all govt. being bad.  A quote from the Krugman article that is to my point:  "So Republicans are spreading disinformation about health reform because it works, and because they can — there is no sign that they pay any political price when their accusations are proved false." 

To mint a clause:  There's lies, damned lies...and the modern-day Republican Party. 

Also, I think calling Krugman a left-wing apologist is rather dismissive--I strongly suspect you've paid little attention to him or his writings.  He's been more right about more things (of an economic nature) than any columnist I can think of.  And when he's wrong, he's also far more likely to admit it than any columnist I can think of. 

hodad said:
JohnRoberts said:
JR

These two things are pretty much mutually exclusive--the PO (which, for all its flaws, I kind of like) is not sweetheart crony capitalism.  And I'm not fond of the crony capitalism aspect of the ACA, but it wasn't happening without it.  Big insurance won't go broke from the ACA, but they're actually restricted from being as sleazy as insurance companies usually are, so that's a small something. 

As I said about the numbers before, the projections were that initial enrollment of youngster would be a bit low, but the numbers are meeting expectations.  And that means whatever  cost projections are connected to these expectations shouldn't be too far off. 

re selling people on all govt. being bad.  A quote from the Krugman article that is to my point:  "So Republicans are spreading disinformation about health reform because it works, and because they can — there is no sign that they pay any political price when their accusations are proved false." 

To mint a clause:  There's lies, damned lies...and the modern-day Republican Party. 

Also, I think calling Krugman a left-wing apologist is rather dismissive--I strongly suspect you've paid little attention to him or his writings.  He's been more right about more things (of an economic nature) than any columnist I can think of.  And when he's wrong, he's also far more likely to admit it than any columnist I can think of.
While Krugman is pretty high profile I mainly hear about his positions second hand. Like I said I stopped reading the NYT back in the '70s.

I prefer to deal in facts when they can be determined and not get down in the mud with typical political character assignation.

The current administration seems to play fast and loose with the truth regarding the ACA. I won't repeat the most high profile misstatements in the record, or link to one of the sundry lists. I don't like seeing it either, and which side lies most is not the point. 

The question is will ACA be sustainable or fall far short of revenue requiring more tax dollars? This is yet to be determined. My opinion should be well known by now.

JR

PS: Speaking of politicians and truth the recent revelations about the Benghazi misinformation campaign is timely. Memo's declared top secret after the fact, and redacted when requested by congressional investigations is not a sign of truth seeking. While many still maintain there is nothing wrong.  I will not pretend there is not a political component to this, this is all about politics trumping good governance. I expect more from our leaders from either party. Hillary is in the middle of this and that probably fuels some of the republican energy behind this. Up until the recent FOI memo disclosure Boehner had resisted pursuing this. Now they have a smoking gun, and more questions so he may start a higher level  investigation.

I expect Hillary to try to pin it completely on Obama's people if she can. Again I really don't enjoy the ugly business of politics, like this.. healthcare should be bigger than party politics.

JohnRoberts said:
I prefer to deal in facts when they can be determined and not get down in the mud with typical political character assignation.

Got it.  You're opposed to assignations with political characters.
If you think Krugman is about political character assassination then you haven't read him. 

re Benghazi:  If I get it, the worst that can be said about the Obama admin is that they pretended that the attack was caused by reaction to a film for a couple of weeks after they likely knew this not to be true--and likely did so because it was close to an election. 

Let's see.  Nixon prolonged a war in Vietnam to get elected.  Reagan did the same with a hostage crisis.  And Bush used 9/11 until it was just about worn out. 

If you think the embassy should have been better protected to begin with, I've got some dead Marines in Lebanon and a Presidential Daily Brief from August 6, 2001 I'd like you to take note of. 

Benghazi is a molehill.  The GOP will stack any number of lies on top of insinuations on top of conspiracy theories to make it just as tall as they can.  But even with all that, it's still a molehill. 

No links. Paul Slugman!  He does not need to know how to run money because the machine gives him enough paid speeches and awards to keep him in lobster and Pinot Grigio.  He thinks that the fed should be doing at least twice the present QE. The best way to lose investment money is to follow his advice.  The perfect example of do as I say not as I do.
How do YOU reconcile the fact that you support policies that in the end cost you and your family, and that are the opposite of how you decide your own life. Paul Krugman is a character right out of an Ayn Rand novel. I care what you have to say, not him.

Mike

hodad said:
JohnRoberts said:

Got it.  You're opposed to assignations with political characters.
If you think Krugman is about political character assassination then you haven't read him. 
His job is to promote larger policy agendas. His claim a few years ago that solar power was already economical is wrong, and he is supposed to be a big time award winning economist.
re Benghazi:  If I get it, the worst that can be said about the Obama admin is that they pretended that the attack was caused by reaction to a film for a couple of weeks after they likely knew this not to be true--and likely did so because it was close to an election. 
That appears to be the "why" they did what they did, They were trumpeting that terrorism was beaten down and on the run. it sounds like they believed their own BS with lax security measures.

While the attack was going on they dragged their feet and did not mount a military response. (in fact still haven't nailed the bad actors).

I can almost forgive the lack of security alerts on the anniversary of 9/11.. the ambassador in Libya was known to be a cowboy and enjoyed hanging out with the real spooks at that other facility in Benghazi up the road from his compound.

The weak (no) response was not typical of how America should respond to a direct attack IMO.

Lying to the face of families of the soldiers who died trying to save the ambassadors life is pretty low even for politicians. 
Let's see.  Nixon prolonged a war in Vietnam to get elected.
Nixon drafted me, so I have no love for him. Viet nam was not a popular war pretty much started by Kennedy who broke the 1954 geneva agreement by sending 1,000 advisors into Viet Nam (secretly) in 1961. Back in the late '60s I worked with one of those green beret (advisors), before i was drafted in 1970. He was an EE and still suffered from malaria he contracted over there. 
Reagan did the same with a hostage crisis. 
Huh?? That conspiracy theory that Reagan blocked the hostage release, despite congressional investigations by both houses of congress never found any evidence. The Iranian hostage crisis happen under Carter (who Obama is making look good in retrospect). They released the hostages when Reagan got elected. Are you claiming that Reagan had more influence with Iran than President Carter, before he was even elected? Suggesting that Iran actually wanted Reagan for president is nonsense. 
And Bush used 9/11 until it was just about worn out. 
9/11 was a tragedy no president hopes for. There are fair arguments about mismanagement of Iraq, especially the early years campaigns. I worry that we withdrew security from there too soon. The Iraqi security forces are having trouble today holding the ground against terrorists operating freely from Syria. 
If you think the embassy should have been better protected to begin with, I've got some dead Marines in Lebanon and a Presidential Daily Brief from August 6, 2001 I'd like you to take note of. 
I am still upset about the marine barracks bombing in lebanon, however in hindsight withdrawing and leaving Lebanon to Hezbollah to run, did not turn out well for the region, IMO.
===
I'm shocked...  Not exactly a secret that Alkaida wanted to attack us. They even attacked the WTC once before (with truck bombs). Clinton had a chance to take out OBL and blinked years earlier. He was not as willing as Obama to use drones and cruise missiles against terrorists.
Benghazi is a molehill.  The GOP will stack any number of lies on top of insinuations on top of conspiracy theories to make it just as tall as they can.  But even with all that, it's still a molehill.
Opinions vary and it would already be be a minor footnote if they handled it truthfully. Trotting out Susan Rice to push the partisan spin on Sunday news shows was patently political. If they were telling some truth that they were proud of, Hillary would have been doing the talking. 

Benghazi, is just another data point on the list of foreign policy mismanagement, and lack of veracity from this administration when it serves their interest to not be honest with the public.

But we were speaking about healthcare not conspiracy theories..

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Huh?? That conspiracy theory that Reagan blocked the hostage release, despite congressional investigations by both houses of congress never found any evidence. The Iranian hostage crisis happen under Carter (who Obama is making look good in retrospect). They released the hostages when Reagan got elected. Are you claiming that Reagan had more influence with Iran than President Carter, before he was even elected? Suggesting that Iran actually wanted Reagan for president is nonsense.

Bush, as you know, had been CIA director under Nixon.  I know there's no smoking gun proof, but it's hard to explain why Reagan the uber-patriot found it necessary to supply arms & military spares to our sworn enemy Iran--if it looks like treason, quacks like treason......

The depressing thing about Iraq & 9/11 is that Bush's monomaniacal pursuit of a war in Iraq--from day one of his administration--blindered him to repeated warnings about UBL & alqaida.  As an American, as a human being, it sickens me to think that had they not been so arrogant and so singular in focus, maybe (just maybe) 9/11/2001 would have been just another day. 

hodad said:
JohnRoberts said:

Bush, as you know, had been CIA director under Nixon.  I know there's no smoking gun proof, but it's hard to explain why Reagan the uber-patriot found it necessary to supply arms & military spares to our sworn enemy Iran--if it looks like treason, quacks like treason......
Bush senior was CIA director not Bush junior... Bush senior kicked Saddam's ass the first time around (Dessert storm/Gulf War). but stopped short of finishing him off.  I guess we could have let Saddam keep Kuwait... How would that turn out?
The depressing thing about Iraq & 9/11 is that Bush's monomaniacal pursuit of a war in Iraq--from day one of his administration--blindered him to repeated warnings about UBL & alqaida.  As an American, as a human being, it sickens me to think that had they not been so arrogant and so singular in focus, maybe (just maybe) 9/11/2001 would have been just another day.

Huh? Are you arguing that 9/11 was our fault?

Because of something we did , or things we didn't do?

Sorry I am having trouble following you. This exchange is depressing.

and this is not about healthcare.

JR

Back