Ohma World Microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

This is a finished product that started as a DIY project here at GDIY.

As I understand there are many users here whom contributed to it in a direct, or indirect way.

Disclaimer. I received this mic from @Scrappersa as appreciation for my help. He didn't ask me to do any kind of review, or post anything. He did agree with MY suggestion to post the findings.

I will do my best to stay unbiassed, but i have to say it's not easy. This thing is nicest looking, and most beautifully manufactured piece of gear i've ever touched, and probably even seen. No wonder, @Scrappersa is a jeweler, and this thing is a jewel for sure. The only thing missing is jewelry price. It is also a premium example of my stands on innovation, manufacturing, how things should be taken at least one step forward.

It has a modified Debenhalm capsule, and uses km84 circuit from what I understand. Sorry, there will be no internal pictures, I don't think I'll ever disassemble this mic. Start to finish made in USA. Not aware of any existing mic with this combo.

Once I saw the development images on Instagram, I was a bit uncertain about how the headbasket will influence the sound, there's a lot going on there. Surprisingly, the headbasket is pretty transparent, but it does add some character to the sound. Nothing crazy though, no crazy resonances. No idea if this was the intention, but as the grille is detachable, and swappable, different variations will impact the sound. So you don't get just the look variation, but also you get to change the sound character. The mic can also be used without the grille.

He also sent me a blank capsule without a diaphragm. I'll post the images of it later. I'll skin the capsule at some point and take a measurement of the capsule itself, outside the body. I'm not even going to try to remove the one that's inside the mic.

The mic has huge low end, and gentle HF boost. I'd say the low end is similar to a good CK12 capsule, but at the high end you get a lot of k47 characteristics pattern wise as they share similar backplate design. HF response is unique, and not similar to any capsule i am aware of. Kinda like a k67 in a well tuned circuit. The response is somewhat wavier than my usual measurements, but this is because i usually measure the capsules outside the body. This is perfectly normal. This is the response of the mic in it's stock form, with the grille removed it gets slightly different, but not much. Great 180 degree rejection even at high frequencies.

ohma.jpg

The green curve is without the grille.

ohma no grille.jpg

I almost forgot to mention, it sounds marvelous, and huge even at distance.

There are many images out there, I think video does a better job.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the manufacturers on the great review (above). Having visited the Ohma site, I'll make the (well-intended) observation that marketing seems to rely more on looks and less on sound quality. To be honest, sound quality is emphasized, but the vast array of different microphone "looks" are what stand out the most to me. And maybe that is where the market lies, but I wish pattern responses were given and better defined frequency response charts.

I don't want to make the mistake people did when Macintosh computers first came out and say they don't look like "serious" machines (microphones), but as an old-time recording engineer I am having a hard time taking them as seriously as I'd like. I'm hoping I'll regret that.

Congratulations to the manufacturers on the great review (above). Having visited the Ohma site, I'll make the (well-intended) observation that marketing seems to rely more on looks and less on sound quality. To be honest, sound quality is emphasized, but the vast array of different microphone "looks" are what stand out the most to me. And maybe that is where the market lies, but I wish pattern responses were given and better defined frequency response charts.

I don't want to make the mistake people did when Macintosh computers first came out and say they don't look like "serious" machines (microphones), but as an old-time recording engineer I am having a hard time taking them as seriously as I'd like. I'm hoping I'll regret that.
I was shaking while putting it on the stand for the test, and kept thinking: " Please don't suck, please dont suck..."

I know how much work went into this, and how much trouble just to get the capsule right. I am so thrilled and relieved at the same time that the mic performs as good as it looks.

Last edited:
I was shaking wlile putting it on the stand for the test, and kept thinking: " Please don't suck, please dont suck..."

I know how much work went into this, and how much trouble just to get the capsule right. I am so thrilled and relieved at the same time that the mic performs as good as it looks.
I can understand exactly how you felt. It's tough to review the work of people you know. Given that, I believe in your endorsement and am willing to view them as a professional tool. IMO it would help the "professional attitude" if the site had more emphasis on the tech specs as I mentioned (better frequency response charts and plotted polar patterns).

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the really nice comments @kingkorg and @Tim Campbell and @soliloqueen and @gyraf. We honestly could not have made this without you all. It would have been a much different sounding microphone and capsule. I can only imagine.

@Barry Hufker I appreciate your comments and it's something we're working on! It's only four of us on the team and we all have full time jobs outside of Ohma, so we're doing our best to get more audio and video released as quickly as possible. We're planning a new and updated website that will feature and emphasize many more sound examples. If you're curious about hearing the mic, we just released a "listening library" with lots of different audio sources including vocals, guitar, bass, etc.. Soon there will be drums, woodwinds, brass, and other instruments. You can check it out here:

There's definitely been a lot of skeptics based on the look of the mic. I think any mic that looks odd and different in this industry is going to have some kind of reaction similar to this. Char, Nathan, and I experienced this back when we all worked at AEA so it's something we've always had to work to overcome.

We do have frequency responses and specs posted for the mics on our website without the screens from when we measured them in the Harmon anechoic chambers: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ions_page&utm_campaign=specifications_2023_v1

I'm really grateful for the community here and everything I've learned over the years. My first project was building a VP26. Then I made a DOAC. Then I built a 251 on a breadboard with @a soBer Newt and with one of Tim's capsules and I never looked back.

@Scrappersa You're kind of living one of my fantasies by creating an exciting new microphone. I did see the posted specs on the Ohma site, but I wish the FR response charts were better labeled. I'm having a hard time reconciling the chart on the site with Kingkorg's plot above.
I take it that the mics are cardioid (condenser) or bi-directional (ribbon). I would love to see that plotted.

Any 'criticisms' are meant in good faith with a positive attitude. I am eager to be supportive (and vocal in that support) but I just need to understand your product better. I do however wish you all the best of luck. It appears to me you've worked very hard to get to this point. And the vocal example in the posted video sounds really great.

@Barry Hufker I really do appreciate your comments and I'm glad you're interested enough to check out the sound examples and specs. I'm glad you dig the vocals.

We don't currently have access to large enough chamber with a turntable to get an accurate enough polar pattern. It's definitely something we'd like to have in the future. The ribbon is bi-directional and the condenser is fixed cardioid (for now!). These are listed in the specs but good point about it not being listed on the product page. It's now updated on the product pages too!

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the really nice comments @kingkorg and @Tim Campbell and @soliloqueen and @gyraf. We honestly could not have made this without you all. It would have been a much different sounding microphone and capsule. I can only imagine.

@Barry Hufker I appreciate your comments and it's something we're working on! It's only four of us on the team and we all have full time jobs outside of Ohma, so we're doing our best to get more audio and video released as quickly as possible. We're planning a new and updated website that will feature and emphasize many more sound examples. If you're curious about hearing the mic, we just released a "listening library" with lots of different audio sources including vocals, guitar, bass, etc.. Soon there will be drums, woodwinds, brass, and other instruments. You can check it out here:

There's definitely been a lot of skeptics based on the look of the mic. I think any mic that looks odd and different in this industry is going to have some kind of reaction similar to this. Char, Nathan, and I experienced this back when we all worked at AEA so it's something we've always had to work to overcome.

We do have frequency responses and specs posted for the mics on our website without the screens from when we measured them in the Harmon anechoic chambers: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ions_page&utm_campaign=specifications_2023_v1

I'm really grateful for the community here and everything I've learned over the years. My first project was building a VP26. Then I made a DOAC. Then I built a 251 on a breadboard with @a soBer Newt and with one of Tim's capsules and I never looked back.

I love the look personally. The only reason I haven't picked one up is I'm not in the market for a single pattern LDC right now. I will say I can see how the looks would make some people skeptical, I actually found out about your mics when I was looking for DIY bodies, and my first thought was "beautiful body but probably another funky looking electret" cause we're seeing so many weird looking mics on Amazon and AliExpress that are (crappy) electrets from China.
and the condenser is fixed cardioid (for now!)
Oooh now I'm interested.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a dual diaphragm version of that capsule if they're ever sold privately for DIY.
This is a finished product that started as a DIY project here at GDIY.

As I understand there are many users here whom contributed to it in a direct, or indirect way.

Disclaimer. I received this mic from @Scrappersa as appreciation for my help. He didn't ask me to do any kind of review, or post anything. He did agree with MY suggestion to post the findings.

I will do my best to stay unbiassed, but i have to say it's not easy. This thing is nicest looking, and most beautifully manufactured piece of gear i've ever touched, and probably even seen. No wonder, @Scrappersa is a jeweler, and this thing is a jewel for sure. The only thing missing is jewelry price. It is also a premium example of my stands on innovation, manufacturing, how things should be taken at least one step forward.

It has a modified Debenhalm capsule, and uses km84 circuit from what I understand. Sorry, there will be no internal pictures, I don't think I'll ever disassemble this mic. Start to finish made in USA. Not aware of any existing mic with this combo.

Once I saw the development images on Instagram, I was a bit uncertain about how the headbasket will influence the sound, there's a lot going on there. Surprisingly, the headbasket is pretty transparent, but it does add some character to the sound. Nothing crazy though, no crazy resonances. No idea if this was the intention, but as the grille is detachable, and swappable, different variations will impact the sound. So you don't get just the look variation, but also you get to change the sound character. The mic can also be used without the grille.

He also sent me a blank capsule without a diaphragm. I'll post the images of it later. I'll skin the capsule at some point and take a measurement of the capsule itself, outside the body. I'm not even going to try to remove the one that's inside the mic.

The mic has huge low end, and gentle HF boost. I'd say the low end is similar to a good CK12 capsule, but at the high end you get a lot of k47 characteristics pattern wise as they share similar backplate design. HF response is unique, and not similar to any capsule i am aware of. Kinda like a k67 in a well tuned circuit. The response is somewhat wavier than my usual measurements, but this is because i usually measure the capsules outside the body. This is perfectly normal. This is the response of the mic in it's stock form, with the grille removed it gets slightly different, but not much. Great 180 degree rejection even at high frequencies.

View attachment 113518

The green curve is without the grille.

View attachment 113519

I almost forgot to mention, it sounds marvelous, and huge even at distance.

There are many images out there, I think video does a better job.

Does that mesh around the capsule act as a Faraday cage? First time I'm seeing something like that inside of a large diaphragm condenser.

The headbasket area is a bit too tall IMO, but other than that I really love the look, especially now that I know it's not another crappy SDC electret like the crap all over AliExpress and eBay. I've definitely thought off designing my own bodies and using either wood or plastic to prototype, obviously with a metal grille, then maybe conductive tape inside to help shield it. Though these mics are doing almost exactly what I had planned (I would just shorten the headbasket quite a bit). I have no idea what specific capsule it is, but it's very much like what I was considering for my own design (I probably would've gone with a good Chinese edge terminated capsule to keep costs down). Can't wait for a multipattern version. One of the few indie mics I'm actually excited for.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a dual diaphragm version of that capsule if they're ever sold privately for DIY.

Does that mesh around the capsule act as a Faraday cage? First time I'm seeing something like that inside of a large diaphragm condenser.

The headbasket area is a bit too tall IMO, but other than that I really love the look, especially now that I know it's not another crappy SDC electret like the crap all over AliExpress and eBay. I've definitely thought off designing my own bodies and using either wood or plastic to prototype, obviously with a metal grille, then maybe conductive tape inside to help shield it. Though these mics are doing almost exactly what I had planned (I would just shorten the headbasket quite a bit). I have no idea what specific capsule it is, but it's very much like what I was considering for my own design (I probably would've gone with a good Chinese edge terminated capsule to keep costs down). Can't wait for a multipattern version. One of the few indie mics I'm actually excited for.
Yes the mesh is for shielding.

Back