physics of the cold solder joint?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting petro jelly in a patchbay is only adding a dirt magnet, no matter how discreetly applied.  And you have to maintain it every year?  What a waste of time!  Good thing you only had to do it for a few years.  The gear probably did not last much longer without a connector change.

We are obviously operating in different environments.  I do not need to put petro goo on bus bars.  It may be good for outside electrics closets and currents above an amp, but    it    has    no    place    in indoor studio electronic environments where there are all sorts of vintages of plastics.

Any application of petroleum jelly in a recording studio invites damage to delicate switches, switch caps, VU meters and LED displays.  It is simple chemistry.  I have replaced displays in Lexicon and Boss units because of bad applications of petro based lubes like vasalene or WD40.  I have re-switched Neve modules that have suffered the same fate.  The sleeves just melt in a petro environment.

Electricians have a great skill, tool, chem set, but it does NOT apply in recording studio electronics.  No studio need put any kind of petro OR other based lube in their mic panels or equipment connectors.  And certainly not their patchbays.  It is total hack behavior.

In the studio, you keep the vaseline only on the body.
Mike

Personnaly, i was taking that info as a Mc Gyver's solution, and one that i'll use in the future i'm sure...
I think that any type of "good" contact cleaner (electrolube,CRC etc....) will do its job just fine...
Never used Caig productw, seems a bit expensive, but their Gold concentrated product seem interesting where you might need some of that gold back on your contacts, Tube sockets or whatever....

On a side note, i think i read somewhere, that those expensive little quantity type of contact cleaner were maybe using Shark liver's oil for that "deoxiding" effect etc.... might be just snake oil... but if right then it's something you won't be talking too much about, especially these days...

Latest posts

Back