rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Martin,

I am very keen for the LA2A chassis. It's the hardest part for the build.

Could you please include adapters?

cheers

James

I'm thinking of hosting  a Facebook group for this build.  A closed group just for us involved in this group buy.  It would enable pictures, comments and free discussions.

My question, is there any interest with the majority of group buy members.?  It's less cumbersome than this group diy format.

Quayhog said:
I'm thinking of hosting  a Facebook group for this build.  A closed group just for us involved in this group buy.  It would enable pictures, comments and free discussions.

My question, is there any interest with the majority of group buy members.?  It's less cumbersome than this group diy format.

I may be old-fashioned but i have no account there  ;D

I just wrote a message to the IMS guy regarding the order. Who would be interested in a simple lamp holder socket? How many US buyers of the meter do we have?

btw if someone is looking for LA2A-Knobs, here you can get them: http://www.musikding.de/Chickenhead-round-black

weiss said:
Who would be interested in a simple lamp holder socket?

No thank you, I've already purchased the adjustable holder from that ebay seller Paul (Unit7) linked to in reply #70. Haven't received them yet, but I'll report on the quality once it arrives.

How many US buyers of the meter do we have?

2x for me! I won't have the money until tomorrow, and then it takes a day before I can paypal, but rainton can confirm that I'm good for it! Just send me a PM with instructions on what you and IMS want from us the buyers.

btw if someone is looking for LA2A-Knobs, here you can get them: http://www.musikding.de/Chickenhead-round-black

sweet! They're perfect, and the price is right. Do they ship to USA? The shipping page is in deutsch so I'm not sure they even ship outside of Europe :Os

If your buying knobs in the States Mouser is probably the go. These are the same as the ones posted earlier.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Davies-Molding/1919AE/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujFMiCl%252bkOsiWpGE2AVoeOAtM8SNw%252bM0Wc%3d

If I had a direct replacement for the A10 transformer, would it still fit or would I have to do some mods to the chassis.

Also, I think I accidentally unliked this post. Please disregard, as lately sleep has become a luxury for me.

Thanks!

Paul

I've assembled all of the special bits, T4Bx, HA-100x, SIFAM meter, A-24, power tranny on order from Heybour.  I ordered a blank plate to cover the HA100x so I could experiment with some octal line transformers that I've collected as spares over the years.

I've managed to collect a single Peerless 4665 that I'd like to try.  I also have a few spares of 4722 and other small Altecs, a variety of Dukanes and Berlant, Langevin (11 pins).  I'd like to experiment with some of these.  This is the DIY experimenter in me thinking.  Any thoughts from the collective?

Trouble is I have no instrumentation to actually measure results of experiments, only ears, notes and aging memory.

Are there any builders from the San Francisco Bay Area?  If so I'd like to be able to collaborate.  I have caddies full of tubes I'd give out to a local collaborator.
Jonathan.    Quayhog53 at gmail.    Search for jonathan a Horne on facebook

weiss said:
I just wrote a message to the IMS guy regarding the order.

Any updates on the meter GB? I'm ready to paypal you for 2x meters when you're ready. Or maybe everyone else has paid and I just never got the PM??  :-[

No worries!  You didn't miss anything. I am wondering why i didn't get any reply from them until now, i will contact them again in the morning.

weiss said:
No worries!  You didn't miss anything. I am wondering why i didn't get any reply from them until now, i will contact them again in the morning.

Awesome! Just checking. I was worried that I was the guy holding things up again :O)

Also, just to confirm, in Reply#93, I'm in for 2x meters.

Potato Cakes said:
If I had a direct replacement for the A10 transformer, would it still fit or would I have to do some mods to the chassis.

The chassis is designed for the UTC HA-100x on input. If you use a direct replacement for the A10 you would have to use an A10 adapter.

BTW: The chassis is in the works - it will take approx. 4 weeks. We had some problems with the manufacturer for the hinges, but everything is sorted out now and the hinges are in production, too.

The only thing that is still on hold at the moment is the front panel, because I want to make sure the screw hole for the lamp holder doesn't interfere with the bezel of the Sifam replacement meter. Since I have the original Beede meter in mine, I can't confirm - but unit7 can, so I'm waiting for him to get back to me. As soon as I have that information the front panel will go in production as well.

I'll keep you posted ;)

Unit7 said:
For a couple of Euros more here's an adjustable lamp holder:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miniature-Bayonet-Incandescent-Bulb-Holder-Ba9S-Base-Socket-for-47-Type-Lamps-/220907395726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336f1b5a8e

Both these seem a bit expensive, so I'm pretty sure you could get a better price for 10+, plus save some shipping

Paul

Got the lamp holder today. They are much better looking in person, not all corroded looking like in the auction photos. The solder tabs can rotate if you force them, but they're not loose. The spring for the tip(+) is stiff and feels durable. Overall, a little pricey at $10 ea., but I doubt you'll find a better part with all the right specs, adjustable, etc, for less. I like them!

I'm trying to post a photo but I'm getting an error. Will try again later.

Getting this when I try to upload a photo.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot access attachments upload path!

Anyone seen this before, or know what's causing it? I'm not doing anything different than I normally do to upload a pic.

If you do another run of these in about a year, I'll totally be down. Just keeping the interest alive! I'm curious to see everyone's builds!

What is everyone doing for transformers?  I talked a friend out of a Magnetika HA-100x and I bought it fo $200 right after I commited to a chassis purchase.  Today I was going through my acquired junk and I found an old Ampex 350 amp carcass. Lo and behold it has a UTC HA-100x as well as an HA-133.  I'm not sure which one I will use.  I haven't verified it doesn't have open coils.  I may have one to sell or trade.

I have an unused A-24 and I bought a new power transformer from Heybour.

Back