rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, it looks like uploads are working again. Here's a photo of the USD$10 lamp holders from the ebay seller in Michigan.

Attachments

• 34crop.JPG
    34crop.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 11
And here they are with some generic #47 bulbs installed that I found real cheap from a pinball/arcade repair vendor. These should do nice!

Attachments

• 35crop.JPG
    35crop.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 11
weiss said:
@hymentopera,: they look really nice, but i still couldn't find any european seller... :(

He ships just about anywhere, but I'm not sure what the cost would be.

I've contacted the seller and asked if he'd sell a larger quantity at a greatly discounted price, perhaps 20 or more at half price, so if they agree then maybe I can sell them all to you, or whoever wants to receive them, at no profit.

Hopefully they get back to me and agree to something reasonable. :)

DonnieDarko said:
Is there somewhere a BOM for this build? For the small components like resistors, pots, caps etc.?

You can find a BOM on recproaudio.com and a layout of the components.
Of course you can go crazy and source some vital components NOS to get even closer to the vintage sound ;)

Going crazy on components is what this is all about, ain´t it?

Gonna bake some Allen Bradley Milspec resistors.

rainton said:
DonnieDarko said:
Going crazy on components is what this is all about, ain´t it?

Gonna bake some Allen Bradley Milspec resistors.

I see you feel me Donnie!  ;D

Wait until you see the Pultec I'm working on... 8)

Haha, keep us up to date!

I know the guy who went crazy about the original Pultecs.
Now he owns the rights of "Pultec" and created 100% original reissues, custom build audio transformers etc…
"Pulse Techniques", if you interested ;)
Going crazy about stuff makes the difference! :)

What's everyone's opinion on NOS resistors? Does Allen  & Bradley really make a difference, or regular NOS carbon comp ok, as long as within 1% tolerance?

Le Roux said:
What's everyone's opinion on NOS resistors? Does Allen  & Bradley really make a difference, or regular NOS carbon comp ok, as long as within 1% tolerance?

The original resistors wouldn't have been any better than 5% tolerance, so I'm sure there's some wiggle room for actual measured values.

My personal experience has been that new old stock carbon comp resistors vary WILDY in actual measured resistance, with many having "aged-up" beyond nominal tolerance, often more than 10% high even for 5% parts. Most of the Allen Bradleys I've tested have been still in spec, while other brands tend to be more likely to be out of spec after all these years. The ones with the shiny coating (mil spec conformal coating??) seen to be the ones that haven't drifted at all. The ABs that I've seen that HAVE drifted high tend to be all cruddy with corroded leads, so I'm guessing they just haven't been stored properly. Just my experience, really. As with anything, take with a large grain of salt ;)

weiss said:
@hymentopera,: they look really nice, but i still couldn't find any european seller... :(

I trying to acquire a larger quantity of these, perhaps to be able to ship some of them to Rainton or to someone in Europe who could then ship them to rainton or to each individual buyer, but it looks like I'd need to find 20+ buyers to break even on the shipping, etc.

If we could get, lets say for instance, interest in about 15 units from people expecting a case from Rainton, then it would be worth my while to proceed with a GB on these lamp holders. What do y'all think?

If this sounds like something you guys would like to do then lets start a list of people who would be in for a lamp holder. It would probably be about $10 or €9 each, or there abouts, after I factor in the shipping. If it's much more than that I can probably just eat the difference myself.

Can we get interest in at least 15x lamp holders? All welcome, doesn't have to be just Europe. Who wants a lamp holder, and how many do you want?

great! i'd take one but i dunno if it pays off... i can't believe such a simple part is not available in europe :D
still no reply from Ike...

btw i updated post 93, forgot to calculate the import charges.. meters will be about 140-160€ but we will see..

Le Roux asked about Allen Bradley carbon comps.  I use them if I have them.  The last four amplifier builds I've used 1% metal films.  I find they are more stable and less noisy especially in plate load positions.

On another note, the  NE-2 lamp.  They're cheap but noisy. I have lots of NE-52 which is shaped like a regular #47 bayonet lamp.  Will these  work in the same function as a NE-2?  I also have a neon record lamp from an old Ampex recorder parts mule.  I'm just looking for alternatives from my existing stock.

Just a quick Friday morning bump.

Who would be interested in a lamp holder group buy? Same ones I posted pics of above. I need about 15 units to make this worth doing. I just wanted to ask again in case someone missed it the first time I asked. We can get a count first, and then take it from there.

Should be about $10 or €9 each, no more. Maybe less if I could get enough interest, or if I can negotiate a better deal with the vendor. I'm also willing to cover any additional expenses that may pop up. I'll even throw in a #47 bulb, no charge!

No immediate time limit for now. Let me know how many you will want. If you're in North America I will ship directly to you, you'll save a couple dollars on postage that way. Everyone else who's getting a chassis, I'm sure rainton wouldn't mind tossing them in the box, same way the meters are being done?? Is that cool rainton?

Post here, or PM me with quantity needed.

Unit7 said:
weiss said:
I still didn't  receive any reply from IMS, does somebody know why?
Odd.. Spammed perhaps? Did you try more than once?

i asked them one time about  a rough cost estimation and a second time 4 days after about the concrete shipping costs

Latest posts

Back