Reddish 500 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the US folks who are on my list should now have received a follow-up PM from me!

Everyone outside the US, I will be working on getting messages out to you tomorrow. For now, it's bedtime for me.

no chance of ordering PCBs anymore? I'am interested
Unfortunately the order window has closed. However, it is possible that there may be a few extra sets left over once it's all said and done. No guarantees, but I'll post an update in my black market thread at that time if there are any left.

Hi All,

I have received [that thing that changes hands that I can't talk about outside of the black market] for about 80% of the orders. I know a few of our builders don't necessarily log in or check their messages daily, so I imagine those folks will come through this week. Regardless, boards will go into production this Friday, and I'll keep you all updated on progress!

I have been overwhelmed (in a positive way) by the enthusiasm for this project. So many of you have sent me very kind personal notes, and I truly appreciate it, as this has been a much bigger undertaking than I ever anticipated. I know many are also champing at the bit to order components. My other task this week will be to get the BOM and build documents fully up to date with the various minor changes that have been made since the prototype version, at which point I'll share to the thread here. Please be as patient with me as you can (yes, I also receive the more agitated PMs, and while I understand the impatience, I do have a full time job and there is a limit to how fast I can get everything done here, especially if we want to minimize errors).

Looking forward to getting this into everyone's hands!

-J

I greatly appreciate that you have used the much better "champing at the bit" than the clearly inferior "chomping at the bit" to describe mine and other's excitement.
Also, thanks for all the work on this!

I greatly appreciate that you have used the much better "champing at the bit" than the clearly inferior "chomping at the bit" to describe mine and other's excitement.
Also, thanks for all the work on this!
My mother, a former copy editor, would have my hide if I used "chomping at the bit." 😅

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from the looks of it. This project needs two grayhill 71BDF30-02-1-AJS switches and according to octopart at the time of writing this there is only 13 available to purchase at the moment. https://octopart.com/search?q=71BDF30-02-1-AJS&currency=USD&specs=0
Someone will have to host a groupbuy. The current lead time is 9 weeks.

Attachments

• 67138-8885701749403e67caec32a233ba3a15.jpg
    67138-8885701749403e67caec32a233ba3a15.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
There should not be any DC present at those switches, as far as I'm aware, although perhaps someone else knows better. If that's the case, though, you should be safe on that front using the non-shorting, although yes, you'd expect the switching to be a little less seamless.

As previously mentioned, the 3 deck version can also be used as a drop-in substitute if it is more readily available. This situation is precisely why I designed the pcbs to work with either one. Grayhills are such nice switches, but the availability is so fickle.

I am offering a group buy of the Grayhill Series 71 3 deck, 1 pole, 12 position, fixed, shorting PCB pin version that will fit these boards. They are meant for a bunch of preamps that I am building but I will use some for this for this project as well. You can change the fixed versions to whatever step you want but it requires minor surgery. I posted a link to it in the group buy thread in the black market. Or, you can just use them as is and don't select the twelfth position and/or solder pins 11 and 12 together. I'm not doing the adjustable version for these as when you buy a large quantity the stickers and pins are all separate from the switches and it's a pain to keep track of them.

Thanks!

Paul

There should be no dc flowing in the filter circuits. If there is, clicking is caused by switching from the dc level in one part of the circuit to a different dc level in the adjacent one. Shorting contacts will not prevent this. If you do have dc getting into the filter section then the only way to prevent clicks is to make sure that every position of the switch has exactly the same dc potential. Back in the day at Neve this was achieved by wiring 4M7 resistors across adjacent contacts on the switch - probably not an option in this case.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for confirming, Ian! This was my understanding, but it's always good to hear it from someone more experienced.

The filter circuit is passive and as such is not drawing anything from the +/-16vdc rails -- in this unit, the DC rails are only used for relay switching and to power the OPA2134 in the make-up amplifier circuit. So here again, the non-shorting switches should be fine to use without producing the unwanted clicking, but be aware that I have not tested them myself.

Also, finishing touches were put on the BOM and schematic late last night. I'll do my best to get them posted later this evening when I get home from work.

Hi Everyone,

Board production seems to be coming along nicely.

In the meantime, I've attached a BOM and schematic to the first post in this thread. I've gone over it several times and it should be fully correct, but of course if we encounter any mistakes or omissions I'll update the docs as they are discovered. I've also added some build notes. I'm hoping I can find the time to create a proper build guide once I have a chance to put together another unit, but for now, those notes should be plenty to work from.

Lastly, I want to mention -- I have just one or two folks from outside the US who haven't sent payment yet. If I haven't received it by the time all non-US orders go to Kevin for distribution, you won't be able to take advantage of that significant cost savings on your shipping, so please bear that in mind!

Back