Rode NT1 Kit (the black one) Mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand Tim,
but based on your experience how will the hole affect the sound?
Well most always the hole will cause the membrane to short against the backplate. The backplate shouldn't be able to damp the membrane as effectively so might be more prone to plosives. It could change the resonant freq. of the membrane by relaxation

This is an example of m7 with and without hole in it. Please disregard bump in the low end on the green graph it is due to emi, the capsules were measured without grille.

Red is the one with a hole, strangely enough it is closer to what people expect to see from a vintage u47 than the red one which is the same capsule before i made the hole.

The reason is a lot vintage m7 u47s have a leak somewhere, new capsule should be pretty much flat. Thiersch also tunes them to flatest response possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-225117_TeamViewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-225117_TeamViewer.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 75
Red is the one with a hole, strangely enough it is closer to what people expect to see from a vintage u47 than the red one which is the same capsule before i made the hole.

Thanks for posting that,
so the hole makes an attenuation in the high end, I was expecting the opposite that the hole would make the capsule loose Low end

This is an example of m7 with and without hole in it. Please disregard bump in the low end on the green graph it is due to emi, the capsules were measured without grille.

The reason is a lot vintage m7 u47s have a leak somewhere, new capsule should be pretty much flat. Thiersch also tunes them to flatest response possible.
Well I was told that all M7 capsules have a hole in them from new if it's a Neumann or Gefell. I have examined a few and found there is a tiny hole (pin prick) right at the edge between where the gold dot stops and where the membrane ring begins. This is to equalize air pressure between internal and external air.

The capsule found in the black one is designed for the purpose of low noise performance, and is the flatest- read "warmest" of this kind. Any other would probably defy the purpose of the mic. K87 would be too bright, k47 might be an option if one goes for u47 type of vibe. Stock capsule is also better than any other after market edge terminated of same design i've ever seen. When i say better i mean great rear rejection, on/off axis response/noise... but one might still hate it. I don't, i love it. It's manufactured on Røde's new high precision gear which means any NT1 can be used as matched pair. Tim's CT12 would be an overkill, as it's dual membrane, and im not sure it would perform well with NT1's pol. voltage. Rode is also great with warranty policy, check if your mic is registered for extended warranty. The last time i had damaged capsules they sent me a brand new mic no questions asked.

There could be also other issues with that mic causing the signal drop. That piece of tape shouldn't affect the level.

Sure you can take the capsule rolling route, but i doubt you'll get those 2db back with any other capsule, simply because of the design.

The one that performs closest to the NT1's is capsule from 797 Audio, model CY032. It costs 50$ + shipping, and is the same exact capsule used in Slate ML1 mic.
I regret ever selling my Rode Tube Classic, lg scale diaphragm mic with the hefty external power supply box. A weaker moment for me. Much more fidelity than a U87, FET U47….. quicker too. Neuman had a lock on it for a long time. A legit white room in China is no different from a white room in South Africa, truth be known. Owning Neuman’s is eye catching for sure. There are others, many equal to…. Hitler pretty much stuck with the Neumans. Go figure.

Quick question, the NT1 frequency response of the electronics (not the capsule) is flat correct?

Trying to point to the differences between the capsules of NT1 and NT1a. The new one has clear spacer sticking out, visible around the capsule, and is sealed around with yellow tape. The old one has internal backplate knurled surface visible through the clear part. There is also a groove around the metal backplate on the new one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220319-195914_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220319-195914_Gallery.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220319_195944.jpg
    20220319_195944.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 40
Quick question, the NT1 frequency response of the electronics (not the capsule) is flat correct?

I always found the NT1 mics too sibilant, harsh and bright, not far from the characteristics I dislike in LDC Chinese mics.
So that's a characteristic of the Rode capsules and not from the circuits?

I always found the NT1 mics too sibilant, harsh and bright, not far from the characteristics I dislike in LDC Chinese mics.
So that's a characteristic of the Rode capsules and not from the circuits?
I certainly found the original (light coloured) NT1 quite 'bright', but the new HF6 capsule in the more recent 'black' NT1 (the one this thread is about) seems much better. The circuitry itself seems to be quite linear. Not even a pad or HPF.
Rode have even been 'brave' enough to compare it to a Neumann! :) ....

I certainly found the original (light coloured) NT1 quite 'bright', but the new HF6 capsule in the more recent 'black' NT1 (the one this thread is about) seems much better. The circuitry itself seems to be quite linear. Not even a pad or HPF.
Rode have even been 'brave' enough to compare it to a Neumann! :) ....

+1

I don’t think I ever tried a new one of the black series, only previous silver ones.
But any Rode LDC I tested up to this day have the same Sibilant/too bright characteristic that I don’t like, I have an NT1000 that is the same, the NT2000 also, even the tube NTK.
Its quite clear when comparing any of these mics with an U87 for example.

it’s something I came to associate then with the Rode sound, and have been avoiding Rods mics because of that.

if the new mics use a different capsule and don’t have this characteristic I thing it’s great

Why do you compare them to u87? Apples and oranges really. U87 has rolled off both lf and hf. Rodes have extended frequency range compared to u87. I could swear i read somewhere you liked using these mics. Why would you have so many otherwise?

This thread is about modding nt1. I don't see the point of perpetuating this rode sucks mentality without some concrete contribution. Or at least try to pinpoint what it is exactly you don't like about them. In technical terms.

I probably wouldn't react this way if you were not as strict about people hijacking your threads.

Rode capsules are perfectly fine as long as you know how to use them. They certainly didn't keep Adele and several others from winning Grammys.

If Randy Staub picks them for main vocals.... I don't hear any of that "chinese sound" on these two Nickelback records.

I would still love for someone to come with some more ideas about the circuit. Or whavever contribution for that matter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-230737_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-230737_Brave.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220422-231033_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-231033_Brave.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 13
Why do you compare them to u87?

Because for me personally the U87 is reference microphone, I know it very well.
Also because I think the U87 sounds very nice, and it's on the limit of being sibilant, so for my needs and personal taste I don't want more sibilant than that.
Also because the U87 sounds very well and better than any Rode mic I ever used.

I could swear i read somewhere you liked using these mics.

I certainly dislike them for vocals or any instrument with strong information above 5Khz.
I only use my Rode NT1000 for kick drum, Double Bass and Cello (on the F hole) and I like it for those duties were clean bass is needed and sibilance is not a problem.

The fact that I found a good duty for a mic I bough for cheap in second hand many years ago (it was the only thing I could afford when I was a student) doesn't mean I'm a fan of Rode mics

Why would you have so many otherwise?

I only said I have an NT1000, that's what I've said. it's the only Rode mic I have.
But I tried/used many Rode mics over the years, first in Audio Engineering school and then in my career over many different studios (normally the smaller more budget oriented places)

Or at least try to pinpoint what it is exactly you don't like about them. In technical terms.

I was very clear detailing what I don't like about the LDC Rode mics and what I've said it's pretty technical.
Sibilant and Sibilance are very well defined terms related to a specific frequency region, brightness also.
And harshness is pretty well self-explanatory.

I probably wouldn't react this way if you were not as strict about people hijacking your threads.

So you should really chill out and don't attack other people as I never to this day attacked you and was always very polite to you.

Also my posts were actually questions relevant to this thread so I could try to understand if the exaggerated Sibilance in Rode mics was related to the capsules used or the circuit design. You didn't seem to read my posts that well.

Anyway they didn't personally involve you and your opinions

Rode capsules are perfectly fine as long as you know how to use them.

I know how to use any microphone and actually people pay me to do that and I make a living out of Engineering.
The Rode mics I've tried simple don't sound good in vocals for my personal taste and I would never used them for that.

But as I said before, I never tried the new Black Rode NT1, I don't doubt you guys that it's better and I would like to try it out

If Randy Staub picks them for main vocals.... I don't hear any of that "chinese sound" on these two Nickelback records.

I don't know how those records sound at all as I never liked Nickelback, actually think they're terrible, so the last thing I will do is listen to them

Last edited:
Back