Recapping = massive improvement & a great fun!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookig forward to try other caps too!!!!!!!

Stephan, please also try the ELNA Starget capacitors. A little while ago I went cap hunting for my GSSL and I think they are very good. You can get them from RS components in Germany, although there is no german item description available. Do a search for "Starget"...

I would love to try the nichicon caps, but as already stated, they are not easily available.

cheers, Marten

[quote author="Esset"]I've got an old Alesis X2 mixer, buildt around 1995 never recapped. Examined the inside and have sourced the parts I need. Only got one question.[/quote]
If ever there was an example of wasted effort, this would have to be it. The difference in performance between 11-year-old capacitors and brand new capacitors will absolutely pale in comparison to the difference between your Alesis mixer and one worth putting signal through.
To put it another way - add up the value of the Nichicon caps you would buy to do the recap, and compare it to the value of the mixer. That should be enough argument right there. Now consider your time.
Replacing capacitors is an expensive, time consuming, laborious task intended to either repair a non-functional circuit or to squeeze the last bit of performance out of a valuable classic. In the case of your Alesis, exactly what is the point?

[quote author="martthie_08"]I would love to try the nichicon caps, but as already stated, they are not easily available.[/quote]
Digikey carries them. Here's their German website:
http://dkc1.digikey.com/de/digihome.html

[quote author="ulysses"]
If ever there was an example of wasted effort, this would have to be it. The difference in performance between 11-year-old capacitors and brand new capacitors will absolutely pale in comparison to the difference between your Alesis mixer and one worth putting signal through.
To put it another way - add up the value of the Nichicon caps you would buy to do the recap, and compare it to the value of the mixer. That should be enough argument right there. Now consider your time.
Replacing capacitors is an expensive, time consuming, laborious task intended to either repair a non-functional circuit or to squeeze the last bit of performance out of a valuable classic. In the case of your Alesis, exactly what is the point?[/quote]

Bought the mixer about a year and a half ago for $1500($7500 when it came out in 95), cost of caps would be $200.

The mixer is fully functional so the intet of recapping would be to squeeze the last bit of preformance out of it. Don't have a problem with how it sound right now but if it would be a markable difference (which I now doubt due to your comment) I thought it would be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back