Project recommendations for a small DIY home studio Q?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moccasin

Hello,
I have been lurking for a couple weeks now.
I have been doing DIY pedals for about 3yr, and I have built a couple of
amps [18watters]. I am putting together a small studio at my place for some side-project stuff. I am trying to keep with simple discrete DIY type circuits that sound decent, and have alot of character.

I will have access to a 2track from time to time, but will be mostly using a m-audio type interface for recording onto my computer to learn the ropes.

I am looking building a the h-tone fet pre, or add a transformer to this simple one here:
http://sound.westhost.com/project13.htm

I would like to use transformers that have some vibe, instead of the transparent type. I have access the the small line of Neutrik xformers, and would probably try out the Edcor ones too to hear how they color the sound?

How do these mic pre projects sound going into an analog to digital interface? Are the results worth my time? I just have 4 or 5 of the standard dynamic type mics. I ran across this simple looking DIY mic project: http://sound.westhost.com/project93.htm
If they sound ok I would eventually build myself a pair.

I am also considering the "tape-opto compressor" for it's simple design, and ease of use. I am just looking to build a few critical components to get my little studio going. I dont plan on using any of the digital effects whatsoever.

I am open to all suggestions and guidance, I just want to make sure I am headed in the right direction before I invest myself.

Any opinions are welcome here,
I am just starting to put together a mouser order.
thanks in advance,
RyanS

Hey don't throw away the digital effects, some of them are nice and add great color to the sound. Instead and to your arsenal with analog, and what you can't build analog, use its digital counter part. I am working on the jfet pre and di, not complete yet. I just finished the tape opto compressor, very transparent as far as I can tell. Also very subtle compressor, don't expect it to slap you in the face. You can build a low cost version of the G1176 to get some color. Also for low cost colorful mic pres you can never go wrong with the API 312 type. I am working on a couple of channels of these, they are about 90 percent done, waiting on iron. As soon as I complete these I will start on to more of them. Good luck in your DIY ventures. For a simple cheap mic pre, the green pre is always good. :grin:

Hey Ryan,

I love my Hamptone styled Pre. Fabio did a beautiful board layout based
?loosely? on the Jfet design that Scott offered up in Tape Op with some
minor adjustments, it is called the FETboy.

It is very simple to put together, relatively inexpensive, and sounds nice
and coloured in a musical sense.

There is a thread about it here: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=9537

I also like the Greens, but I wouldn?t called them coloured and they are not
discrete.

Cheers

Matt

Back