Can anyone help with Audix output transformer info, please?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Dear All,

I have just come across an Audix output transformer in a box of old junk. Same tranny for both IB01 and 33102, iirc. I have just tried it with API-type mic-pre, and it sounds, well, it actually doesn't sound at all, which is "wot its orl abart, innit?" :wink: I prefer tranny to extra 6dB of gain in the mic-pre. Not at all what I'd expect! It is even more transparent than the 2503 I tried too, if that's possible . . . Most surprising!

What I'd love to know is, what is the original spec? (150:600? - 75:300? - or wot?) Also,as it's a bit bigger than 2503 - could it perhaps handle more level, or has it perhaps got an even greater bandwidth? AND, most of all, who made it in the first place! It has an air of Sowter about it, but it is the wrong size/shape for any that I know.

Perhaps one of you worthy Gentlemen could shed a spot of light on my Conundrum?

Ever the greatful,

strangeandbouncy - ANdyTheP

Andy,
Are these the brown ones or the black ones?

You can check the input impedance of a transformer by wiring a series resistance (or potentiometer) to the input and adjusting it until the level is -6dB the normal level. Then the input impedance of the transformer is the same as the resistor value.

ax.jpg

The braaaahn are most definitely Marinair and it wouldn't surprise me if the blacks weren't too.

pedro

Dear Peter,

DoH! why didn't I think of that . . . . series resistors it is TOMORROW then! My one(s) are da black ones on the RHS, and f@@k me they sound fantastic! I know I have some more somewhere, but I'll be stuffed if i can find 'em . . .

All the best,

ANdyP

p.s. - if anyone has any for sale . . . . [/i]

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]

p.s. - if anyone has any for sale . . . [/quote]

ax2.jpg

I might be persuaded to let a couple go...!!!

OOh Err, Mrs!

I've got the 'Orn! - Don't sell 'em all tho', try one out on an API type mic pre. I think thet sound even sweeter than 2503 . . . .

Arr much wos u finkin' 'bart?

ANdyP :green: :thumb: :green:

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]. . . .

Arr much wos u finkin' 'bart?

[/quote]

Your first born should just about cover a pair... :green:

:shock:

For your sweatshop soldering facility, or as a chimney sweep?

ANdyP

ps. and I thought I was going to exploit him/her for profit to support me in my dotage . . . Ho Hum . . . .still, i simply HAVE to have those transformers . . .

pps, do you think my wife will miss him/her terribly? Is chocolate an entirely accceptible substitute? . . .

ppps. Anyone else expecting out there? Let's get together and form a BAND! judging by how his/her little jaw was wagging up and down in the scan, I;d say we;ve got a singer on our hands! (please, NOT a drummmer . . . . )

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]

For your sweatshop soldering facility, or as a chimney sweep?[/quote]

Sandwiches..... I find them so tender when new born.. :shock:

Latest posts

Back