SM57 Loading

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

I try not to blow my own horn much in this forum. One of my articles that just hit the stands, though, is a DIY project, so I think it's appropriate to mention.

The article's in the current issue of Recording, and concerns a set of experiments I did with my students on lower-impedance loading as a way to improve the performance of the Shure SM57. I also describe a Gizmo for folks to try it themselves (basically an XLR barrel connector or short cable with a resistor across the terminals), making it a DIY.

I'd be interested to hear folks' reactions to the article, particularly should you feel minded to try the experiment. Cost is <$10 with retail parts, almost free if you have the stuff in your parts box.

Peace,
Paul

Congadulations!
I would love to check that out!
I have this 57 capsule apart, I wonder if doing a xfmr experiment along the same lines would be of any value.
Try different iron DCR figures across the coil/mag motor assy.
cj

Yep. Got my issue last week and meant to post about it, but forgot to. Funny, I've spent lots of time experimenting with different loads on my preamp?s input transformer's secondary, specifically to get an improved sound from the 57, but never once thought about loading the 57's transformer.

That poor xfmr, NJ landfill.
That would be funny if you went back to the landfill and there were ten more of those transfomers there.

I noticed a Shure discontinued product page, might be some good info for mic freaks. eg, the 556....
Notice impedance sw on page 2.

http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/566.pdf

main brain drain:

http://www.shure.com/datasheets/guides-discontinued.html

yep
... and this sort of stuff can work just as effectively on line level stuff

interfacing is still an issue ... bridging inputs can't solve everything
know your equipment and read the manuals
OLD Crown Amp manuals and the Neve manuals ... even the OLD Urei manuals also had a few pages devoted to correct interfacing

interface stuff correctly
a perfect place for a little DIY
it's not rocket surgery ... or is that brain science ... or something like that

"widlarizing"? I actually looked that one up on an on-line dictionary - got nothing, of course, lol!

Very good points, Kev.

Back