what kind of Mic input trafo would you like in a console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Beyer ribbon mics actually have two elements, which is how they get the pickup pattern hypercardioid instead of fig 8. This might have some effect on the noise floor, perhaps the two mean they need less step up? My new M130 is very quiet but my old M200 seems to be noisier (hiss), though Im not sure why this would be.

M@

[quote author="mattmoogus"]The Beyer ribbon mics actually have two elements, which is how they get the pickup pattern hypercardioid instead of fig 8. This might have some effect on the noise floor, perhaps the two mean they need less step up? My new M130 is very quiet but my old M200 seems to be noisier (hiss), though Im not sure why this would be.
[/quote]

Only the M160 and M130 are dual-ribbons. The others are single.

I haven't checked the sensitivity specs, but I'd suggest the noise associated with the M260 is more due to the requirement of more gain at the preamp.... By the way, I assume you mean M260 and not M200? The M200 was a re-branded version of the M160 by Straesser.

Ribbons are known for having a "black" noise floor, so it's nice when you get to use them with very quiet preamps.

[quote author="Rossi"]So I suppose the Beyer trannies used in ribbon mics must be really cool. I wish I had some of those trannies as upgrades for chinese ribbon mics...[/quote]

I actually have a spare M260 trafo which I have not used yet. Again, I have heard some people comnplain that other transformers are better, but I love the Beyer ribbons, so I can't complain. Also, I can't see the ribbon motors distorting those small transformers since the signal is so small.

[quote author="rodabod"]By the way, I assume you mean M260 and not M200? The M200 was a re-branded version of the M160 by Straesser.
[/quote]

No mine is a Beyerdynamic M200. I think it might be a bass roll off version of the M160, as mine has less low end than my new M130. Ive never heard any mention of the M200 and where it fits into the Beyer catalog tho...but I know its a great mic.

M@

[quote author="mattmoogus"][quote author="rodabod"]By the way, I assume you mean M260 and not M200? The M200 was a re-branded version of the M160 by Straesser.
[/quote]

No mine is a Beyerdynamic M200. I think it might be a bass roll off version of the M160, as mine has less low end than my new M130. Ive never heard any mention of the M200 and where it fits into the Beyer catalog tho...but I know its a great mic.

M@[/quote]

If it has two red dots on the sides of the grill then it's an M160 (or similar). The reason for the two red dots is that the microphone's response is not spherical-like. The dots should usually be positioned so that you could draw an imaginary line through them from the ceiling to the ground. I assume it has a Gross-Tuchel connector?

PS. Older M160s tend to sound brighter which I guess is due to old ribbons losing bass response!

If the mic does have a built-in bass roll-off, then it is probably due to the transformer used as this is how Beyer often implement bass roll-off apparently.

Mine has the dots and the Tuchel connector but says M200 on it, and its a nickel finish instead of the normal black. What do the dots indicate and why is it best to have them pointing to the floor and ceiling :?:

M@

[quote author="mattmoogus"]Mine has the dots and the Tuchel connector but says M200 on it, and its a nickel finish instead of the normal black. [/quote]

That's it. It's another version of the M160.

What do the dots indicate and why is it best to have them pointing to the floor and ceiling :?:

The dots indicate the ends of the ribbons which are both aligned together, one on top of the other.

Now, the polar pattern is not round in shape (imagine you are looking straight into the grill) since (I think) the pattern will be wider across the axis of the ribbon.

I believe it is advised that you have the red dots vertically aligned, since this will provide better horizonatal rejection (ie. the polar pattern will be tighter in the horizontal field). As we don't tend to record musicians who are at different heights, I think this is the best approach.

Search on Google for "Michael Hartkopf Microphones" and read his description of the Beyer M160. I think he may give a reason there.

Roddy

[quote author="rodabod"]

Only the M160 and M130 are dual-ribbons. The others are single.[/quote]

Yes, I'm pretty sure the M500 is a single ribbon. The protective screen happened to be off, when I bought it, so I got to have a look at the ribbon element. I was stunned by how tight the gap was. There wasn't enough room to stick a thin piece of paper between the magnet and the ribbon.

[quote author="rodabod"]
Ribbons are known for having a "black" noise floor, so it's nice when you get to use them with very quiet preamps. [/quote]

I never quite understood what people mean by ribbons having a black noise floor. My chineese ribbons are about 18 dB-A self noise on an almost ideal preamp (EIN about -128 dBu @ 150 ohms). The M500 is about 16 dB-A, I would guess.

[quote author="Rossi"]So I suppose the Beyer trannies used in ribbon mics must be really cool. I wish I had some of those trannies as upgrades for chinese ribbon mics...[/quote]

[quote author="rodabod"]I actually have a spare M260 trafo which I have not used yet. Again, I have heard some people comnplain that other transformers are better, but I love the Beyer ribbons, so I can't complain. Also, I can't see the ribbon motors distorting those small transformers since the signal is so small.[/quote]

I absoluely agee. I would definetly be interested in Beyer ribbon transformers. Others too. Go Kubi, go! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back