G9 with different tubes (soundfiles inside)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I noticed the hiss as well. I thought maybe it was a recording that had the hiss in it and he was playing the recording through the G9. Or is this hiss noise from the G9?

It seems totally unacceptable in my opinion. I was surprised no one was mentioning it.

My G9 is pretty quiet all the way up to maximum gain. It's got a bit of noise at the highest gain settings, but nothing that I would call excessive or would make it unusable to my ears. Every pre I've ever heard has noise when you push them to the max. Also, some mics have a high level of self noise, which can also be a factor.

Cheers,
--
Don

[quote author="idylldon"]My G9 is pretty quiet all the way up to maximum gain. It's got a bit of noise at the highest gain settings, but nothing that I would call excessive or would make it unusable to my ears. Every pre I've ever heard has noise when you push them to the max. Also, some mics have a high level of self noise, which can also be a factor.

Cheers,
--
Don[/quote]

cool. that's reasonable. i think it was just a bad test/mic/unit.

Well, it is not noise. it is a small peak at a frequentie somewhere between 12-17 khz. Maybe termination of the secundary on the OEPs I used could solve this? With dynamic mikes you don't notice it at all.

Jens, did you use OEP or Lundahl's?

do you hear a difference what could be described as hyped high frequency between both on both builds?

not to confuse anyone reading Tommypipers comment, the G9 when well built is perfectly silent. I am not talking hiss, but a disproportional hi-freq to mid and low balance. Both channels have identical sound

after not having used this particular G9 for quite a while it appeared now that one channel became very noisy. Swapping a tube did it. Now it´s dead-silent

what you guys heard in the soundfiles might have been the beginning of a tube´s slow death
:guinness:

Back