Sonic Difference Between JLM 1290 And JLM 99v?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikki

I was wondering if there's enough difference between the JLM 1290 and JLM 99v to justify building the Micro 1290? The 99v i have been using has been exceptional, but i was wondering if the 1290 would give a more coloured flavour to the sound?
Vikki(uk) :grin:

yep
different enough
especially if you have chosen your input trafo to be different in both units

for the 1290 ... the Fader or Trim option may let you get more/less energy into the output trafo
might get some of the GreatRiverNV sort of tones

the topology is different enough to warrant both
talk to Joe about the options to best suit the variety you want

Theres a big difference in sound between them, for sure. But like Kev said you can get a bigger difference on both units by changing the input transformer. The 1290 is fussy about this though, it keeps roughly a 6k load on its transformer so whatever you use has to be ok with this. The 99V of course can be set up for anything.

What input xformer are you using at the moment? If you want more color, try one of the little Beyer transformers (there was a group buy for them recently and I think we have some at work).

Also if you have a dual 99V, try switching to the B output and making getting more gain from the first opamp. Thats how my 99V pre is set up and I love it. And of course theres the old trick of turning the gain up high and the output down low (without letting it clip). That will give you a big tonal change.

Depends how much you want/need though. Much more than what these options give and Id be looking at perhaps using a different mic.

M@

Where would you put the JLM BA with 1:4+99V+1:1:1 vs 99V vs 1290 if using only JLM Opamps and transformers in the 10 point scale?

I had a vocal recording session last week with my new BA 1499111 and just got a call from a band leader that the new preamp sounds awesome and so much better than the Amek CiB which we used before. I am thrilled with my new BA preamps but now I am agitated again as I sense it can become even better. So, how much better? Better in the sense of having more versatility with in/out gain/volume options on 99V and 1290 or much better sound in overall with these two more expensive preamps?

I was thinking to maybe build a G9 but now I am thinking to take the 99V or even 1290 route to replace my stereo BA 1499111. Anyone compared the G9 and 1290 or 99V so far?

I was checking the prices of 99V and 1290 KITs but it's too confusing with all those prices to get it down regarding how much will each KIT cost me per channel. Any idea?

OK, I think I got it now. 1290 stereo KIT with 1:1:1 and PSU but without the case would be 800$, correct?

What about the stereo 99V with all 99V Opamps and 1:4 plus 1:1:1 but without the case? Is 800$ enough?

I dont want to do us out of a sale here, but all those pres are on the same level of quality (in my mind) and I use them all on 'important' sources in the studio every session. I doubt youll notice an increase in 'quality' between the BA and the dual 99V, just perhaps a slightly different sound and more gain. The output control can be useful too but is by no means essential.

Check out the new BAD(ual) that Joe just put up on the BA thread. Its for people who need more gain but may not want to build a new rack with a +/- supply for the dual 99V.

The 1290 is just a different way of making mics louder and is more expensive because its more complicated, not nessesarily superior to the other options.

Theyre all 11/10 in my view. :grin:

M@

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your straight forward answer. I am glad I don't have to replace what I have already. BA with all the JLM iron installed sounds really impressive and there is plenty of gain. Like you said, I can sell my CiB now :green:

I have another question though. On which combo would you recommend the variable impedance option the most? I though to put it on my stereo 1499111 would be nice. Does this option come handy with every mic or just with ribbons.

Does the JLM output transformer give anything to the sound of the 99, or just a way of getting a balanced out? I'm using LL 1538 input transformers in the 99.
Vikki(uk) :thumb:

Well the 1538 is about the least 'transformer' sounding transformer you can put in there, it doesnt have much sound at all so if youre looking for more Id start there. The 1:1:1 is pretty darn clean too, and yes its mainly for balancing. It does smooth things out a little so I like to use it in mic pres but its not the place to look for extra mojo.

M@

You're right about the 1538 the sounds as it is, put a chinese mic on and it sounds like a chinese mic. Looking for perhaps a nice ribbon or something for vocals, sm7 also suggested.
I think my soundcard could be letting things down, i'm only using Maudio 2496 :sad:
Vikki(uk) :thumb:

Its probably just not the right pre if you want extreme color, and Lundahl transformers are definitely not colorful. Beyer and a single 99V with perhaps a high ratio step up (1:3) output transformer thats a bit too small would be about as colorful as youd get with on a BA.

What kind of mics are you using?

M@

Just using cheapo mics really, ADK Vienna...i can't get that to sound any good on my voice doesn't seem to have any body....AKG C451b a bit bright but works ok on acoustic......Beyer TGX 580 getting warmer this sounds quite nice for a dynamic with a good proximity effect, when you get closer more bass? Little Reslo RB Ribbon seems best so far on my voice but picks up mains buzz, i think i have it wired not quite right.
So looking for a warmish mic with lots of body :green:
JLM 99 have been great, just have to get better mics"

alo vikki
from my experience,here are the mics that have a nice body on vocals:
sm7
beyer m88
m441
....,and not expected:beyer m500(ribbon).
i`ve done recordings with mine jlm 99v with 1538 on the input,with those mics and don`t have lack of body.
ps:i remember now the akg solidtube,a mic that most folks don`t like,but works fine with my voice:i mean,warm.
from all the mics i mentioned,the m88 it`s the one i like the most,adding the fact that works magic in guitar amps,bass drum,bass amps,and what fits.
hope i could help you.
best regards
pedro
ps:how`s your marvelous finger picking doing?.i still remember the sample you showed us.

Hmmm...Id say a U47 then :razz: No really...save up and get one!
Or if you have a really bright voice try a Shinybox ribbon, I prefer the stock transformer but whatever. Its a great mic (really fat) for not much money. I love it on guitar amps and drum room aswell.

M@

Thanks everyone....
I'm looking at the new Beyer M99 i don't know if anyones tried that model, if not M88 i've always fancied that one.
Flatpicker which OEP would you suggest?
Still plonking on the old guitar mainly Telecaster stuff.
Regards

OEP A262A3E. You can get them from Farnell. The 99V has a footprint for it (as well as 11 other transformer types, according to Joe). http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM99v.htm

Latest posts

Back