Any notable differences between mic-parts and poctop's boards?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do NOT intend to rain on anyone’s kit building parade.
[I do NOT intend to rain on anyone’s kit building parade] -- I'm currently developing an "umbrella" kit!!! (joking!!!)

You can either purchase all of the fabric material, structure bars, main pole-piece, handle, etc. for $15 or, you can buy the "kit" of parts that you can assemble yourself for only $45.

And, if you order now.....there is -- FREE SHIPPING -- if you order the individual pieces, whereas the kit incurs a shipping charge of $8.95. Operators are "Standing By....." now to take your orders. ONLY WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!!! CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS APPLY!!! OFFER NOT VALID ON PLANET EARTH!!! OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR!!! YOUR RAIN PROTECTION MAY VARY!!! PARADE CONTENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!!

/

Last edited:
Sage wisdom all around. Appreciate hearing all the responses to this thread. I got into building mics through the AMI m49 kit. It was a valuable experience and definitely not a well documented kit, so I had to do a lot of head scratching and deep thinking. But there was enough on the ami site to get me pointed in the right direction to a final product. But its true that I did not learn so much about the inner workings of the mic... but it did spark my love for the elegant and wonderful process of building microphones. Any place to start is a good place to start... though i am glad to hear you went with the Poctop board and Ari's capsule. Keep it in the gdiy fam.

I do encourage you to get into the PCB layout stuff. Its super fun and lets you riff and iterate on ideas you learn along the way... And when you post about it @Khron will be sure to find an optimization in record time... its his super power. Eagle is definitely one way to go but its pretty costly (unless you have documented student status where it will be free license for a year). I use and love the free open source KICAD. So there is a no-cost entry point into that world of circuit board manufacturing.

I second the sentiment mentioned about the "why" of doing it all... I personally love to learn about the physics and build my skills. Its a big bonus and a point of pride to record with self built gear too though. But in my case I think I tend towards the "Love to build" side of things and the use is kind of secondary. I have a wonderful locker of commercially available mics that I can use for recording... sometimes the building actually keeps me from the recording sometimes. But its all for the joy of learning and growing.

Anyway, pleasure to read all yall's thoughts and feelings. KEEP BUILDING! :)

Latest posts

Back