Altec 438C Compressor as a Mic Pre....& RCA BC2B Questio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

http://www.purpleaudio.com/pdflib/altec438Acomp.pdf

A while back I made the mic pre part of this for a friend who was just starting home recording on his PC, money was limited ,we splashed out on a Sowter mic input tran but no out put tran.
I tried it with a Sowter OP tran I had and yes it sounded nicer.

I built the thing and tried it and thought it sounded good used it with condenser mics and had good enough level for pc recording.

Is it a cathode follower circuit ??? im still learning

The 12AY7 sounded good, I read lots of raves about this tube and I also like its sound.In other projects Ive often swapped a 12AX7 for the AY and the AY always seems to sound sweeter to me which brings me to my next questions

The RCA BC2B uses one of these dual triodes has no level control and a expensive output tran & everyone seems to rave about it, here some questions

what sort of circuit is it, ie not cathode follower
does that make it better
How would the 438 compare
Is the 438s Pre any use

I built a BC2B but not with the right sort of output tran, I used it with no output tran, was usable but had a boring sound compared to my other projects, I tried it with a Sowter OP tran too but as a cathode follower{ I think excuse my lack of knowledge} it didnt sound a lot better so I no I didnt give it a proper chance and that is why I still wonder.

I look forward to any thoughts on this thanks for reading

Cheers ..........Gary O.

Back