8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I order from AML exactly the BOM part for EZ1290 ( 71BDF30-03-1-AJN ) and the Carnhill transformers from AML as well so no wrong parts there...just wondering what it hidden to cause the POP sound problem?

All capacitors values and polarity are correct and my resistors are RPR 9372 series with clear values label and I do double check with DMM and placement on PCB before solders... I could live with the click but just curious what may have caused the POP..?

what's an idiot i am. I've found the problem the switch is a wrong one should be non-shorting, but somehow my ordering was a mistake one with the shorting switch...well i'm very sorry you guy for all the trouble try to help me out...I guess i have to order a few more correct non-shorting 71bdf30-03-1-ajn and more Carnhill from Colin again for few more channel build....thank you to great service from AML...and GroupDIY members...

Asiandude said:
what's an idiot i am. I've found the problem the switch is a wrong one should be non-shorting, but somehow my ordering was a mistake one with the shorting switch...well i'm very sorry you guy for all the trouble try to help me out...I guess i have to order a few more correct non-shorting 71bdf30-03-1-ajn and more Carnhill from Colin again for few more channel build....thank you to great service from AML...and GroupDIY members...

No worries. Glad you found it.

My four channel ez1290 that I built a while back I used 3055 instead of 2955 for the output transistors, so the shame is shared when it comes to installing the wrong parts.

Thanks!

Paul

Just want to share a brief comparison between EZ1290 to Hairball Lola even though they’re totally different design Preamp topology, but they do share the same I/O transformers clone after 10468 and LO1166.  The EZ1290 got a little more bottom end punchy and more focus, the Lola got little more details and open; however, they sound so similar in character of each other...I was surprise a bit on the Lola very well designed Preamp in my opinion... I will build 2 more EZ1290 as well as 2  more Lola...Neve flavor is so addictive...

awww nuts... just as i decided to build one EZ1290 and one ML12 in the same chassis, DIYRE goes and runs out of PCB's...  :(

Asiandude said:

I thought the "n" at the end of the switch part number indicated that it WAS non shorting. At least that's what the grayhill document I attached a page ago says. Anyway, I should mention that I emailed grayhill about the difference in part numbers between 71bdf30-03-1-ajn and 71bdf30-3-pjn (at mouser) and they said it was the same exact switch. It's just that they (abbreviated?) it.

Indeed when I ordered the mouser switches with the pjn suffix, they arrived with the 71bdf30-03-1-ajn part number on them. I've since soldered them to my boards.

Do the spacers under the output transistor heatsink need to be conductive or it doesn't matter (?) Looks like the heatsink itself is part of the circuit (transistor case) and supposed to connect via the mounting nuts underneath? Or is there supposed to be an isolating pad underneath the transistor? There is no mention of these in the build document.

No to both. You'll notice the pads where you bolt the transitor to the board are isolated from the ground plane. Unless you do something to cause a short with the bolt/nut to some other trace/connection, it won't matter if your fasteners are conductive.

Thanks!

Paul

Is there another USA source for the EZ1290 PCBs? I really want to make this my summer vacation project and I have a potential client who wants me to build them a few channels if they end up liking mine.

dp said:
Is there another USA source for the EZ1290 PCBs? I really want to make this my summer vacation project and I have a potential client who wants me to build them a few channels if they end up liking mine.

Hello, more boards have been ordered and should be back in stock soon here: https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/ez1290-preamp-pcb

Sorry for the delay but you may want to order all the parts from the UK. Those always take a while.

M.

Yeah thanks. He emailed me last week and said they would be in-stock in about three weeks. That gives me time to get my BOMs all in order and order the other parts I will need. Probably won't be able to start until July anyways.  8)

These are back in stock at DIYRE for anyone interested in knowing.

BUT, in the meantime I have decided to go a different direction... I'm going to go the 500-series DIY route instead after completing my BOM and discovering this is going to be a pretty darn expensive project. I'm sure it's worth every penny spent but I just can't swing that expense right now.

I am trying to achieve a different sound other than the Neve sound, is it possible to use Jensen Transformers with ez1290 v2.6?

madriaanse said:
Understandable. That Carnhill iron comes with a hefty price tag. Totally worth it though!  ;D

I am trying to achieve a different sound other than the Neve sound, is it possible to use Jensen Transformers with ez1290 v2.6?

For those using the JLM power plant. . . . Now that I've drilled my steel power supply case, I read an obscure bit in this thread about Joe recommending an aluminum case for those 317 regulators that are heat coupled (but not mounted) to the case. Dang. I hope it can still work. It's an electrical junction box, looks pretty cool. I guess this is just see it and try. But it's for 4 channels, and the box is very small, so I'm worried about heat.

Second question. For anyone using the power plant, the spot that says "case." I'm assuming this is the one and only connection to chassis from the power supply board. It connects via one of the the power plant mounting screws. Now, can the mains earth ground still connect to chassis right by the IEC AC input connector like usual, or do I have to route it to this "case" spot on the JLM board? Same question for the shield of the power supply cable that connects to the preamps. Can it be locally connected to chassis where it comes in the box, or do I have to ground it right at that mounting screw where the JLM ground is connected to chassis? I ask because I thought it was common practice to have the earth ground, power supply ground and chassis ground all connected at one point only, usually close to the AC input. ???

Which BOM should I download  v2.5 or v2.6? I recently just purchased the  EZ1290 PCB and I have a few more on the way help is welcome as I am a novice. :)

Latest posts

Back