Scott Dorsey article on mic mod - full version, anyone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A MXLV67 is a solid state microphone.   Older V69s are tube to a transformerless output circuit microphones.  I have a number of both.

http://www.mxlmics.com/products/Studio_mics/all_studio.html      I do see a v67i tube

I don't like the simple Schoeps like circuit Dorsey mod.  One can rework the stock v67/2001 circuit better than the Dorsey.  You do need to know what to do.  For one thing it does not have capsule EQ and the article is missing important thing like transistor specs.

X50 better?

MXLV69 (older transformerless) uses a tube as an anode charge amp follower.  I traced a cathode biased gain stage 200VDC B+ with a 50pf plate to grid capsule is about 50pf so overall gain should end up at -1.  That stage feed a partly epoxy? covered board for the transformerless out.  So except for noise and microphonics not much sound change when you change the tube.

You say "older transformerless V69" - is there a newer transformer balanced version?

I've only seen the transformerless version; I thought it sounded quite nice, but the noise floor was a bit high. The circuit layout is pretty bad. Terribly long connections in the high impedance area, and confusing wiring.

My v69ME is transformerless. Mine is noisy as well, which has caused it to sit on the shelf. I haven't used it very much.
No epoxy covered parts in mine, a small board with smd components sitting over 10 resistors on the front side board.
Gus, if you have a starting schematic I could try to finish it looking at mine... if we could figure out a way to improve this mic it would be cool...

Attachments

• v69_frnt.JPG
    v69_frnt.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back