Want to do remixes as a part of my Thesis Project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketeachesclass

I realize that I've only posted a few times, but I've been lurking for well over a year. It's been an invaluable resource!

Also, I hope this is the correct place to post this. I didn't feel like I should post in the other areas of the board.

As a part of my Masters' Thesis project, I've made three multitrack songs available for remix under the creative commons license. This includes all of the individual drum, guitar, bass, vocal and overdub tracks. I was hoping that some of you might have an interest in participating in the project.

The songs are available in Pro Tools format, as well as in raw .wav or .mp3 files (depending on how much bandwidth you want to use for the download). They are between 16 and 24 tracks apiece.

You're free to take the files, do a mix of your own, take the vocal, rewrite the song around it, play with, cut up, or otherwise "destroy" the audio in any way. My hope is to have the files posted back to the forum I have set up, so the community at large can talk about the mixes.

At the end of the project, the community will vote (I will not take part in the voting process), and the "winner" will receive a lava lamp to add awesome ambiance to their studio!

The website is:
http://www.veraellenmusic.com/remix/

Please check it out, and email me if you have any questions.

Mike Taylor
miketeachesclass <at> gmail <dot> com

Thanks!

I'm hoping to get all sorts of responses, from people that just want to practice on stuff someone else recorded (although I'm not exactly steve albini or alex newport) to people that really want to get into doing some hardcore remixing.

Get involved, and win that lava lamp!

Mike

I'm game for a remix !!
Will grab the stuff and possibly get to it in about two weeks if that's OK?

( just one song as three won't be possible, does that count ? )

Marty.

Oh, definitely!

Nobody's expected to remix everything, I just wanted to have multiple options up for people to play with!

Thanks!

Two weeks is great!

Mike

Nice idea. Let us all sit together and have some fun remixing songs. :guinness: :sam: :thumb:
If I find a few free minutes in the next two weeks I'll give it a try.

Everyone, please don't feel like the next two weeks is a deadline. I'd like to see this continue long past when I need the files I get for research purposes.

As far as what the thesis is about, there is quite a bit of information about it on the site, but in a nutshell, I wanted to experiment with "collaborative distribution" as a a vehicle for the distribution of music. The idea is that if you give people a vehicle to be more involved with the music you make, they'll be more likely to follow the group and remain interested as it grows and does other things. Thus, making its platform for distribution wider.

Also, it would be great to see people form long-standing collaborative relationships with these ideas, using the site as a springboard. One guy might say "I came up with a killer drum loop for this tune", and another might say "I came up with a killer new guitar part", and they might get together and make some music together.

This might seem a bit naive, but I'd like to see what can be accomplished!

Mike

Latest posts

Back