Wooden jam jar

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter purpose

If you've got an hour to kill, check out this guy and his supercar made of wood..!!

woodjamjar.jpg

http://www.joeharmondesign.com/

what about the fire risk :wink:

must be orf 'is feckin head....

peter purpose Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheddarsaki?
or is that Brie.S.A. ??? (BSA ) !!

:thumb:

Nah... the "Jarlsberg rocket" -It's powered by a 'Mozzarella 600', churns out about 730 Jersey-power. -The prototype is cornering a lot quicker since I got rid of the EDAM-P6 tires and switched to race-compound Emmentalers, though.

-Running it is likely to be expensive; -I'm only expecting about six miles per stilton.

:green:

Seriously though: that's a VERY nice project!

Keef

[quote author="SSLtech"]Curses... he stole my thunder!

I was about to stun the world with my motorcycle made entirely of cheese!
[/quote]

You can't make your motorcycle from solid concrete, like I make my speakers! :green:

The PINK walls bother me...

I mean... come on! He's doing manly-man stuff and the colors of the wall in his workshop is PEPTO-BISMOL PINK???

Peter Ustinov did a comedy album years ago called The Grand Prix of Gibraltar. In the opening historical commentary of previous events a car with a "controversial wooden engine" is described :razz:

[quote author="Kid Squid"]what about the fire risk :wink:

[/quote]

It is not wooden, it is composite.

[quote author="Wavebourn"][quote author="Kid Squid"]what about the fire risk :wink:

[/quote]

It is not wooden, it is composite.[/quote]

It is not composite, it is laminate. :roll:

Is he going to finish it with C37 lacquer?

[quote author="Kid Squid"]Wavebourn,

fancy showing some pics ?, got a house build coming up soon, and I'm gathering ideas for different things - speakers is one of them....

[/quote]

Woofers on the floor made of solid concrete (really, a composite material since ordinary concrete shrinks and cracks); Alpine SWR1242D drivers are used. I take 40-200 Hz frequency range from them (36 Hz Fs, sealed boxes -- no mechanical resonances used for equalization). Volume inside is damped by memory foam glued to linoleum glued to concrete.

Stereo speakers made as line arrays. As the result, no "sweet spot" because line arrays fire cylindrical wave, i.e. horizontal dispersion is wide, vertical directivity is narrow. Also, reflections from floor and ceiling are minimal. Excursion is small, and 50W drive gives 120 dB SPL that is more than enough and nearly equal on any distance in my room. Each side uses 8 cannibalized Infinity Reference 4" speakers (with tweeters removed and dust caps added). For tweeters each side contains 16 Fostex speakers made for notebooks.
Center channel contains 2 Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers, also cannibalized (tweeters removed). For tweeters I used array of 64 speakers made for cellphones (narrow pole in the middle, in front of sitting listeners).
Since left side is close to the wall I put there a pillow made of memory foam and covered it by a flag with my family coat of arms.
2 rear speakers are again Infinity Reference 6.5", wall between them is covered as well by a memory foam.
For effect channels I use an ordinary Marantz 7200 amp (it has the best surround processor I ever heard), for stereo I use a tube amp I built with 4x6L6 per channel (I take 50W from each channel only). The amp has stabilized screen grid voltage (lowered for better linearity) and works in class A. I build my SE-PP Alligator to replace it.

WavebournHTF.gif

WavebournHTR.gif

Subwoofer: it is a concrete horn under the floor, with 2 12" Pioneer drivers.
I take from it frequencies below 40 Hz. It is made horizontally, curved up and opens to the room through a big went hole.
A wall above contains a fake door, made of 2" plywood, coveded by linoleum, memory foam, and vinyl. The sub is driven by my SS amp that works in class A+C. Nice (it is 3-channel, drives woofers as well).
As the result, I got very good and clear sound image, using few properly designed and placed speakers. Though, my wife don't like linoleum on the wall in a bedroom (line arrays are mounted in the wall), so I plan to cover it by concrete sheets.

sub_mouth.gif

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"][quote author="Wavebourn"][quote author="Kid Squid"]what about the fire risk :wink:

[/quote]

It is not wooden, it is composite.[/quote]

It is not composite, it is laminate. :roll:

Is he going to finish it with C37 lacquer?[/quote]

I don't know how to finish my studio monitors... Any idea?

Also a composite, but no wood.

shelfjet_1.gif

shelfjet_2.gif

Totally cool, and totally instant divorce if I brought something like that into the living room. "It's not a hole babe, it's a subwoofer horn".

What if you use a nice wooden veneer bonded to the cab if it is flat, or to 1/4 ply to the cab if it is not? The fabric makes it look like a pillow speaker. If you like the texture of the fabric, what about the textured tri-colored spray paints?

Those monitors would collapse even a sound anchor.
Mike
PS: and what's that about concrete sheets? Kinky schtupf :shock:

If those are concrete, then what about a tile finish ?
:green:

===============

RE: original post pic:

The PINK walls bother me...

I mean... come on! He's doing manly-man stuff and the colors of the wall in his workshop is PEPTO-BISMOL PINK???

This is what us guys do, when our sisters or daughters are away at school....turn their rooms into workshops.

=FB=

[quote author="Freq Band"]

If those are concrete, then what about a tile finish ?
:green: [/quote]

For curved surfaces? :roll:
They will look like a Space Shuttle. :cool:

Back