German Preamps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opacheco

Hi,

Which one Solid State German Preamp is the most sought????.......What is the prefered for profesional use(V6**, V6**/*, V2**, V9**, V4**, V3**......)??......What is your favorite Solid State German Preamp(and why!)???

Please comments about your experience!

Thanks a lot,

Opacheco.

Different pre's for different flavours or applications, I think.

Well, I don't know them all.
I used to have Tab V372d, and ANT/Telefunken V672's, and a Siemens V72. The only remaining german amps that I still have is a pair of U274's.
I like my Siemens U274 on guitarcabs very, very much, but many people will disagree I think, because it doesn't sound very clean. Far from it, actually. But that's the reason why I like these so much, hahaha.

The most sought after ones are probably the Neumann V476's, but the Telefunken/ANT 676 and Siemens V276 usually raise good prices on ebay as well....

But, why do you ask ?

helterbelter said:
.........But, why do you ask ?

helterbelter, thanks for your comments,

I am interesting to get a good sound reference in order to buy some of them, but I like to know the practical experiences and comments of using these boxes too!!!

Any comments??

Opacheco.

hi
the v476 or filtek mv-1 are of the cleanest type. 80 dB of available clean gain.
I have some and they do wonders with ribbon mikes!
it seems like the v276 and v676 is a nice more coloured contender but I don't own one, only the echoes from topics once read..

best
Maxime

Thanks a lot for your comments!!....BUT....Which one is the most sought?, Which one is the holy grail of these solid states preamps???...What is the best sound of them that you has heard???

How about Neumann V475-2b, WSW Siemens 811403, Siemens V275/01......????

Opacheco.

the most sought after is the v76s,, I got it wrong, its about solid state... I'm not sure there is a most sought 

nicholas

Well, the question was indeed about solid state amps, not the tube ones.

opacheco said:
Thanks a lot for your comments!!....BUT....Which one is the most sought?, Which one is the holy grail of these solid states preamps???...What is the best sound of them that you has heard???

How about Neumann V475-2b, WSW Siemens 811403, Siemens V275/01......????

Opacheco.

Well.... as said before, it depends to what you want to do with it ! From your reply, I've got the suspicion that you don't really know what the numbers are about.
V stands for "Verstärker", which is german for Amplifier.
Vx72 is a multi purpose amp. Can be used for line applications, summing, gain make up for passive faders or passive EQ's, and even as micpre (with limited gain though). The V72 is the most famous of all Vx72 types. The single V672 (not the dual version !) is also very popular, followed by the Siemens V272.
Vx75 is a summing amp. It could be used as micpre, but as far as I know the Siemens V275 is the only one that's usually used as micpre. The most sought after Vx75 is without doubt the Neumann V475, particularly the 2B version because it's easy to get rid of the high cut circuit.
Vx76 is a dedicated micpre module. The most popular/desired one is the V76. These usually go for 1500 euro (2000 USD) or more.  The V276, V475, and  the (Telefunken) V676 are together the second most desired.. I think this has got to do more with the companynames that built them, than the build quality. Neumann and Telefunken are "hotter" than TAB and Siemens, and they are " hotter" than ANT, Filtek, BFE, LAWO. It's a bit weird. The Siemens V72 has a better buildquality than the Telefunken V72, but still the Telefunken raise more money than the Siemens. ANT and Telefunken built the V6xx series together, to the same standards and specifications. Still the Telefunken's are worth more than the ANT's.

There are a few more, but not so consistent as the ones mentioned above
Vx73 is usually a monitorspeakeramp (mostly 4 watt).
Vx74 is usually a line amp (sometimes combined with multiple outputs).
V78 is a talkbackmicamp, but the U274, U674 and some others as well,
Vx82 is usually a distributionamp (1 line-input, 4 to 6 outputs).

Oh, now we're talking about numbers :
below 100 is made by various companies: Eckmiller, Maihak, Siemens, Neumann, Tab, Telefunken, Klangfilm (maybe a few more). Most of these (but not all) are tubedevices
200 series is made by Siemens.  only Discreet electronics, and DOA's. No opamps afaik.
300 series is made by TAB. (Discreet/doa/IC based, I don't remember....)
..... Oh, here is a copy/paste from Kubi site , haha :

3-digit numbers: 1st digit indicates manufacturer.
2xx Siemens
3xx TAB
4xx Neumann
6xx Telefunken (later ANT)
7xx Telefunken/AEG
9xx Lawo (later used by ANT, too)
11xx BFE
20xx Curt Hensmann, later Adis

[U: Dynamics, talback modules, drivers for meters, etc.]
[V: Any sort of amp]
[W: EQ's, faders, pan, other misc stuff (ms-matrix, oscillator, etc.)]

So, what are you looking for ? A summing box, mic pre?

Yes, older than the V400's. I've read a lot that it's legendary.  ;)

I did have the summing amp from that era (duo PSV), fully discreet built, very pleasant coloring sound, so I can imagine the PV-1 will be fantastic.

here are some more:

RFZ v781
RFZ mv810
Lorenz v721

those are east german, I have the v781 and like them a lot
... look here: http://vox-o-rama.de/
some berlin based studios changed their preamps from old west broadcast
to east broadcast.. aslo very good quality and you make good money selling
the v7x's to japan or usa.

nicholas

Latest posts

Back